GTR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, new here and would app some input from those willing.

In short, I want to build the best possible skyline for around 10k.
This includes buying the car and tuning it. Everything.
After doing some research on the weight I found...

1666kg R34

1496kg R33

1088kg r32 <<<<

I came to the conclusion that from a tuning/performance POV (which is my main motivation) the R32 is the one to have, even though I prefer the styling of the 33 and 34. 300 kilos is like two very fat people out of your motor and that can't be a bad thing when it comes to performance.

I have a good year until this is going to be a reality and have time to really consider all options.

So my question is, how would you go about doing it-if you could do it all again and performace was your main priority?

I can't do any of the body/engine work myself, so I would need to pay a tuner. Computers yes. cars no.
Is it best for me to buy a blown R32 for around 4-5 k then spend the other 5 k on the engine, or am I likely to get a really nice R32 with loads done for that money?

The thing is, I know most skyline owners drive their car hard, so deep down I really would like to have something that I know has not been ranted (except by me).

1) If I spent 5k rebuilding the engine/mapping, what sort of realworld, everyday, safe power could I expect?

2) I want something that's relatively bullet proof, but would run about 11.5 or less 1/4 mile. Is that realistic of me?

3)It's an everyday car, so has to be practical as possible, good throttle response etc.

If anyone could gimmie some of their insight I would be grateful.
I was considering an evo, but you reach 360 BHP on those and then you ned to spend shedloads to get noticable gains. Plus the noise of Skyline makes me smile and I won't be happy until I won one so I have little choice in the matter.

Thanks and if I missed anything please feel free to add:)

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Standard R32 is 1480Kg, you have to do alot of work to get it to 1088Kg, I don't think even the race cars were that light.

Your budget sound optimistic, but it might be possiable, there was a car in the for sale section that might fit the bill.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
10000GBP,buy a good R32GTR for that money,with rebuild engine and the right mods,because if you do it yourself,it is a lot more then that

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
if you spend around £8k on a good R32 GTR, that leaves you about £2k left for tuning. This would probably get you (assuming the car is standard)

Exhaust inc de-cat pipe
Filters
Power FC and a basic engine map.

That lot might even step over the £2k limit a bit.....

To be honest, I would spend the £9k on the car (which will get you a good one) and keep the £1000 in reserve to aid you for any potential issues that might arise, as should that happen you'll get stiffed.

On your £10k budget I would say that your only option is an R32 GTR, the other two cars (33 and 34 GTR's) are out of your price range (a 34 GTR is around £30k still)

Stage 1 tune for an R32 GTR which takes a standard engine to approx 380-400bhp roughly costs about £4-5k I think.

These cars are not cheap to own and run, but then again, when new they were not cheap to buy and are classed as a super car - and parts cost as such.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks so far, I thought it was too good to be true thinking the R32 was that light. I got it off the web somewhere:chairshot

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
When you think most of the weight is infact the engine, drive train etc , it would be interesting experiment for me to weigh whilst i have it off the car the rear axle, engine including diff, props etc.

Then can figure out - suspension how much the main chassis weighs and then you can figure out easily where your going to end up in reality.

Personally I think 1100kgs is obtainable but with a lot of hard work, its where my goal is.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Does anyone actually know if there is some sort of power to boost ratio?

I.E.
how much weight saving would = a .1 bar of boost equate to weight wise or visa versa?

Example.
500 BHP skyline that weighs 1300 kilos does a consistent 11.4.
Then owner reduces weight by 100 kilos.

What is the imapct on the time? Also is there a basic table flying around showing what mods have the biggest impact on 1/4 mile performance.

I.E.
Sequentiual gearbox= 1 second.
0.7 bar raised to 1 bar = 0.5 second.
-200 kilios = ???

Just like a sort of performace at a glance table.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
For £10k you could do a hell of a lot worse than buying mine for £9750 (shameless plug) :clap:

After doing all the work and spending all the money, I know by far the cheapest (though not as rewarding) way of doing it is to buy something that someone else has already spend thousands of pounds and hours on :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
A genaral rule on the 1/4 is every 50kg you take off your car, you lose 0.1 off your 1/4 time, this is only a rough estimate not an exact science.

It has to be said, that running the 1/4 mile has a fair bit more to it than just power to weight tho, grip is a major factor....

This performance calculator is pretty accurate, I've found -

http://www.letstorquebhp.com/calculator.asp

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Pikey said:
For £10k you could do a hell of a lot worse than buying mine for £9750 (shameless plug) :clap:

After doing all the work and spending all the money, I know by far the cheapest (though not as rewarding) way of doing it is to buy something that someone else has already spend thousands of pounds and hours on :)

I have to agree there. Single Turbo GTR with build internal for under 10K is a steal. Not to menion everything that is on Jeff's car seems to have broke and replaced with something else, so I can't see anything else breaking anytime soon. :p

Jeff, maybe you should get it mapped and just sell it as a over 600bhp car...be alot easier to sell that way.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I would agree with all the above - buy a properly sorted car already in the UK owned by a known club member like Pikey and let someone else spend the thousands of pounds getting it sorted for you. £10k buys you a well sorted R32 GTR but not a lot in tuning terms...

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Nocturnal said:
Not to menion everything that is on Jeff's car seems to have broke and replaced with something else, so I can't see anything else breaking anytime soon. :p
:bawling: :p

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info. Not going to mess you around Porky, I won't be in a position until next year to do this so good luck with Sale. Sure it'll sell.

I prolly would otherwise.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Porky!?!?

Is he trying to tell you something mate? :D

Yeah as everyone says, I don't think you can buy and tune a r32 for 10K, I could be wrong

Jeff, I really like your car mate best of luck with the sale

Sev

1 - 14 of 14 Posts