GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've decided that I want to buy a Skyline. Now... I'm not sure which model to get. I don't want to spend a huge amount on the car. Right now I'm really just looking for a Skyline that isn't going to cost ALOT but has the potential for me to make it great. I've been looking at earlier Skylines like the GTS-T does anyone here have some feedback on that model? As I said, I don't want to spend a huge amount but i'd rather get a car with alot of room for improvment than something that will always be lacking.

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Might be worth stating what you call "not a huge amount".
Different Strokes for Different Folks.

RM
PS -
What you talkin' bout Willis? ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the ones i've seen for sale around me (Toronto) are around $8,500 - $18,000 all around 1989 - 1991.

The most i'd want to spend is $20,0000 at the moment and build the car up from there.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Hi mate, firstly welcome to the GTROC, hope you enjoy your stay here.

$20,000 Canadian, that's about £9,500, if my maths is correct. For that kind of money, you should be able to pick up a very good R33 GTS-t in standard trim, with some money left over for mods. You should be looking at 95 or 96 cars at that price. Most cars will probably have minor mods already done, induction kit, down pipe and exhaust. If not, there the first things you should be looking to do.

Or you could possibly get an early R32 GTR, but it would most lightly need a lot more care and attention, as it would be older, 91 or 92.

These cars are bought by enthusiasts, so they are generally looked after quite well.

Hope you find what your looking for.

Andy.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I believe that only the R32 model is legal in Canada due to import restrictions on anything newer than 15 yrs old.

This narrows your choices somewhat.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I believe that only the R32 model is legal in Canada due to import restrictions on anything newer than 15 yrs old.

This narrows your choices somewhat.
If that the case, then it's an R32. :) It's personal taste which to go for, GTS or GTR. If he's after doimng the work himself, either would be good.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Being a 15 year rule, there's a lot of bad condition R32 GT-R's and GT-St's in Canada - as most importers there have brought in examples on price, rather than quality.
There are some good ones though. Check here: Racebred Performance - Home

Miguel.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
one way to go about it is to buy a very cheap R32, then build it up properly. Budget around $10,000US for a complete overhaul plus a bit of tuning, and you'll have a pretty reliable rocket.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
and in terms of models, there can be only One. And It is the R32 GT-R. Nothing else touches it.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
one way to go about it is to buy a very cheap R32, then build it up properly. Budget around $10,000US for a complete overhaul plus a bit of tuning, and you'll have a pretty reliable rocket.
Most cheap ones will have rusty rear arches, worn gearboxes, worn turbos, brakes, suspension, tatty interior, accident repairs, etc. Best to buy a genuine low mileage one, rather than a cheap one and find yourself wanting to sell it when you realise how much money it needs...

There's good reason why there are cheap GT-R's for sale in Canada. They're anything but.

Miguel.

·
6,817 Posts
Indeed Miguel, I noticed that many GTRs or GTSs in Canada(also Australia) are crap-junk. Some exporters are driving around the secondhand-parts shops and junk-yards in Japan, to find some decent wheels or other replacment parts, to fit them on the 150.000Yen GTSs, they just bought from an other junk yard . . . .

Thoses cars are just worth junk-kilo prices . . as they will fail after a week anyway.:chairshot

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies. I gather that I should probably have one imported as opposed to buying one here as they're basically garbage most of the time. Looking at other sites I think i'm going to be looking at $16,000 US for a decent 90' GTR.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts