GTR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there, im looking around to buy my first skyline either a 32 or 33 gtr, ive always wanted one and now im finally old enough to get reasonable insurance! at the moment i have a 63 vw split camper im hoping to sell to fund the skyline, obviously with the nature of these vehicles they have there problems as does every car, but nearly every car i see for sale has had a rebuilt engine, last thing i want to do is buy one and it blow up straight away i simply wont be able to afford to pay for a new engine for a while at least! i always look after my cars iv had jap turbo cars before and theyve always been reliable as i take excellent care of them! dont thrash the life out of them! is a skyline a realistic buy or are they simply a never ending bill?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
You pay for what you get to be honest. There are a lot of cars out there that have been round the block a few times. Prices are slowly starting to creep back up, the cars were cheap at the time, people bought them and couldn't afford to maintain them so they were either broken or sold on. You will see the same few cars doing the rounds on pistonheads. Your best of getting a low mileage imported car that hAsn't seen our salted winter roads or getting a car where the owner has got all the paperwork and credentials that you need check out the traders section and for sale section to get an idea what's available.

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
Tom

Look at my advert here somewhere

A BEUT for sale

You will get the finest tuned and usable 12 year old car with less than 50,000 miles (Eng only done 7.5k miles) in the best R33 GTR Colour, Midnight Purple.

It aint cheap, but then the best never is !!!

Steve

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers guys, im under no illusions about the care and maintainance these cars need its just finding the right one! i had a fully forged engine build in my old glanza its nice to have peace of mind, i suppose its like i thought really, buy a good one and pay once or buy a cheap one and pick up someone elses mess, i priced my glanza way above the other rubbish about and it sold in the end just took its time.....i think ill have about 13k to spend....ill keep looking! cheers Tom.

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
Oops, you better keep saving then !! Honestly, as you say there is a lot of "rubbish" out there and to find the perfect needle in the hay stack which is right in front of you NOW!!!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Tom 13k is a very sensible budget and with research it will buy a very nice 32 or 33GTR. If your looking for standard or near standard I'd go 32GTR and you shouldn't lose much over the next few years if anything. Lookin the trade cars for sale section.

PS don't let Steve put you off...:)

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
Hey, I aint putting anyone off, just trying to get the dude into a lovely, well kept, no expense spared, example of the best GTR ever a Midnight Purple R33 GTR

Ignore Malc - he's got an ugly R34 !!!

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
I agree with blue34 on budget .

Actually you dont need £13K you can get a really good 32 or 33 for 10K probably less if you dont want a tuned one.

Personally I would look for a stage 1 car - anything with more power you really do need to know the history (IMHO) .
You should get a mint 32 for that and probably find a really good 33 as well with history.

Just because there are a lot of dogs with no history about does not mean there are no good cars .

It is a question of hunting around and it may involve a fair bit of driving as not every ad is accurate . (but you clearly know that already)

Good luck

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks so much for the advice chaps, id love your car steve but i simply cant afford it, however i think its worth every penny!! so so nice!! i had looked at the newera site but i always wonder if the cars are worth all that extra money theres a nice 32 on there at the moment priced at 13.5k i keep thinking i might find my prefered 33 gtr for that price.....probably not in the same condition though! so can the bottom end give up at any time or is it solely down to life its had and servicing etc?

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
You always only hear about the ones that go wrong - there are not many posts starting " my GTR is still going strong after 90,000 miles" but many are .
Most go pop when abused - usually too much boost or expecting a std engiine to run 500 for ever.
The std bottom end is fine on std power or stage one but most people cant leave it at that (self included).
To expect a ten + year old engine to run that power permantly is optomistic but quite a few do for quite a time.
Also its needs regular oil changes because it is a high performance engine even when standard and this does not always happen.
In short a decent serviced RB engine will last for years if not tuned too much.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thats great advice guys, thanks very much!! :) still swaying towards the 33 although i do like that yellow 32 for sale at the moment :) slightly out of my price range though!

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
thats great advice guys, thanks very much!! :) still swaying towards the 33 although i do like that yellow 32 for sale at the moment :) slightly out of my price range though!
If you have £13k to spend you could get yourself a very nice R32. On the assumption that you don't want a massive single turbo monster there are plenty of R32s for around £7-10k.

If you want certainty of lifespan there's no reason why you couldn't pick up a £7k car with the chassis/brake set-up you like (in good body condition) and then spend £5-6k on a fresh engine. If one of Rob's RB30 bottom ends is £2k (or just a normal bottom end refresh) then spend another £1-2k on turbos/injectors etc (I'm thinking N1s or GT-SS style) and say £2k on having it fitted and mapped.

Won't be a mega power build but if the job were done right you'd have an engine good for years to come.

Of course the ideal is to find someone who has just had this done (with receipts)...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts