GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what everyones opinion is on buying a car for 3 months?

Finally in the position to buy but will be moving in around 3 months and would no longer need / have space for a car.

Main reason I haven't bought yet is due to concerns when it comes to sell the car a few of the points being:
  • How long it takes to sell the car (I'd have a place to keep the car but would only be able to do viewings at weekends)
  • Depreciation. If I find the right GTR I don't expect to take too much of a hit but with end of furlough in September, end of summer and return to office potentially happening around the same time I'm worried car prices may drop a lot. Most likely not the case for a GTR but possible for mainstream cars like an RS3.
Just wondering what everyones thoughts would be on this? I'd potentially looking to buy a car thats just been serviced and mot'd so I'd not have to get anything done during my brief ownership.

·
Super Moderator
16,038 Posts
Only suggestion if you're dead set is to give it to an agent to sell. Ownership likely to cost you at least £3K as you're buying at most expensive time of year and selling when a lot of other people are thinking of selling after summer.

·
R35 Section manager
11,192 Posts
To be or not to be that is the question?!

Life is short, buy at the right price and do it.
If you are able to store it whilst it's for sale you should be ok. List it at a fair price and it will sell.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
You can always hire one for £300 - £400 a day if you want the GTR fix without any of the hassle of getting rid of it. If you were having it for longer periods the day rate will drop further.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Not worth the hassle/expense in my opinion. I think you'll lose a lot of money and a future prospective buyer might think the car has an issue and that is why you are selling so soon after buying. That'll make it harder to sell for strong money.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can always hire one for £300 - £400 a day if you want the GTR fix without any of the hassle of getting rid of it. If you were having it for longer periods the day rate will drop further.
Yeah was tempted to just hire one for a week instead of buying. May be the most viable option.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Just curious what everyones opinion is on buying a car for 3 months?

Finally in the position to buy but will be moving in around 3 months and would no longer need / have space for a car.

Main reason I haven't bought yet is due to concerns when it comes to sell the car a few of the points being:
  • How long it takes to sell the car (I'd have a place to keep the car but would only be able to do viewings at weekends)
  • Depreciation. If I find the right GTR I don't expect to take too much of a hit but with end of furlough in September, end of summer and return to office potentially happening around the same time I'm worried car prices may drop a lot. Most likely not the case for a GTR but possible for mainstream cars like an RS3.
Just wondering what everyones thoughts would be on this? I'd potentially looking to buy a car thats just been serviced and mot'd so I'd not have to get anything done during my brief ownership.
You could go on a track experience in a GTR. You get a short experience in an older car which will be quite cheap. Your plan could be v pricey. GTR prices are v strong atm (mine sold this morning). This may soften in 3/4 months.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
You could go on a track experience in a GTR. You get a short experience in an older car which will be quite cheap. Your plan could be v pricey. GTR prices are v strong atm (mine sold this morning). This may soften in 3/4 months.
Car chase heroes are very cheap if you go through Groupon. They always have a GTR and a R34 to blast round a track with, very good value and you may get Barry (BarryP) as your instructor.

·
Vendor
3,396 Posts
If you buy one just make sure it’s a decent car at sensible money with correct history etc.

Buy the car and readvertise it straight away, You can have the experience of owning one then and it may give you an opinion of one for the future.

Depreciation is’nt an issue I’ve seen of late, Infact quite the opposite. I think the cars have been under valued for the last 2 yrs but have now got the recognition they deserve.

·
Ooo Matron !
2,336 Posts
If I was buying and I went to look at a car that someone was selling after only a very short period of ownership, that would ring massive alarm bells as to what was up with it.

·
Super Moderator
16,038 Posts
That's why I said consider selling it via an agent, they could offer it with an inspection then.

·
Vendor
3,396 Posts
I’ve bought sports cars and had them a day and sold them on. I’ve never struggled, I’ll say it again, that if you have a nice car with history it will sell. I’ve sold two catorgorised gtr’s to one person as he was happy with the first he bought and came back for a newer model.

The markets full of crap, the good cars are few and far between.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Potentially found an 09 Model I might jump on.

650R by SVM
47k Miles
4 Owners
Fresh MOT with no advisories (no advisories on any previous ones either)
Engine / Gearbox service 2 weeks ago at Race Junky
New 2012 OEM clutch 2 weeks ago
Bell Housing done
+ a bunch of other upgrades done.

What sort of price do you think its worth given the above?

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
You have to go on condition. The upgrades don't add any real value and in some cases, can lower the value (particularly changed wheels and lower body parts e.g. skirts). Given recent discussions on We buy any car valuations, I would run it through their online valuation calculator and start from there (y)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yup from pics and discussions sounds like its in good condition. WBAC valuing at £33k.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts