GTR Forum banner

Buying Used GTR's - Help appreciated

2K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  GTRYorks 
#1 ·
I've been looking at purchasing a GTR for some months now but finally got business and finances in order and ready to commit now.

Some of my concerns relate to the significant variances in used prices currently from either trade or private sellers. In recent years I have lost big $$ on a new Corvette Z06 due to forced circumstances and want to avoid a big loss this time. So I have no problem with depreciation (I will budget 20% depreciation per year) but clearly have a wish to buy as "clever" as possible in these uncertain times.

My queries is the perceived value, in 12 months time, between a 2009 (09) non-Nav car against a nearly new 2009 (59) Sat-Nav car. It is "finger in the air" guessing but I would appreciate any thoughts.

I'm looking for a UMS car and would pay premium over other colour. I like the black edition aethetics and again will pay more against the Premium models.

Currently prices seem to be circa £57,500-list for a used (delivery mileage)Sat/Nav car and circa £52,000 for a 09 June black editiion car with 2,000 miles on the clock. In your opinion will £5,500 premium hold up in 12 months time??

Retail used prices for Black Editions seem to be £1k more than Premium Models and £2-3k more than standard models. Do you think this is reasonable.

When transferring ownership do you need to register the new owner with Nissan or a HPC to get the same benefits, e.g pick-up and collection for servicing?

BTW - Great board with very few idiots and huge amount of passion for these stunning cars. I hope to be a lucky fellow owner shortly.
Thanks for any advise.

See less See more
#2 ·
The new supply profile of this vehicle is something like this.

Essentially 2 slugs of 750 ish cars; non nav from April 09, then the nav backbook of orders delivering from September 09, which is, I believe, a similar number.

There is then ongoing new sales; |I've heard a figure of 250 a year, for new car sales.

There is clearly unsold new car and used supply available; I have no idea how big either of these are though.

I suspect the bulk delivery of nav and non nav cars has had the effect of amplifying the natural number of cars that won't sell or get sold on; clearly there are 'can't afford its', speculatory sales and people who don't gel with it and there is the economy.

Overall supply looks low though and residuals ought to be good; that said, a 60 grand Nissan may always be a niche market

#3 ·
Hello Mate,
Im in a similar position as yourself at the moment. Im contemplating a low mileage premium car, in silver, if i can get it. I priced a new nav car a few weeks ago, and that was around £61k, with tracker and parking sensors. The secondhand ones im looking at, are around £51k, to start with, so, £10k difference right away, although no nav, but im not interested in the nav. I would expect the prices to fall further over the next few winter months, but not by a massive amount. You could wait forever, for the right price etc, but if you buy with your head at the beginning, i think you are onto a winner, and not have the remorse of blowing a lot of dough on a new car. Ive also had enough of doing that. My other car of interest to me is a 997 turbo, but the cars i would be happy with, are all above £70k, so potentially over £20 more again, and for what ?. Im not a badge snob, and as far as everything ive read, and done my homework on, the GT-R does have the legs on the Porsche. Also, my last couple of cars have had DSG type gearboxes in them, which are very addictive if thats your thing. Im hanging around for just the right secondhand car, and again, reading everything i can on the GT-R, as regards, warranty issues, servicing and tyre prices etc. The GT-R can almost seem to be to good to be true at times, but the more i delve and glean from the internet, all appears to be genuine. Let us know how you get on, regards, SIMON.

#5 ·
Hi Maxxwaxx,
If im entirely honest, i would always want to buy a standard car to begin with, especially the GT-R, as i know it would keep me entertained performance wise, for quite a while. Im not saying i wouldnt download the access port onto the car myself, because ive modified cars in the past with Superchips and the like, but i would like a standard car starting point, regards, SIMON.

#6 ·
Hi Simon,
I agree with your views against 911 TT. I've tried both cars on numerous occasions and GTR certainly holds it's own in terms of driver enjoyment. The Porsche does have a good feeling about it in terms of quality and build but I can't really see a reason to spend anymore money other than brand / badge issues. Frankly my choice will be to go away from an elite brand like Porsche as my customers respond in different ways to me turning up in a 911!
What I can say is that the used 911 will be more reliable in depreciation than the GTR as the market has yet to show it's "card". All I need to do is avoid the catastrophic depreciation I experienced with the ZO6 which has left a "scar" on my time with that car.

Access Port - Personally I agree with Simon, I would buy a standard car and modify to personal taste if felt necessary.
Black Edition - Any feeling on perceived value over a Premium Model?

#8 ·
Black Edition - Any feeling on perceived value over a Premium Model?
In my opinion this choice has always been down to personal preference, and should never have had any financial figure associated with it.

Do you want want a) dark grey wheels, or b) the same wheels in an almost imperceptibly darker shade of grey?

Do you want a) black seats, or b) the same seats with a red stripe?

Do you want a) grey headlining or b) black headlining?

If your answers were mostly b) then that'll be another £1,000ish please!

Originally, there was more distinction when the wheel choices were between silver (for Base and Premium) and the eventual Premium Edition grey wheel colour (for the Black Edition), but still not enough to justify the additional cost.

Having said that, most people went for the Black Edition so at least one of those "b" choices above must have been a real pull for the majority of buyers. Hmmm, I've just looked at them again and I still can't see which one! :confused:

#7 ·
no additional perceived value for a Black over Premium in my eyes (unless you like the over-fussy red strips on the seats) - either a second hand Premium version is a bargain or the second hand Black versions are over-priced by £1k (if your analysis is representative)

#15 ·
Oh yeah! That's an important point that I missed. I guess that is one of the primary reasons that so many people went for the Black Edition. It still doesn't justify the price increase though, because the paint isn't different. In fact, the consensus from detailers seems to be that the black paint is thinner than the other colours, so the Black Edition should actually have been cheaper. ;)

#10 ·
Black paint was available in all models of non-nav.... (it was only the alloys that were only available in black, on the black edition)

#11 ·
Ok CC, thanx for that info.

Did not know that .I was looking at the details for a new car in July and from my reading thought Kuro Black was only available in the black edition. In the end I went for showroom demonstrator, because I did not want wait and didn't regard sat nav essential. Ah well too late !! could have saved and spent that money on an y pipe and AP.

#13 ·
LOL!

Clocked off from my garage around 6 tonight!

Deffo past my bedtime...!

#21 ·
Andy

Probably the first erroneous post you have made!

Black was only available if you ordered a black edition - in fact, the original intention was only black paint could be a black edition, but Nissan relented when the HPC's complained that people with other colours were threatening to cancel if they couldn't order the "top spec" car!

Waste of £1400 imho, unless you love washing and polishing your car instead of driving!

D

#23 ·
Probably the first erroneous post you have made!
I got the fear now!

Could this be the start of the end for me...? :bawling:

#22 ·
Going back to the difference in value between a sat nav and a non sat nav car, you might be shocked at how big a gap there is. It's likely to be well in excess of the £1900 cost of the Sat Nav!

This isn't just a theory of mine, it has been recognised for a long time in the trade, that expensive cars do not sell without the factory Sat Nav option. This is true even if the factory installed system is rubbish! Try selling a Porsche Turbo without it and see what I mean. When I worked in the car trade we valued a 12 month old 7 series BMW at half its new cost because it did not have Sat Nav and no main dealer would underwrite the car.

Knowing this was the main reason I waited for a Sat Nav car, even though I would have happily used an iphone for Sat Nav.

#24 ·
Thanks for replies guys. Getting back to post I'm very very pleased to report that I have put down a deposit of a UMS black edition June car with 2k miles on her. I looked closely at new 59 plate Sat/Nav but going through running-in process and £5-7k premium just isn't with it to me.
Y-Pipe is a must and to be fitted very shortly. I will contibute to this board with GTR ownership experience shortly.
Cheers Guys, GTRYorks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.