GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you start up the car, there is a buzzing sound from the right rear of the car.

Only for a couple of seconds and then goes away.

I'm led to belive that it is the fuel pump.

Can anyone confirm??

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yup, Classic fuel pump sound.

If it keeps going then u got a prob!

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have a GTR fuel pump on my GTST and as with any fuel pump when u turn the ignition on it primes itself for around 2-3 secs, on the GTR fuel pump the sound is a lot more noticable.

I'd say if its just for a few secs whilst turning the ignition on but not starting and then goes off after that your safe mate:D

·
Registered
241 Posts
its been the same on every car i have ever driven.

The worst was my old Cav cos the bushes had gone in the fuel pump.

Sounded like a wasp on heat!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Is that a good sound then Pidge or a normal one? Even tho i don't have it thought i'd ask as i haven't got clue:p

·
Registered
720 Posts
Thats a normal sound. Maybe we need to know the exact frequency of the "Buzzing Sound" then JasonO can do his calculation thing:D

·
Registered
241 Posts
its a normal sound mate.

Only if the sound you can hear the sound once the engine is running do you have to worry.

It either means you are about to stall (emabarasing in a Skyline - yes ppl do notice that you just stalled the worlds most fantatastic car) or th bushes are about to drop off!

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for the feedback.

It's just for a few seconds on start-up.

It's just that I've wnated to ask the Q for a while and never got round to it.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Pumps & Startup

When I finally got the GT-R, I treated myself to an English owner's manual from Middlehurst as JPNZ didn't have one. I notice on reading through it that it recommends that after start up, the car should be allowed to idle for about 30 seconds before driving. This, I presume, is to allow all the pumps and tubes & related plumbing to prime themselves.

More trivia for ya. :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Off on a slight tangent...

I have found that if I turn the keys so as to set the ignition power on and start the engine straight away then all is fine (nice fast start), but if I wait for the fuel pump motor do "do it's thing" before starting the engine, it will take a fair while for the engine to start - kind of like there's not enough fuel to start the engine, kind of a slow'ish spluttery ignition (similar sort of noise you get when you're running out of fuel in a car), needs a lot of pressing of the fast pedal to get it to properly "kick in" and start up. Everything is fine once started, just wondered if anyone else has heard of or had similar problems.

If it's of any use, I only really noticed this once I swapped the K&N induction kit for a HKS super power flow, but this may be un-related...

Ta!

Paul

·
Registered
961 Posts
engines wont start if to lean or too rich
if you let the fuel pump do its thing then riching it up ,its good it does this for winter and cold starts ! if you did the quick start thing if very cold weather it might take awhile to start

the reason you need the choke in winter is to use more fuel
coz the fuel cant evaperate or mix properly cold (and theres more air coz its denser) it chucks more in to over come that !

also if you push the accelerator pedel a few times(on N/A engines ) before starting it will take longer to start if the engines still warm but if cold it would proberly start staight away.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
jrpidgeon said:
then JasonO can do his calculation thing:D
ROFL, I don't think everyone was impressed with my calculations guys :eek:

My fuel pump, can be heard continuously at idle (Note. The APEXi controls it differently from the stock ECU). It is especially noticeable when the tank is near empty.

·
Registered
101 Posts
hey, i've got a ringing sound from the left rear of my car... but i think it's the exhaust...... god i need a new back box...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts