GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I said goodbye to something that had been a constant in my life for the past seven years - a constant worry, a constant financial drain, a constant source of fierce joy and deep calm.
I named my car 'Brutal Truth' as I realised that it's ownership was teaching me far more than just the finer points of R33 GTR tuning. I have learnt about the value of money, the value of honest advice, the nature of business, the envy of complete strangers and the glory of kudos through possessions.

Making a bigger impact than the demise of my marriage (sadly), the departure of my 'ride', my 'addiction', my obsession has given me a lifestyle gap to fill and the means to work towards that.
I have been a packer, a bouncer, a bodyguard, an idiot and occasionally a gentleman. I am a storyteller, poet and writer. To put food on the table and in my cats, I can be really rather good at IT related management.
It has been a lot of fun, but an equal amount of pain. I have met and posted at a number of fine people, and may even have made some friends. I have argued degrees of futility like the world would end if I failed, but eventually realised that everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter what the truth (or my perception of said) is.

I'll be around, but hopefully not as often. Time to do a little more and browse a little less.

As Brutal Truth disappeared around the corner, it left me with a parting truism: It is only a car. I will have more, many worse, some better.

But I cannot help but think until another R33 lurks on my drive, I shall be, in the words of another former owner, "Just traffic".

Have fun folks. And may your gods go with you.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
As Brutal Truth disappeared around the corner, it left me with a parting truism: It is only a car. I will have more, many worse, some better.

But I cannot help but think until another R33 lurks on my drive, I shall be, in the words of another former owner, "Just traffic".
Gutted you had to sell it mate, but glad it's all done and dusted and you can move on and get the things sorted out. I have no doubt that down the road you'll be back in something similar.

Have to meet up soon....

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
A sad day, but at least you'll soon get the chance to be in the buyer's shoes rather than the sellers!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
honestly mate although i have never met you i feel a certain amount of empathy towards you, that was an intelligently emotional read. i feel i may have to head the same direction very soon, but unlike you i really really dont want to.:(

come back and visit occasionally

kev

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Jae I know you had one of the most desirable 33's, I, like you, spent a considerable amount of money on the car and just out of curiosity how much did you get for her, are there people out there prepared to pay good money for a good sorted car??

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Jae I know you had one of the most desirable 33's, I, like you, spent a considerable amount of money on the car and just out of curiosity how much did you get for her, are there people out there prepared to pay good money for a good sorted car??
Well judging by his for sale thread,all of us that have spent alot of money on these cars are going to get kicked in the bollocks when we try to sell.

·
Registered
485 Posts
A truley hart rendering read, Jae i wish you all the very best for the future & i have no dout judging by what ive picked up on you character on the forum your a strong will & intelligent sole, you'll be back on track & in your grove with whats rite for you, its just a matter of time... Best of luck mate...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Jae, I know how you feel mate.... mine went last Saturday and its been a week of people telling me what an idiot I have been and me looking at my empty garage.... i empathise....I hope that the wrench from it helps to sort your stuff out....

Paul J

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
"Brutal Truth" - it's a better name for a car than mine: "Moby Dick" - an obsession that defies any and all reason and will ultimately end in my destruction :p

·
6,821 Posts
Mate many of us come from where you come, so all my sympathy for you.

I have been flying high a few years back, with money on hand, bought two new cars in 3 years . .cash. Then purchased the Top Secret bullet, that nearly destroyed me . . . moved on (in a 84 Ford Fiesta with rusting gear lever) and thought that I won't get out from the pits anymore . . .

Now I have made a new start here in japan, new business, new dream , new ambitions. Financial situation is turning to the better and very soon I won't just be driving customer or test GTRs for the job, but have a Skyline waiting for me in the morning again.

Meanwhile I would suggest you to purchase an R32 N/A or an R33 N/A . .even four door car is great. . . . seat back, look some old japanese "I love you Skyline CMs" on yourtube and go for one. . . . I allways think that it is better waiting for a GTR to come, in your Skyline Sedan, then in a crappy Ibiza, Saxo and co.

Regards
Chris

·
GTROC NOBODY
5,981 Posts
Sad to see it go, but personally i don't care what you drive mate, it's the people behind the wheel which have made our community a place that makes us want to come back or pop in from time to time...whether you buy another GT-R or not Jae, i look forward to seeing you around.

Catch up soon mate:squintdan

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just finished the GTR project page on my site, Garage - Lizards of the Host

and finally got round to putting up a page for my latest & previous cars, including my beloved GTS and the ex-wife's maddified CJO Garage II - Lizards of the Host

Thought some of you might like a look and a chuckle..

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
sorry to hear it has gone now mate but hope you have a good one and look forward to reading from you again.

Never met but you seem a decent intelligent chap :)

I am in the same boat as you to a certain extent, cant bring myself to sell but needs must. Cant believe decent gtrs are being undersold because of the market flooded with far too cheap examples etc.

No doubt you will be back at some point as i know i will too. Have a good one Jae.

Chris

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
JAE I can draw so many comparisons from your post - so well written. I'm five years in... GTR's should come with a warning but no one would listen.

I drove mine into the Oracle Car Park in Reading the other day, the exhaust setting off car alarms as I looked for a good space. Even other cars take notice of a GTR. I could have took the Passat and been "traffic" but hey...

I think your very brave to have made the decision to sell, the sense of freedom tinged with sadness, the thought of all that money spent never to be recovered. And what of the new owner have they any idea what they have bought into, a bargain yes for sure. Maybe they will have the sense to covet it and enjoy it as it is.. Doubt it...

·
Registered
150 Posts
hehe i get you mate, i can understand where you're coming from...
so much money gone and at one point you start to kinda wonder where its all gone...
tbh though, even if i knew of all the downsides i still would have gone through with it, because when it works the way it should its the best drive ever, and the amount of people that comment and stare, makes you realise just how special a car it is...

JamesH

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
...And what of the new owner have they any idea what they have bought into, a bargain yes for sure. Maybe they will have the sense to covet it and enjoy it as it is.. Doubt it...
He knows exactly what he's got. The car is booked in January to have ALL of the bodywork issues resolved. We have stayed in contact over minor revisions he's thinking over etc.

Car couldn't have gone to a better home. He's a complete modified car nut who knows the gem he's bought, and has exactly the same attention to detail that I have.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
He knows exactly what he's got. The car is booked in January to have ALL of the bodywork issues resolved. We have stayed in contact over minor revisions he's thinking over etc.

Car couldn't have gone to a better home. He's a complete modified car nut who knows the gem he's bought, and has exactly the same attention to detail that I have.
That must be good to know.

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
A relief. Plus he's hundreds of miles away, so there's no chance of me seeing it drive past. :D
pmsl

Stick around fella.
Your comments are always thought provoking.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts