GTR Forum banner

cambelt tensioner

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  anthonymcgrath 
#1 ·
when overhauling an engine (new gaskets and all that, as well as a new timing belt), is a new cambelt tensioner also required? I figured I could reuse my water and oil pump, but was told no, and that delayed the rebuild by two weeks as I went and ordered the damned things. I think I'll smash my head into rocks if I have to order a cambelt tensioner from overseas as well. It's absolutely frustrating to see my engine in my mechanics shop, with all the goodies and upgrade bits sitting in a pile next to it, and the mechanic not starting on anything until every little required piece has been collected and is on his bench. Four months without my GTR....I'm dying :p

#5 ·
Got to say like you, I had to do a rebuild on my engine and the more people you speak to the more bits you end up replacing!! :chairshot

I have put the same one back on mine after checking for any noises (there was none!). Where do you stop with buying new parts :confused:

Its something you should decide on, I personally would say keep the old one if it sounds okay, although if you do and it goes in 2 weeks please don't hunt me down :chuckle:

#6 ·
If ordering the tensioners from abroad is going to be a long process then why not pull your existing pulleys to bits and simply replace the bearings inside them, they are a cartridge bearing that is simply pressed into place. It will be very easy to simply go to a bearing shop and order replacements.

#9 ·
Yeah my timing belt was cut up all to hell from the debris, I'm lucky it didn't snap the 1/2 mile I limped it home to call for a tow otherwise I'd be in the same situation. Definately not worth the risk on such a cheap part.

#10 ·
I've just ordered my cambelt too for me rb25det - decided on getting a new tensioner too as someone else said - better to replace for the sake of 55quid and know that it'll hold out - if it didn't then there would be some serious costage :(
also got the water pump too - thought may as well ...in fer a penny in fer a pound haha!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.