GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I`m in the middle of fitting my HKS cams but have come across a problem. I`v decided to change the cam belt at the same time but I can`t get the crank pully bolt to undo !!! What I want to know is if its a reverse thread ? I`v tried both ways but its solid. I`m now taking the front rads out so I can get a impact gun on it!!

Second question is thats the ignition timing ment to be set at ? I think I read somwhere its 20 BTC !!

Hope someone can help if not I`ll work it out :)

Seeya

Richard

·
Registered
446 Posts
Crankshaft bolt is 1-3/16", unscrew normal thread, slacken to the left when you
look at the engine from the front of the car.

A good Snap On Power bar and a trolley jack handle for an extension.
Lock the crank in gear and have someone jam on the foot brake.

Then you will need two 8mm bolts and nuts, & a flat plate to withdraw the crank pulley.

Check the tensioner,and idler bearings for wear!

Adjust the belt tension, with the tensioner bolt loose and turn the engine a couple of times.

HKS am sure will advise on valve timing, or if your lucky Rod Bell or Mark at Abbey may offer you some trick setting based on how you prefer your torque curve etc. to begin.

Hope this helps.

Charlie.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. I`v tried the above method with my 24" snap-on bar and Jackhandle and it was just bending !!!! its BLOODY tight. Only way I can see is to remove all the rads in the front so I can get on it with a Impact gun and hope I can shock it off !!

Once again thanks alot for you help. i`ll keep you posted tommorow..

Seeyou

Richard

·
Registered
446 Posts
Bend the bar some more!

The crank bolt will shear before the bar will break!
You might want to try the bar against the N/S chassis leg and flick the starter.

If is a 1/2" drive air power gun..forget it!

Good Luck.

Charlie.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi there,

Tried that too :) I was going to be using a 1/2 "air gun and if that doesn`t work I can borrow a 1" gun !!!! :D

Richard

P.S don`t even talk about bolts shearing :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Have you got it off yet?

Have you tryed Shoocking the bolt with Dead Blow Malet?
if it has any tread lock that will halp!

or a little heat?

Tapping (hitting with Malet hard) the Bracker bar works as well

Impack will work if you have a good air supply which I geuss you have as your in the Spray shop!

Good luck!

Bruce

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help guys,

I`v got them in now but the bolt was a nightmare.. Looks like its been done not too long ago and my guess is they over tightened the bolt which I guess is no bad thing unless you want it off:)

In the end I removed the aircon rad and intercooler to allow access with the air gun and after about a min the bolt cam undone.

All I need now is someone to tell me what the ignition timing should be set too!! Have not started it yet as I thought I`d paint the cam covers while they were off :)

Seeya

Richard

·
Registered
666 Posts
Wot colour you painting the cam covers then?
I am sure it will be awesome to match the rest of the car:rolleyes:

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi there,

Well as I`v got 2litres of paint left I think I`ll do it that same as the bodywork :)

Seeyou

Richard

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Richard,

You are correct, standard ignition timing is 20 Deg BTDC. There's a little sticker on my 33.

Peter.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi there,

Thanks for that Peter. I`ll get the timing light out once I get the cam covers back on :) I`v also decided to polish the turbo outlet pipe and the HKS air filter pipes !!! Will it ever be finnished :)

Once agian thanks

Richard

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Richard....post a picture when you are done with the polishing! I always thought those gray pipes kind of looked cheap...thinking of fitting the Nismo ones...but that would leave the HKS filter ones looking pretty ugly on their own!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts