GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I removed my Camshaft sensor (not sure of the exact description) in order to remove the belt cover a peice of metal like a woodruff key fell out. It came from inside the splined part of the sensor and you would have thought it came of the end of the cam shaft but does not.
Does any of this make sense? I have taken a picture but can not post it (internet cripple)

Thanks Alex

·
Registered
68 Posts
Most likely it is the half moon location stub which is part of the exhaust camshaft. They do snap off clean ! Mine did a while back. I t ensures the correct positioning of the crank angle sensor on the splined shaft.
If your carefull you can super glue it in place long enough (if you can see the original orientation ) to position the sensor. You can also create your own mark to realign it. (i have a couple of times with no problems)
Alternatively purchase a new exhaust cam.

Hope this helps. :)

Dave.

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
Stoods1 said:
If your carefull you can super glue it in place long enough (if you can see the original orientation ) to position the sensor. You can also create your own mark to realign it. (i have a couple of times with no problems)
:eek:

Alternatively purchase a new exhaust cam ;)

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Jesus man, I wouldnt even think about glueing that in place :eek: :eek: :eek:

New camshaft needed !

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Pikey said:
Jesus man, I wouldnt even think about glueing that in place :eek: :eek: :eek:

New camshaft needed !
No need for a new cam at all. It's just an "idiot guide" so the sensor shaft will only enter the cam in the correct position. It's still driven on splines so if the poster is happy to "time" the sensor correctly, or temporarily repair the key to enable the sensor to engage in the correct position without timing it, all will be well. The bit he has had fallen out is purely a guide, it doesn't actually DRIVE the sensor shaft, it's not like putting the crank damper on with no keys in the crank snout.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Chris is right! its purely to align the sensor in the (approx) correct position. Its perfectly ok to "glue" this in place, to hold it in the correct position, or create you own marks to give you the correct position to insert the crank angle sensor. If you clean the end of the camshaft you will clearly see the "semi circular" area of broken casting which the alignment stub has sheared away from. Just plonk it on and slot the sensor in! It cant go anywhere once the sensor is bolted in place. Mine has been snapped of for ages, i have had the sensor off 3-4 times (changing cam belt painting cam cover etc etc) and have never had a problem in the repositioning of the sensor.

The only other way to sort it is as i, and others have stated is to buy a new camshaft. But in all honesty this is overkill for a problem which can be sorted easily and safely with a bit of care and time.

Regards

Dave. :)

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
Apologies. I have been given duff information in the past then. I am sure that I remember someone having to fix this problem twice before and they did not use superglue!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help with this it all makes perfect sense.
The only problem is the cams are HKS items and not cheap and I cant see the point this lug was on the camshaft very well. What will happen if it is in the wrong place, I assume it will run crap but won't damage anything?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Im going to have to have a look at the end of my cam when I get home then, as that sounds a bit silly to be honest, glueing something back on :eek:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I dont think its silly, but everyone to their own. :)

Everyone seems to have latched on to the word super glue! :)

I suspose i did say it :rolleyes:

The point is the sensor can be aligned without the lug if you are confident in doing so. It helps if you can see the broken off area for orentation purposes.

If you not happy doing it then buy a new camshaft or get someone to set the sensor up correctly for you. :)

Regards.

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts