GTR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question hopefully quick answers as i dont want to waste alot of peoples time by making you read an essay

Scroat damaged bonnet with brick:(
Christmas eve
Paint scratched not looking good, one off paint scheme

1.Can a painted CF bonnet be brought back to the CF?
2.Whats needed to do it? Any recommendations peeps?

Cheers
:D

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:eek: :eek: Just read the clicky......"
Rookie
Shropshire

I removed years of colour changes on a 893 Reynard using water soluble Nitromors paint remover. there was no carbon or epoxy damage. It took ages as some areas had many coats and colour changes, but the end result was clean bare carbon. I reskinned the bonded and rivetted alloy floor of the tub, but if yours hasn't a full carbon floor be aware Nitromors will slowly corrode the alloy if not washed off properly. Hope this helps. "

:flame: :flame:

Interesting read but no real solid commitment to whats the best...

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
:eek: :eek: Just read the clicky......"
Rookie
Shropshire

I removed years of colour changes on a 893 Reynard using water soluble Nitromors paint remover. there was no carbon or epoxy damage. It took ages as some areas had many coats and colour changes, but the end result was clean bare carbon. I reskinned the bonded and rivetted alloy floor of the tub, but if yours hasn't a full carbon floor be aware Nitromors will slowly corrode the alloy if not washed off properly. Hope this helps. "

:flame: :flame:

Interesting read but no real solid commitment to whats the best...
That was me posting that. The car was re painted, I stripped to bare carbon to look for any tub repairs, and to lose weight off the tub. It wouldn't have looked pretty left bare. Once the gel coat is damaged you really need to paint it. Only fresh from the autoclave carbon, done really well, looks good, clear lacquered bare.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Be VERY careful using any type of paintstripper on carbon fibre, we used it on fibreglass years ago, (same sort of thing as carbon), and it can be impossible to get out of the fibre, you'll paint/laquer the bonnet and the paint will react and not take to the panel at all, on every fibreglass job since we use sand paper, takes ages but is the safest thing to use.

The other option would be to find someine with a bead blaster, (similar to shot blasting but much more controllable and less aggressive), we've been told that you can remove a layer of paint at a time with them, a guy we use for blasting has one but we've yet to have any done so can't say how good it is.

Alex B

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.