GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I have just discovered some cracks in my front disks of my car, it has covered only 7000 miles with mostly Fast Road Use and 1 day at Millbrook doing driver training.

The brakes were bedded in properly as recommended.

Middlehurst have been fantastic as usual and are going to speak to Nissan to see what they can do to resolve the issue.

The cracks are affecting about 75% of the drilled holes in the front disks on both sides, some are fairly small hairline cracks, others are developing into wider longer cracks spreading out towards the edge of the disk itself.

I would really appreciate if all owners could take a look at their disks and see if they have similar issues.

I am not suggesting for a second that this is going to be a wide spread problem but if several cars are affected then it may add weight to our discussions with Nissan.

I am away just now home at the weekend, i will post a picture on my return.

Please check your front disks and if you find any cracks let me know, post pictures if you can and we can pull together information on the affected cars.

Regards

ScottyB

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
typical problem....mine now have 4cm long cracks and will be replaced with AP´s tomorrow....after just 3000km they had 1cm long cracks,then after 5000km´s they had 2cm long cracks,now at 9000km they are nearly complete broken......think they are build from recycled chinese steel......;)

I have seen a few "Nav" GTR´s,them discs look better and appear to look a bit different then the ones without satnav...maybe they changed the discs allready...;)

PS: The HPC where i did a service at 6000km,made a few pics of my discs,i was thinking,nice,i didn´t say anything and they are writing a warranty question to Nissan,he even takes some pictures.....i was wrong,he made pictures as he didn´t want me to drive around like that as its too risky,i should buy new discs and pads.......after just 6000km(2000 of them running in) :chuckle:

I told him to :GrowUp:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I wonder how Nissan got through so many Nurburg runs without cracking their rotors, they must have noticed...
My BNR32 had cracked drilled OEM rotors as well, I will never use drilled rotors again, slitted all the way.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Interestingly, a couple of the German owners on last week's Ring trip said that they had new OEM rotors provided by Nissan Germany after the originals cracked under normal useage, i.e. on the autobahn, not on the track!

The dealers stopped short of saying that they were replaced under warranty, but something like a "query".

They also noticed that the new discs looked different from the old ones, possibly with countersunk holes to delay the onset of cracks.

I'm used to drilled discs cracking and therefore didn't think twice about replacing them with AP slotteds, but if there are better (and free) replacement OEMs being offered, I wouldn't say no...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm on 4k miles and after reading this post I am a little concerned! If rotors are failing so early surely thats a design fault? As for Nissan when will they act when someone slams into the rear of a stationary car ?? This kind of failure could be ??????????????

Steve

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Porsche use drilled rotors on the 911 as do audi on the R8 and they dont crack or rather mine were ok.

Kp
If you drive the cars hard especially on track they crack. Drilled discs crack on every Porsche. Even carbon ceramics fail if you push them hard. I had three pairs of PCCB (Porsche Carbon Ceramic Brakes) fail on my GT2.

If you drive a car really hard discs are consumable, just like pads and tyres are.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Defective Brake Pads.

My R35 (Australian delivered) was found to have cracked pads (all 4) after 8400kms and 1 light track day. This was found during the pre-track service before the 2nd trackday. Nissan would not replace them under warranty. Had to frikkin fork out $5000 to replace pads. Post-track day service found the new replaced pads to be CRACKED too! Disc rotors were OK. Spoke to Nissan, but they blindly refused to honour any warranty claim. Very bad PR. Will speak to my lawyers now. This is absolutely disgraceful of a company that advertises a super sportscar made to be driven on the road and track, but when used as prescribed.......DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE UP TO STANDARD. Yes, I believe this must be a design defect! The brake pads were cracked between the compound and the backing plate. All 4 sides! This is not "wear and tear". The compound is separating from the backing plate. There is another guy in Sydney with the same problem too. Any of you guys in UK experience this?

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
My R35 (Australian delivered) was found to have cracked pads (all 4) after 8400kms and 1 light track day. This was found during the pre-track service before the 2nd trackday. Nissan would not replace them under warranty. Had to frikkin fork out $5000 to replace pads. Post-track day service found the new replaced pads to be CRACKED too! Disc rotors were OK. Spoke to Nissan, but they blindly refused to honour any warranty claim. Very bad PR. Will speak to my lawyers now. This is absolutely disgraceful of a company that advertises a super sportscar made to be driven on the road and track, but when used as prescribed.......DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE UP TO STANDARD. Yes, I believe this must be a design defect! The brake pads were cracked between the compound and the backing plate. All 4 sides! This is not "wear and tear". The compound is separating from the backing plate. There is another guy in Sydney with the same problem too. Any of you guys in UK experience this?
^Mine are the same.......:D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discs still good at 5500 miles

Hi Scotty - like you - fast road driving and the day at Millbrook and 5500 miles (car 5 months old) and all discs are clear.

I agree with the general view, a car marketed as a super car should not have a structural failure due to general road driving in such short mileage, unless of course all they want is the money from customers having to replace worn parts all the time. Looking back at the marketing - Nissan majored on the fact that these were bespoke brakes designed by Brembo for this car - and surely if they discs failed on their test mules they would have changed the design or the supplier (i.e. AP Racing).

I will watch with interest how Nissan react to what appears to be a number of cars with this problem. I hope it works out.

GD

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you drive the cars hard especially on track they crack. Drilled discs crack on every Porsche. Even carbon ceramics fail if you push them hard. I had three pairs of PCCB (Porsche Carbon Ceramic Brakes) fail on my GT2.

If you drive a car really hard discs are consumable, just like pads and tyres are.
Guy,

That is really strange.

I tracked my 997 TT upwards of 40 times, both with the original brakes and PCCB and never had a problem.

The track was Knockhill which is an absolute knightmare of a track for brake abuse and they never had any signs of cracks.

I also had a Big Brake set up on my dedicated track car (AP 355mm fronts with 6 pots) and it has done upwards of 500 laps again with no issue (Grooved not drilled though)

Regards

ScottyB

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not sure is others noticed... but they were not running standard discs at the race academy. I tried to find out what discs were being used but could not get any info out of my instructor.

they were slotted with yellow pads (pagids perhaps)

Anyone got anymore info on this? They were taking quite a bit of abuse :chuckle:

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Not sure is others noticed... but they were not running standard discs at the race academy. I tried to find out what discs were being used but could not get any info out of my instructor.

they were slotted with yellow pads (pagids perhaps)

Anyone got anymore info on this? They were taking quite a bit of abuse :chuckle:
AP discs (like I'm running now) and probably EBC Yellowstuff pads. See my brake pad discussion in the wheels section.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
AP discs (like I'm running now) and probably EBC Yellowstuff pads. See my brake pad discussion in the wheels section.
Spot on David on both counts.

I called in a wee favour and checked with 1 of the instructors.

We already knew it was the EBC pads from the other thread, must admit i never noticed the different disks.

David you have PM

Regards

Scotty

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.