GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I've got a r35 gtr other day it cut out on me and wouldn't turn over then it started for a few seconds then cut out again, took spark plugs out and turned by hand the engine is locking but not seized also no knocking when it started briefly, I was wondering if anything starter or transmission could cause this also had bell house rattling issue if that makes any difference any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
249 Posts
Is the car stock or tuned?
If tuned then to what level?
How many miles are on the car?
What where you doing before the engine cut out ie general driving, spirited driving or giving it a proper kicking?
I take it when you say it locks up but not sized dose it come to a dead stop or you encounter lots of residence?
Will the engine then turn backwards and free off?
What is the engine oil level and coolant level like?
Are you sure the was no out of the ordinary sounds when it ran briefly?

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Impossible to diagnose from such limited info.

First thing to do is read any DTC codes.

My initial thought would be a fuelling issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys no it's standard 60k miles and I was in 2nd gear going around 40mph, and no starage noises when it ran, it will free off if I go backwards and then come to a stop again when I go forward, I've got 2 computers but they don't talk to the car I will get it booked in somewhere at some point as i can see it's going to be quite serious.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
If the engine didnt make any noises it could be something in the drivetrain, have you tried disconnecting the prop and seeing if it turns over by hand? But it can also be something in the bellhousing.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Could be a thousand and one things,process of elimination,first id look at the data,then id remove oil filter and cut it open,if anything has gone wrong in the motor there will be signs in that filter,if engine doesn't turn by hand,then remove prop,to discount trans and diff,then work forward,i deffo would not be trying to start the motor.best of luck,hope its something easy..

·
Vendor
6,269 Posts
Sounds like your timing chain may have slipped which would cause the symptoms.... Hope I'm wrong and it's something minor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone, I think I will inspect the oil filter and also I will remove prop no harm In me doing that I suppose just want to know as I can't stop thinking about it haha, is the prob a straight forward job to disconnect?

·
Vendor
6,269 Posts
The prop is an easy job but if you turn it over and it locks up again you might cause more damage, I'd get a professional opinion rather than risk it going bang, has the timing chain ever been changed do you know?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No I won't turn it over again and timing chain has never been done, I took the spark plugs out and Inlet manifold I can see the valves they look straight but I'm not a expert

·
Vendor
6,269 Posts
That sounds like cylinder lock which can be caused by the timing chain slip... Don't turn it over you will knacker it completely.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Thank you everyone, I think I will inspect the oil filter and also I will remove prop no harm In me doing that I suppose just want to know as I can't stop thinking about it haha, is the prob a straight forward job to disconnect?
Drain the oil, remove the sump and see if any debris in there, you can even pull a rod cap off and check bearings

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
That sounds like cylinder lock which can be caused by the timing chain slip... Don't turn it over you will knacker it completely.
If it ran like that and stopped while running it already has bent valves etc

1 - 20 of 22 Posts