GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sold the M3 and bought a flat, always wanted a R35 GTR so starting to read up and look for one, but first I want to know if i will be able to afford one.

Right lets talk money, I have just over £30k to spend on the car. For that am I getting a dog? I was thinking to waiting until next year to save abit more and see where prices our at. Have prices bottomed out now, do you think they will go much below the £30k mark?

Running costs, few questions:

1. How much to fill a tank, how many miles out of it?
2. Servicing from a indy, how much should i expect to spend?
3. Tyres, how much a corner?

I am putting aside £300 a month for the car to run it(when i have one), it will be a weekend toy. Do you think that will be enough for servicing and tyres etc? I am looking to keep the car a year.

Thanks for any comments and advice guys!:bowdown1:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Just sold the M3 and bought a flat, always wanted a R35 GTR so starting to read up and look for one, but first I want to know if i will be able to afford one.

Right lets talk money, I have just over £30k to spend on the car. For that am I getting a dog? I was thinking to waiting until next year to save abit more and see where prices our at. Have prices bottomed out now, do you think they will go much below the £30k mark?

I am putting aside £300 a month for the car to run it(when i have one), it will be a weekend toy. Do you think that will be enough for servicing and tyres etc? I am looking to keep the car a year.

Thanks for any comments and advice guys!:bowdown1:
If your lucky enough to find a car with newish brakes and tyres, and only do 2-3k in the year you own it, them maybe it shouldnt cost you that much..

Not sure i would want to own a GTR if i was worried about MPG and stuck to a monthly budget, what if things break:(

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
35K + for a decent example - A 30k car will be a very high miler and probably need breaks and tyres

Tyres 1300 a set and will last 8-10k road miles

Pads and discs 2k-4k a full set depending on quality - road use should last a good 20k miles.

14-22mpg on the road depends how you drive

Tax - top bracket 400 ish

Insurance - get a quote

·
Registered
626 Posts
Without sounding rude, if you're asking the question the answer is probably no.

I bought mine with the same intention as yourself. Keep it for a year ...use at weekends.... etc etc

If you get one.... and have the breaking strain of a soggy kit kat like me ... you'll struggle to keep yourself out of it..... but every time you bury the loud pedal you forget all about running costs.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts

£30k is not enough for a decent car currently.
You need to be aiming for £35-37k in my opinion.

1. About £80. You'll average about 18mpg unless you hoon it everywhere, then maybe 12mpg...
2. I'd budget £600 per year to cover basic servicing..
3. £300 per corner for non-runflats. Almost double that for the correct runflats.

If it needs brakes or any other work £300 won't do it.
You might be able to scrape by on that. But any faults could torpedo your budget, so I'd be wary.

·
Registered
785 Posts
£300 PLUS Fuel I hope. You could easily put £300 a month Fuel in just on Weekend Blast's as a toy. I do !

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Jesus, sometimes I spend more than 300 quid in a week on petrol :) but on average I fill it up twice a week at around 80 quid a shot, which delivers about 200 miles per fill up.

I do 20k miles per year in my GTR and I reckon the total cost of running my car is around £1 per mile all in.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Just a question, if it's not too intrusive?

I'm in a similiar situation to the OP and just wondered what sort of wage you guys earn and what sort of outgoings you have and still manage to own & run a GT-R?

I'm currently earning about £70 - £75k per annum = about £3,700 p/m after tax and deductions

My outgoings = about £2000 p/m (inclusive of loans for the car) at the moment but If I have a child will probs rise to around £3200 p/m worst case if my partner can't work. These outgoings don't include food/entertainment.

Only looking at a UK 09 GT-R for around £35-38k

Would only look to service once a year as will only do 4-5k miles per year in it

Would you say its viable for me to run a Nissan GT-R?

Cheers,

Dean

P.S. sorry to hijack thread :p

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
car tax is £500 just gone up

Bobby

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you don't have a contingency fund, £300 a month just wouldn't be enough to run a car. If something needs replacing then you would struggle to pay for it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
i think you should think long and hard before you buy one.as it sounds like you will get into deep water very quickly,these cars require a good amount of money spent on them,thats why there are so many secondhand cars on the market,people buy them and then get caught out by the very high running costs.a gtr will make your running costs of your m3 look like servicing a fiesta cost wise.

that said a brilliant car.

simon

·
Registered
540 Posts
i think you should think long and hard before you buy one.as it sounds like you will get into deep water very quickly,these cars require a good amount of money spent on them,thats why there are so many secondhand cars on the market,people buy them and then get caught out by the very high running costs.a gtr will make your running costs of your m3 look like servicing a fiesta cost wise.

that said a brilliant car.

simon
+1

I stick £350 pm away as the sludge fund, however you could purchase a warranty on the car. Litchfield do one and having discussed in depth with Kev & Amar @ SVM they will also be looking to do the same once they have the stonking new premises up and running.:bowdown1::bowdown1::bowdown1:

I came from an RS4 to the GTR and yes its more expensive to run, but if I'm being honest if you have to go down to "how much" all the time then its not for you. The car will deliver a fantastic experience, but it comes at a price. As a guide I Paid 37.5k for my Dec 2009 Black Edition with 21k mikes and 2 previous owners. I bought it in April and have done 5360k mikes to date and spent in excess of 8k modding it.
With regards to fuel I log every fill up using a free app and have spent £1643.84 with an average MPG of 20.36. The worst being 11.89 and the best being 27.6.

HTH

Cheers
Louie

·
Registered
125 Posts
I thought I contribute to this thread since this is something I'm going through right now and just about to take delivery of my GT-R later this week if all goes well.

I know this thread is a few months old now, and maybe the OP isn't tracking this any more and been put off the idea completely, but what everyone so far seems to have ignored that the cost of ownership is largely down to the mileage you're likely to do.

From what I've seen a £30K budget won't even going to get into a GT-R, at least not one that would reflect a sensible purchase. The guide prices indicate that you might be able to find an '09 with 50K miles from an independent for £30K, but if you look on autotrader you won't find many under £35K. At the time of writing there's a CAT D '09 car on there for £32K, so that should tell you what £30K will get you in todays market. If I managed to dump £30K on a used GT-R I don't think that I would be sleeping too well at night.

I was initially attracted to the prospect of GT-R ownership by seeing '09 cars up for sale in the £35K region, but after a lot of research I came to realise that for my own peace of mind I would need to spend more on a slightly newer car and had to revise my purchasing budget significantly.

Leaving the initial purchase aside, the OP has been running an M3. Which one I don't know, and for how long is anyone's guess. Depending on the year of M3, the chances are that the running costs of an M3 aren't going to be wildly different. You might not chew through tyres as quick, and they may be a little cheaper, same goes for pads, and the fuel economy isn't going to be wildly different. I'd say if you can run an M3 and you're not skint at the end of every month then the chances are you could run a GT-R, but expect some larger bills. If you're skint running the M3 then forget it.

Personally, I've been running a 370Z since December last year and in the 8 months I've done 10K miles. It's cost me a complete set of tyres at around £1000, a full set of pads at £250, and a bit over £3000 in fuel and I think £250-ish for 6 months tax. So for the last 8 months I'm in the hole for over £4500 before it's even been serviced. I've just recently had a change of job and so I'm now commuting into London on a 50 mile daily round trip on a motorbike, so when I get my GT-R it's annual mileage isn't going to huge. Whilst it will be my main car it will only get driven evenings and weekends. I'd be surprised if I do 5000 miles a year, but you never know - like a lot of other people on here I'm also partial to finding any excuse to go out and convert dead dinosaurs into smoke and noise. We're always well stocked with milk and bread in our house. :chuckle:

As for servicing, I've had a good look at what Litchfields charge for servicing and I have to say that I think it's very reasonable, but obviously you need to do it a bit more frequently. I've owned various Lotus Elise versions, Noble M12 GTO3, 350Z, 370Z and next week I hope to take ownership of a GT-R. All of those previous cars have landed me with £1000+ annual service bills on top of tyres and pads at some time or another, heck I even had a Ford Mondeo ST24 (piece of crap) which was worse on fuel than my 370Z, destroyed front tyres as quick as you'd look at them, and would still cost me a packet to service it. My feelings on GT-R servicing is that if you're used to maintaining any car with a hint of performance then the GT-R isn't so different until you start talking about tyres - but then that is all down to the mileage you do and the way you drive. My wife is horrified that I need at least 1 set of tyres and pads on my cars every year when hers all last for twice as long.

Insurance is a consideration - The M3 is a little cheaper than my 370Z to insure, and the cost of the annual policy for myself on a GT-R is about £50 a year more than I pay now. I seem to recall that on one insurer the 370Z is group 47, and the GT-R is group 50. I'm 44, live inside the M25 with an SP30 and one claim a year ago and the meerkat is giving me quotes from £675 with Admiral upwards.

I'm under no illusions and the GT-R is definitely going to cost me more per-mile, but I'm doing less miles now so at the end of each year I don't think I'll be any worse off. Looking at it I wouldn't say the GT-R is necessarily any more expensive to maintain than any other performance car, with one or two exceptions than are really dictated by your annual mileage and how you drive the thing.

Phil

·
R35 Section manager
11,164 Posts
Just a question, if it's not too intrusive?

I'm in a similiar situation to the OP and just wondered what sort of wage you guys earn and what sort of outgoings you have and still manage to own & run a GT-R?

I'm currently earning about £70 - £75k per annum = about £3,700 p/m after tax and deductions

My outgoings = about £2000 p/m (inclusive of loans for the car) at the moment but If I have a child will probs rise to around £3200 p/m worst case if my partner can't work. These outgoings don't include food/entertainment.

Only looking at a UK 09 GT-R for around £35-38k

Would only look to service once a year as will only do 4-5k miles per year in it

Would you say its viable for me to run a Nissan GT-R?

Cheers,

Dean

P.S. sorry to hijack thread :p

On the mileage you are doing I would say you could do it. It may mean less dinners out but that's going to happen anyway if you have a little one on the way. Go for it

·
Registered
398 Posts
I usually hate posts when people say if you have to ask then you probably can't afford it, but your questions are so specificity related to "£" ie, how much is a full fuel tank?

A £30k GTR tbh is going to be whack, I wouldn't even bother at all, your going to get hurt and its going to ruin your whole GTR experiance. Save some more money get a good example and then enjoy it.

But seriously with cars like these you can not be worrying about fuel. Thats like getting a Prius and asking what it's 0-60 time is. GTR's are made to go fast simple as that really MPG is not important, some days I spend £0 on fuel other days £200.

Bottom line is, if you actually want to enjoy a car you can't be worrying about how much fuel you need to put in or what your mile allowance is per day.

I put £1000 a month a side just for the car, for random things, it's more than I need to but then I prefer to not run in to trouble.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts