GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would I be able to fit 6 1/2" comps upfront in my '98 R33???

Also how can I go about my tweeters, as it already has Infinitys. The new tweeters maybe of a different size??? If it's smaller i'm screwed.

Please help!!!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
you should be able to get 6 1/2 in, I have Phoenix Gold components to go in mine...but am probably going to go for Focal instead as they sound better...

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where are you thinking of placing the tweeters???

Can anyone else further fitting 6 1/2" comps??

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
guess if you are brave cut them into the door card..had it done on the sunny so that they fitted flush, they looked good..

·
Registered
558 Posts
Speakers

Tiggs,
With a little help and assistance this should be possible!My GTR 32 has 8" speakers fitted behind the original speaker covers but the depth of the speaker is critical so it does not hit the window glass!Have a look next time we meet.
Regards,
Ross.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
what make speakers have you got?? am getting a sub built into the side of the boot too, will be fibreglass.....what sort of set up do you have?

·
Premium Member
5,939 Posts
Tigger - which focal set up are you going for? I have 5 1/4 Utopia in my Audi and although I love them to bits there are a couple of downsides.

1 The tweeters are *super* bright, even when attenuated down by 3db!! they do take some getting used to.

2 The 5 1/2 mid has the most slam I have ever heard from such a small mid and easily outperforms the 6.5" components in my 405, however they do seem to prefer tight well defined tracks, give them anything a bit muddy and the don't like it. (ie Dido plays superbly well, Nickleback struggles a bit)

and from what I gather they like a fair bit of power, I am currently supplying them with about 80wrms and feel they could do with a bit more.

Simon

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
fitting components is a doddle..

just screw the 6.5 inch woofer into the mounting.

In mine I used a hole saw to cut the speaker holes. they are mounted in front of the inside door handle.

if you go to Hickstead I'll show you.

( the only problem can be getting the holes level as the door cards are different.

HTH
/Steve

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
This is easy. I've put 6.5" inifinity Kappa into my R33.

I made MDF spacers for the main units, and used a hole saw to cut for the tweeters which are flush mounted.

There are about a million places to put the crossovers too.

Tweeters are pretty much always 1", so you're unlikely to have problems there.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
have the new alpine head unit, new phoenix gold amps to go in and built in subs....whichever size focals i can get to fit will go in!

·
Premium Member
5,939 Posts
The Alpine with the oversized face? if so V Nice, I have the 7969 which is a superb unit - if a little fiddly.

Focals that fit, well if you are going for a two way utopia then it would be the 165w (6 1/2" mid with TN51 tweeter) - 120wrms nominal power handling :)

Alpine, Focal, PG amps custom GRP sub enclsoure....sounds like a pretty good system coming together

I'm sure you will be more than happy with that.

Simon

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
its the one that will tilt at different angles so you can still see the graphics....it's MP3 compatible....not sure of the model number though!

·
Premium Member
5,939 Posts
the 7998r is MP3 compatible, the two big giveaways are the price £700+ and the size of the display, if its a normal din size then it's not the 7998r.

If it's in the region of £700 and it's not the 7998r you need to be having words with your supplier.

Simon
(sad ICE geek ;) )

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
well, I have a mate at Alpine! so paid less and its the top model, had a Nakamichi b4 that....would have bought the F1.....

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I've got some Focal 165Vs in the front of my R32 - haven't fully sorted it yet, but they sound good. The tweeters (TN45 I think, titanium dome) are by the windscreen pillars at the moment, on the back of the mirror mountings, but I'm going to try them down in the kickwell as they sound a bit too harsh at the moment, even on the lowest setting.

Phil

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
maybe I will stick with my phoenix gold 61/2 then.....I dont like a harsh sound in the tweeters...especially with the music I play!

·
Premium Member
5,939 Posts
/jealous mode

always nice to have mates in the right places!!

/jealous mode

The Nak is a seriously nice HU, one off the reason behind getting the 7969 was the face hiding from view when powered off - I can't be doing with having to carry stuff around with me when I leave the car!

Alpine F1!!!! - why isn't there a drool smiley??

the TN51 is the tweeter that comes with the the utopia, and as I said before is quite bright. However when attenuated down 3db and tweeked with the EQ a bit more it sounds fantastic!

so without wanting it to sound like a line (uhoh beware the anti-line line!!!) what sort of music do you play that makes tweeter choice critical?

Simon

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
The Nak was fantastic, but they have problems with loading discs...drives you mad after a while...and the tuner was pants...music is anything from garage to rock to Dance...like dance:D

·
Premium Member
5,939 Posts
My previous HU was a Kenny 9050r - competion spec unit, great sound but lousy tuner, the alpine on the other hand is excellent.

I'm one of those annoying people who can't define what their taste in music is hence I have everything from Queen to Dido to Garage to Bach rattling around in my glovebox (note to self *must buy CD changer*)

it can however be quite amusing when sat at the traffic lights next to some nova boy, slipping in the old Bach CD and giving it large with the volume control and shaking his car to bits with Tocata in D minor :D I've had some very confused looks I can tell you!!

Anyway to bring this thread vaguly back on track (who was it told me about thread hijacks??)

For her R33 I have ordered some Directed 6.5" components with neodyne magnets (very funky!) which I'll be driving off an old Alpine V12 amp, not sure what to do about bass yet as there isn't a great deal of space to work with for a decent enclosure, and my previous projects have included a spherical sub enclsoure and a 2 cu ft Flared port (semi folded horn) composite box.

Simon

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
sounds good.....but I couldnt admit to listening to classical!!! well, maybe after a night clubbing and you want something soothing??

1 - 20 of 37 Posts