GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.I want to ask, can stock MFD cooperate with change to single turbo T04Z with aftermarket ECU ( in my case: european Ecumaster Emu classic

I don't want to use additional gauges.I want to stick with electronic screen display.Or is it possible to make a cooperation between aftmrkt ECU and mfd.?

Some say,Nismo MFD can bare that stuff with aftermarket ECUs,but still as far as Nismo MFD is hard to get,i want to know in the first place,can the primary one can handle this.

Other people also said,that is all about ECU. Haltech,Link or old Power fc are capable of doing good with stock mfd.

Thanks in advance for replies.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you are saying Yvo that those two worked (one thing )properly (second thing) on a stock r34 mfd,right?

·
Registered
24,959 Posts
it will , but unless you have the Nismo upgrade, forget it, nismo discontinued the MFD and finding one (complete) is super hard

·
Registered
145 Posts
What you're asking is a little backwards.
THE MFD is a display only - it'll show whatever the ECU is setup to show it - so it's less about what you've changed (single tubby vs twins) and more about the ECU running the show.
I run a Link G4+ and it works fine with the MFD but I have heard of certain ECU's not talking to it though I'm unsure of which brands struggle.
NOTE: It's quite inaccurate for measuring boost pressures but gives a good overview of other things like temps etc.

Talk to Alex of R34 MFD on facebook, he has stock of most items and knows the MFD and electronics side of things better than most, so if anyone can help it'll be him. :)

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
From memory, the MAP sensor for the MFD is not the same boost sensor for the ECU.

Many years agO I hacked into the R34 MFD and brought up a 2 bar screen on the MFD.

I then had to adjust the MAP sensor to provide a 2 bar response rather than a 1.2 bar response.

There are two screws on the MAP sensor, one is scale and the other zero's the reading

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are talking Hugh right now about how to bring to life 2 bar read out from the standard one,but not the compatibility in the first place.Am I right?

·
Registered
142 Posts
The MFD basically doesn't communicate with the ECU, it mostly takes readings directly from the sensors attached to your car. In other words, if you have the stock boost pressure, coolant temperature, oil temperature and intake air temperature sensors still connected, the MFD will work. If your new ECU still outputs injector duty cycle on pin 17 and throttle position on pin 38 like the stock one, regardless of what it is, those values will be displayed normally on the MFD.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
You are talking Hugh right now about how to bring to life 2 bar read out from the standard one,but not the compatibility in the first place.Am I right?
Yup,

I did talk about the 2 bar system, I also thought my explanation covered the compatibility.

The Turbos in use make no difference to the MFD.

The MFD reads pressure from whatever turbo system you are running.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm running a Link G4+ that was installed in 2014. There were issues with the injectors when it was installed but those were sorted out a day later and it didn't impact the MFD.
What DID impact the MFD was the new digital G-Sensor which throws out the G-Force plotting on the Nismo MFD (again, AFAIK Alex from R34 MFD on FB can source these)
whenever the car was stopped the lot would be centered but as soon as the car moved it would jump to the left. It would still track up down left and right, it would just always be off to the left.
I first got a Midori Seibi G-sensor which was super good for effect but super bad for plotting, I'm now running a Tarzan G-Box at the moment and it still kinda does it but not to the same extremes
The only thing I could think of as a reason for this was to do with the voltage difference but i"m just grasping at straws.

Hope you get it sorted!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts