GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi

I***8217;ve owned a 2014 GTR for a week now and have done a little over 300 miles in it. I have come from a standard 2016 Audi S3. It***8217;s maybe something I will get used to but have to say I drive faster in the S3. I***8217;m so conscious of the GTR sticking out like a sore thumb and that the slightest touch of the accelerator sees license losing speeds in the blink of an eye.

I have always wanted to own a GTR and have always intended on only keeping it for a short period. I still absolutely love it now I own one but I don***8217;t think going back to the S3 is going to be a horrible as I thought.

·
Premium Member
5,788 Posts
Hi

I've owned a 2014 GTR for a week now and have done a little over 300 miles in it. I have come from a standard 2016 Audi S3. It's maybe something I will get used to but have to say I drive faster in the S3. I'm so conscious of the GTR sticking out like a sore thumb and that the slightest touch of the accelerator sees license losing speeds in the blink of an eye.

I have always wanted to own a GTR and have always intended on only keeping it for a short period. I still absolutely love it now I own one but I don't think going back to the S3 is going to be a horrible as I thought.
Wow i think you'd best sell up quick, before paranoia gets you! I've had mine 5 years and just go out to enjoy it, there's a time and a place! ;)

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
If you take the car on a trackday or two and explore the car on a circuit at high speed you will not feel need to do it on the road as you will be disappointed with blind corners etc.
I used to do more on public roads than I should have done but do a few trackdays and you wont feel the need

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
If you take the car on a trackday or two and explore the car on a circuit at high speed you will not feel need to do it on the road as you will be disappointed with blind corners etc.
I used to do more on public roads than I should have done but do a few trackdays and you wont feel the need
Thanks Mun. Ye I***8217;m hoping I can still enjoy it on the roads. But I honestly think straights and high speed corners on track are going to put the biggest grin on my face ever.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have not owned a 370Z please keep that in mind when you read this. Here is what I can tell you after a month of GTR ownership coming from and still owning a 2017 VW Golf R Estate Mk7.5(my family car).

Only my opinion, but the 370Z is a sports car with similar power to my Golf R 300ishBHP, 0-60 in the Golf R is supposedly under 5 seconds. I class the GTR as a supercar.

This means you have a whole different experience the moment you start the engine. In my Golf I can reverse out the drive in under 20 seconds making it much quicker than the GTR lol as in the GTR I feel it needs much more warming up and then after that it still makes a fun grinding sound when reversing out. It is like it does not enjoy going backwards, (I hope this is normal but I wish there was a noobie guide I could find somewhere to check all these things out).

You feel the GTR is special just from the looks people give you, from the sound and feel of it even at low speeds. The noises and way it moves is very different from a normal car like a Golf and possibly a 370Z.

When on the road, again the GTR is an experience maybe even slightly stressful on first ownership worrying about the width, speed, noises and forever needing to demist the front windscreen! Then there is the tracking it can pull left and right at a moments notice so keep your hands on the wheel, (I hope this will be improved once I get the first service out the way). When the roads are wet I have found it twitchy as it might advertise itself as 4WD but I have not been able to see the MFD display put much power to the front yet as I am so busy holding on and watching where I am going. In other words it can be handful on the road if you drive it hard. I have to say though I am used to point and squirt with my Golf which loves just powering out of a corner, the GTR does this just as well, much faster in fact, but I am much more careful due to my lack of skill and the double power of this supercar compared to the Golf.

Compared to my Golf, now I have the GTR I think even more of my Golf as it is super easy to drive in comparison and worry much less on narrow roads. This means I can drive it faster in many situations should I wish. However there is nothing like the sounds and acceleration of the GTR when you go full on, it is truly epic and insane. This is said even without even having tried the R mode yet!!! The Golf is way more economical though, I know this is not really a big point as if you buy a GTR you are surely ready for the mpg right? Well I thought I was, however I am sure very soon I will know the first name of every staff member at my local Shell and Tesco garage pmsl.

I have driven my Golf on track and been in a quite new GTR on the same track. My conclusion the Golf super fun, very quick, could not stop smiling as it kept up with most other cars just about and an estate car for the giggle factor. It always surprises people everywhere as the ultimate sleeper. The GTR ride, courtesy of an experienced driver, was OMG insanely quick epic fun, unbelievable in fact, made my neck hurt and I doubt I will ever go in another car faster unless I was a professional driving millionaire. This is where the GTR is simply brilliant and can make you feel like a driving god lol. Maybe you can feel this in a 370z too but I would be surprised if that was the case.

My advice comes from my son, he says Daddy drive fast but safely. He loves the car but likes to feel safe and I often tell him no we cannot go fast there is another car about.

This is my best advice, if you can see another car don't use full throttle, if the road is wet don't use full throttle. Stay safe and go to events like Santa Pod and track days to really see what the GTR can do. To fully experience what a GTR can do I second other people that have posted, take it to a track or event where you can do it safely.

P.S.When taking to a track do get confused if your car is in warranty about whether you have to take it for inspections before and after!!
P.P.S. Note to self stop trying to listen to the startup when there is water on the windscreen as the wipers love whipping it in to the car lol.

Hope this helps.

·
Vendor
6,180 Posts
I have not owned a 370Z please keep that in mind when you read this. Here is what I can tell you after a month of GTR ownership coming from and still owning a 2017 VW Golf R Estate Mk7.5(my family car).

Only my opinion, but the 370Z is a sports car with similar power to my Golf R 300ishBHP, 0-60 in the Golf R is supposedly under 5 seconds. I class the GTR as a supercar.

This means you have a whole different experience the moment you start the engine. In my Golf I can reverse out the drive in under 20 seconds making it much quicker than the GTR lol as in the GTR I feel it needs much more warming up and then after that it still makes a fun grinding sound when reversing out. It is like it does not enjoy going backwards, (I hope this is normal but I wish there was a noobie guide I could find somewhere to check all these things out).

You feel the GTR is special just from the looks people give you, from the sound and feel of it even at low speeds. The noises and way it moves is very different from a normal car like a Golf and possibly a 370Z.

When on the road, again the GTR is an experience maybe even slightly stressful on first ownership worrying about the width, speed, noises and forever needing to demist the front windscreen! Then there is the tracking it can pull left and right at a moments notice so keep your hands on the wheel, (I hope this will be improved once I get the first service out the way). When the roads are wet I have found it twitchy as it might advertise itself as 4WD but I have not been able to see the MFD display put much power to the front yet as I am so busy holding on and watching where I am going. In other words it can be handful on the road if you drive it hard. I have to say though I am used to point and squirt with my Golf which loves just powering out of a corner, the GTR does this just as well, much faster in fact, but I am much more careful due to my lack of skill and the double power of this supercar compared to the Golf.

Compared to my Golf, now I have the GTR I think even more of my Golf as it is super easy to drive in comparison and worry much less on narrow roads. This means I can drive it faster in many situations should I wish. However there is nothing like the sounds and acceleration of the GTR when you go full on, it is truly epic and insane. This is said even without even having tried the R mode yet!!! The Golf is way more economical though, I know this is not really a big point as if you buy a GTR you are surely ready for the mpg right? Well I thought I was, however I am sure very soon I will know the first name of every staff member at my local Shell and Tesco garage pmsl.

I have driven my Golf on track and been in a quite new GTR on the same track. My conclusion the Golf super fun, very quick, could not stop smiling as it kept up with most other cars just about and an estate car for the giggle factor. It always surprises people everywhere as the ultimate sleeper. The GTR ride, courtesy of an experienced driver, was OMG insanely quick epic fun, unbelievable in fact, made my neck hurt and I doubt I will ever go in another car faster unless I was a professional driving millionaire. This is where the GTR is simply brilliant and can make you feel like a driving god lol. Maybe you can feel this in a 370z too but I would be surprised if that was the case.

My advice comes from my son, he says Daddy drive fast but safely. He loves the car but likes to feel safe and I often tell him no we cannot go fast there is another car about.

This is my best advice, if you can see another car don't use full throttle, if the road is wet don't use full throttle. Stay safe and go to events like Santa Pod and track days to really see what the GTR can do. To fully experience what a GTR can do I second other people that have posted, take it to a track or event where you can do it safely.

P.S.When taking to a track do get confused if your car is in warranty about whether you have to take it for inspections before and after!!
P.P.S. Note to self stop trying to listen to the startup when there is water on the windscreen as the wipers love whipping it in to the car lol.

Hope this helps.
Sounds like you be looking for a job on top gear:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Forget your GTRs for everyday road use. If you're lucky, maybe you'll be able to tow them to an occasional track day with your electric car thanks to Extinction Rebellion and the Greens. Meanwhile, here's the real future.

·
Premium Member
5,788 Posts
Haha good review for a new owner, how I found it when I bought mine years ago, and it still feels special and very rapid now (stage 4.25) and people on the street love them! Plus you don't see many on the road too

What tyres have you got on? Sounds like Bridgestone, i find michelin pilot sport 4S 265/305 N0 (Porsche fitment) the best current all round road tyres for the R35, good grip wet and dry

Mine hops and skips a bit slow on full lock turning (stock front diff does this) and you can get wheel clicking as well (will need lubing up)

Front windscreen does must easily in winter, just put the heater blowing up/ feet+up or use the aircon, or when moving open the window slightly, also I have a demister bean bag thingy in my rear seat cup holder, helps with demisting when the cars locked up

^^^^ No thanks.
I’d rather walk.
:chuckle:

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Hi, if I was you the best mod bang for buck I***8217;ve found was fitting

Hugh KeirS
.... DSC Sport controller ....
Because this will improve handling in general on B roads and you can really push on through the corners will a lot less roll and nose dive under braking. Well in my opinion anyway..

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Having had a 350z then 370z before the GTRs I have to say its a completely different beast. I loved the 370z and I would go back to one but I know I would miss the GTR.

I agree with AntonyB for nipping around in traffic my Leon cupra is much easier to use day to day but once on the open road with a good set of bends it has to be the GTR all the way.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the nice comments.

Takoma, I would love a job on Top Gear lol.

Chronos, thank you for the tips very useful and the tyres are still what ever it came with but no doubt not for long, R mode time on Thursday!

Herman, another good idea I will put it on my Chirstmas list but having already been a bad boy buying the car doubt I will get one.

P.S. Must read note to self again as got wet again today starting it up with the door open lol. Maybe I should just use my second brain cell and remember to turn the wipers fully off first!

·
Registered
46 Posts

Very well written. Just about sums things up fpr me. I have a Merc as a daily which I can jump into and get from A to B [quite quickly.] The GTR takes that little bit longer so usually save this for an occassion where I will appreciate it.
I'm on my 3rd...had cars inbetween but keep migrating back.

Try one for yourself - have your own experience, create some memories and tick that box.

If it's not for you...sell it.

It's only money and trust me, we can waste the stuff on far worse things in life

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hello all. I’ve been on here for a while, reading posts. But recently signed up as I’m getting a GTR next year. So this is my first post ***x1f642;

I own an ‘18 370Z nismo currently, and that power, especially being RWD can feel quite a handful on the roads. I’m only ever a few seconds of open throttle away from license banning speeds. So my question is really, can you enjoy that insane speed on the roads? If so, when, or in what situation?
NOPE same as my F90 M5 Comp, a quick squirt too three figures and down again.:smokin:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

Very well written. Just about sums things up fpr me. I have a Merc as a daily which I can jump into and get from A to B [quite quickly.] The GTR takes that little bit longer so usually save this for an occassion where I will appreciate it.
I'm on my 3rd...had cars inbetween but keep migrating back.

Try one for yourself - have your own experience, create some memories and tick that box.

If it's not for you...sell it.

It's only money and trust me, we can waste the stuff on far worse things in life
Very well put bud.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts

Hope this helps.
Nice little write up.

Couple of points, if you're getting excessive misting inside then you probably have a leak and water getting into the car. Common culprit is in by the wingmirror area and goes down the inside of the door card and soaks into the floor / carpet. have a little look and feel around and see if you can sense any dampness. Also check in and around the secret compartment under the passenger floor mat. if all ok there check the boot and ensure the water drainage channels are clear (back of the car in the gully where the pressure struts are that hold the book open), A cable tie or carefully aimed pressure washer can ensure its all clear and draining ok. if it all seems dry, try some dehumidifying granules (you can get a box of the stuff) in the car over a couple of nights and see if that helps.

The tracking, or steering pulling left and right is probably the tyres. You're still on run flats right? Next change, worth trying MP4S Michelin. Either 285/35/20 front and 295/35/20 rear - or the more common sizing 265/35/20 front and 305/30/20 rear. Will make a massive difference although steering feels a fair bit lighter. Ride and wet handling much improved.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
as for the original question of the thread. yes I always found I could enjoy my car on the road. With 650bhp I found I could push on most of the time although I don't speed around other motorists. I coulf however blast the throttle open most of the time and zip along a road.

Since adding a chunk more power I have to seriously pick my moments and things need to be just right.

Something that differentiates the GT-R from the 370 is just how accessible the speed is. In the 370 you'd wind it up and get some speed going and it would take a while. In a tuned GT-R, like a motorbike, you get a gap and can go nuts - smash some serious speed out and then slow back down and it's all done in the blink of an eye. Which for me means less time at risk and very little distance required to get your kicks.

My car isn't even a fast one and it knocks out 100 - 200kph / 62mph - 124mph in 4.47 seconds and 190 meters. I've not even properly gone for it yet.

In a friends car at the GTRDC runway, I did 222mph in a standing mile. That's bonkers. But, it was all done and dusted in just 1 mile and was at medium / low boost too. He recently hit 190mph in half a mile and 240mph in a mile.

Considering the speeds, the time and distance to get there is nothing which in my eyes means fun / speed is very very accessable in a GT-R but be warned, as the power rises the opportunities to properly make the most of it seem to decrease - unless you don't mind going ASBO

21 - 40 of 52 Posts