GTR Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
as for the original question of the thread. yes I always found I could enjoy my car on the road. With 650bhp I found I could push on most of the time although I don't speed around other motorists. I coulf however blast the throttle open most of the time and zip along a road.

Since adding a chunk more power I have to seriously pick my moments and things need to be just right.

Something that differentiates the GT-R from the 370 is just how accessible the speed is. In the 370 you'd wind it up and get some speed going and it would take a while. In a tuned GT-R, like a motorbike, you get a gap and can go nuts - smash some serious speed out and then slow back down and it's all done in the blink of an eye. Which for me means less time at risk and very little distance required to get your kicks.

My car isn't even a fast one and it knocks out 100 - 200kph / 62mph - 124mph in 4.47 seconds and 190 meters. I've not even properly gone for it yet.

In a friends car at the GTRDC runway, I did 222mph in a standing mile. That's bonkers. But, it was all done and dusted in just 1 mile and was at medium / low boost too. He recently hit 190mph in half a mile and 240mph in a mile.

Considering the speeds, the time and distance to get there is nothing which in my eyes means fun / speed is very very accessable in a GT-R but be warned, as the power rises the opportunities to properly make the most of it seem to decrease - unless you don't mind going ASBO
I***8217;m guessing stage 4 or 4.25? Those speeds and times are insane!

·
Premium Member
5,659 Posts
I guess stage 6 although power turned down as my fuel system is maxed out and the gearbox wasn't built then. Box is built now so need to pop in some bigger injectors and uprate my intercooler and then i'll be getting busy with the dragy again and hopefully recording a 3.X 100 - 200kph time

The car that did 222 has pretty much everything done to it. Sure its 100 - 200 time is under 3 seconds!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I***8217;ve got an M3 f80 as the daily and it ticks all the boxes, but when I***8217;m out in the gtr it feels and sounds special, the speed, pickup and the 4wd puts a grin on your face it***8217;s a totally different animal.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Speed is a funny thing. I was on the same Runwayday as GTR Mart. Hit 182.2! The car is so planted that after 150 my brain recalibrated and it seemed totally sane. Slowing down 100 felt 30 then the bales of hay rushed up towards me and the brakes got a workout.

So to truly enjoy speed it has to be dynamic. Accelerating cornering overtaking all increase the sensation of speed. The GTRs power grip and acceleration makes that possible in any safe situation and deadly in unsafe ones.

So yes you can enjoy the speed. But to experience the highest speeds and the limits of this amazing mechanical gift from the gods....the track.

·
Premium Member
5,659 Posts
This is absolutely true. at 5/10'ths the GT-R feels a little sterile. Where people might be tempted to think they drive themselves or lack engagement.

At 8/10'th and beyond, they are incredibly engaging and at times, terrifying.

As David said, got to be the right time and place and also recommend people spending time acclimatising to their car's quirks. Runway days, track days and drag strips are golden opportunities to do this in as safe an environment as possible.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
This is absolutely true. at 5/10'ths the GT-R feels a little sterile. Where people might be tempted to think they drive themselves or lack engagement.

At 8/10'th and beyond, they are incredibly engaging and at times, terrifying.

As David said, got to be the right time and place and also recommend people spending time acclimatising to their car's quirks. Runway days, track days and drag strips are golden opportunities to do this in as safe an environment as possible.
BUT if you***8217;re used to the car, can you use that 8/10 and up on roads? (Genuine question, I don***8217;t know! Ha)

·
Premium Member
5,659 Posts
Yes, for sure. Just don't be ASBO. Be accountable for other peoples poor driving. if you do it at the wrong times, expect people to be pulling out on you - when it happens, remember that it's your fault. Or ideally pick your moments when the road is clear.

At <800bhp you would be surprised how often those moments are available.

*disclaimer - naturally, I never would

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Speed is a funny thing. I was on the same Runwayday as GTR Mart. Hit 182.2! The car is so planted that after 150 my brain recalibrated and it seemed totally sane. Slowing down 100 felt 30 then the bales of hay rushed up towards me and the brakes got a workout.

So to truly enjoy speed it has to be dynamic. Accelerating cornering overtaking all increase the sensation of speed. The GTRs power grip and acceleration makes that possible in any safe situation and deadly in unsafe ones.

So yes you can enjoy the speed. But to experience the highest speeds and the limits of this amazing mechanical gift from the gods....the track.
Yes, I suppose it***8217;s being pinned in your seat that***8217;s the fun bit. Whether that***8217;s launching to 60 or a 3/4th gear pull. It***8217;s just one of those scenarios gets your license taken off you! Ha.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Yes, for sure. Just don't be ASBO. Be accountable for other peoples poor driving. if you do it at the wrong times, expect people to be pulling out on you - when it happens, remember that it's your fault. Or ideally pick your moments when the road is clear.

At <800bhp you would be surprised how often those moments are available.

*disclaimer - naturally, I never would
Thanks for your feedback. It just makes the purchase of my dream car even more exciting!

PS 100-200kph times are a great indicator of performance. To have that in the 3s will be insane fun. Good luck with the tuning.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hello all. I’ve been on here for a while, reading posts. But recently signed up as I’m getting a GTR next year. So this is my first post ***x1f642;

I own an ‘18 370Z nismo currently, and that power, especially being RWD can feel quite a handful on the roads. I’m only ever a few seconds of open throttle away from license banning speeds. So my question is really, can you enjoy that insane speed on the roads? If so, when, or in what situation?
You'll find owning a GTR much more fun that just going insane speeds..sounds utterly ridiculous but that's how my ownership is going tbh.

Some drives out I don't reckon I'm WOT for more that a couple of seconds sometimes, other times going to a car show or something I've been at lock me up and throw away the key speeds...both enjoyable for different reasons:)

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Try a track day. Add some race fuel. See what she can really do. A bit like my other significant item. Take her to a track day (Goodwood) and fuel (champagne ) and watch her go! That said smiles per litre the GTR wins hands down.

·
Registered
751 Posts
After eight years of driving/modifying the GT-R and nearly 70k miles, I found pushing the car a lot harder on familiar roads way more satisfying than a simple point and squirt.
Driving the car through sequences of bends and undulations at the (legal) limit would be outside the capability of handling/grip of many other marques and it really allows you to feel what the R35 can do handling wise without being a complete hooligan ... and it brightens up the commute immensely. A roads rather than B unless they are good, GT-R is just too bloody big for most.

I owned a 350Z before the R35 and have driven a 370Z a few times and despite being manuals with good balance they were just too heavy and underpowered (dull) to be serious fun. R35 is predominantly RWD with far less intrusive traction control (compared to the Nissan's) so I wouldn't have any worries there.

... I like that it sounds like you understand the car more and more and get better in it. One of my biggest worries was that it was too ***8220;easy***8221; to drive. Too many high end German cars are like this now.
To be honest this is no different to 2009 when a lot of people were saying the GT-R was easy to drive with 4WD, GR6 double clutch transmission and stability/yaw control. Fast forward ten years and it's the GT-R that feels incredibly mechanical in comparison. Progress in suspension, steering, gearbox and traction control have simply moved the bar and it's testament to the original R35 design that it is still able to compete with very little improvement from Nissan as they've milked it over the years.
I now own a high end German and although I'm still learning how to exploit her, I really am growing to love how it is different. CAT DT's were tremendous fun in the GT-R, they can teach you a lot about how to get the best out of it. Trying to find something similar for the new one.

Protegimus

41 - 52 of 52 Posts