GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am going to be rejoining the fold again soon:clap:

I am having a bit of a dilemma over the sort of power I am looking for in the next GTR.

is it possible to have a car that has 2 maps, one for daily use sy 450 bhp ish, and one for track days running 500+.

I realise without changing parts it would be a bit of a compromise but I can only justify one car and I do quite a lot of miles, so it would be a significant saving in fuel if I could run separate maps.

I realise the service intervals are an issue, but the problem I have is parking and justifying to the wife my need for two cars. so if possible I'd like to do this so I can spec a car to be the best of both worlds...

What do you think?

I am aware that the logical choice is to run 2 cars but I really want to be behind the wheel of a GTR again and I don't do enough trackdays to warrant a track car on it's own.

I am breaking my track car as it gets no use.

cheers
Steve

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
You can run 2 maps. You would have to load them into your ECU as you require them.

I've looked into this but I found in was not really needed.

With a good bit of mapping you can have an economical cruise and simply 2 boost settings. Hi and low.

What else would you be looking for??

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a point. so does anyone use a mid- high power GTR for daily use with the boost turned down ?

What sort of implications does this have to fuel economy.

I know that these cars are never brilliant on fuel compared to the average ford focus but does the fuel economy go down the pan completely if you have say a 550- 600 bhp car and run it at 0.7 bar on a daily basis ?

the reason I am asking is because that endless GTR in the for sale section looks nice ;)

/Steve

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
if you use an F-con V Pro then yes, When i went to the pod with nick and **** they were both running 2 different maps, one for normal road fuel with a lower boost pressure and when they got to the pod they flicked a switch on the f-con pro and it changed to a different map which meant it ran more boost and ran on different fuel (race fuel)

if i was keeping mine it is what i would be doing.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
i run my gtr everyday and its at 546bhp.

only thing that annoys me is the coilovers as the industrial estate i work in has crap roads but apart from that i love it. fuel isnt to bad, havent really measured it properly

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have the Vpro and you can have 2 maps if you want,I did not need 2 so never got into the details of how you switch..All I have is a greddy boost controller so I can run boost at 0.6(i think) 1bar and 1.2 bar..I could have had the high boost set at 1.4 for more power but it was 499 at the axles at 1.2bar on a dynapack..
I run it most days and getting to work,38 mile round trip mostly in traffic both ways and leaving it at 1bar I can get about 200miles on 3/4 of a tank..

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
If you have a means of loading them onto your ECU, you can have as many maps as you like :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Using a low and high boost setting is the easiest way - but my car is too extreme to be a daily driver - it's actuator spring is about 1.15bar, so it can't run lower boost than that, and the T78 + hot cams mean no boost until 5500rpm, which can be a pain...

It's circuit spec coilovers, squeaky brakes and race seats and harnesses aren't ideal either...

Even pottering around, it still only gets about 15mpg too...

Maybe if you got something less extreme, it would be OK, though...

I have a 4.0 Jag XJS as my economical car (26mpg LOL :D)

Cheers :)

Rog

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
I guess a good boost controller should give you all the fun you need between day use and track use. The only time you might want multiple maps is if you run different fuel settings. I have two maps with different settings for standard/road fuel and higher octane stuff for straight lining, so it's not difficult. I think there's even a new switch that you can extend of the F-ConV that will allow you to do this without too much fussing about :)

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the info chaps :)

I have to build a new garage/ car port once my track car is out of the way then it is all systems go on the GTR....

Cheers
Steve

·
GTROC Member
267 Posts
Hi Steve,

Our's (my wife's) is running 522BHP, and has a Greddy Profec B boost controller. We've found that although it's got high and low boost settings, it invariably gets left on high, and for daily driving if you don't want to go that quick, this can be controlled with your right foot!

Seriously, in general it does around 20mpg, although up to 23 or so taking it easy on the motorway. Obviously this drops in proportion to how much fun you're having.

Didn't you used to have a red R33GTR? I'm sure I had a chat with you at Boxhill a few years back?

Anyway - you know it makes sense.

All the best,

Conrad. :)

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
Seems bloody stupid to me.

If you want to use less fuel, dont need to turn the boost down, you only got boost when you hammering it anyway, always amazes me that people say that.

To use less fuel, use less throttle, simple as. And most importantly, get it mapped by someone who will do a proper job.

ONLY way a seperate map will save you fuel is if the current map is so badly done that it runs super rich all over the map.
Wouldnt like to comment for Skyline mappers, but if done properly you can have full economy and full power and full drivability on one map.
It just takes time and effort and skill, not just 30mins mapping and a big bill.

Skylines got lambda sensors anyhow, why dont they get used in the map so the car runs off them at light load? Done on plenty other big power cars.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I think you'll find for a road car any good mapper uses closed loop when running at lower throttle, boost and RPM limits after he/she has finished the tuning on the dyno. Is that what you mean by using the lambda sensors ?

·
R35 Section manager
11,052 Posts
What part of West Sussex are you from Steve????

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Treg, I live in sompting.

C&C yes that was me Red R33 Vspec. I sold it to TJ who then took it to another level totally.

I have been playing with 200sx's for the last 4 years, S13 which later became a track specific car, and I had a Silvia S15 for about 18 months too.

it is a very close call between another S15 and a skyline, but seeing as everything I drive gets compared to my old skyline I thought I may as well get one again.

when I sold it my R33 had 415 bhp and was reasonably quick. but I felt like it needed more. which is why I am thinking along the lines of 500+ ish but with the miles I do in my job then I am no sure the two go together.

Trouble is I have an 80 mile a day round trip when I am in the office hence the fuel economy question. the roads I need to drive down are not particularly fast as there is always lots of traffic, but on the odd morning when it is clear then I'll be having fun...

/Steve

·
Registered
805 Posts
Tell you what Steve if you go for the Endless R32 you can have my trusty Micra to run around in, sadly it won't be much good for the long trips, so you'd be forced to use the GTR ;) :D, sound like a plan you could sell to Amanda

There is a downside, I'll want to come round and fondle her occasionally.... no not 'her'.... the Micra.. well maybe the GTR too :p :D

RonS

1 - 18 of 18 Posts