GTR Forum banner

Can you run no waterfeeds to turbos?

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  ronski 
#1 ·
I have an (S13 200sx) RB26 using twin steel internal turbos..It is drift car that gets very hot when drifting.I have tried all the usual things like using twin electric fans as well as the viscous fan,Koyo rad,ducting,no stat etc and it still gets very hot very quickly...

I used to run no water feeds to the turbo on my last drift car(SR20 engine s14) with great results. I did 20 drift days and it never ran too hot or overheated.The turbo stayed in great condition and was standard turbo for the engine..

My question is,can I bypass the waterfeeds to the turbos on the RB26??..and has anyone else done this??

#6 ·
Personally i dont see an issue with removing the water feeds mate. As usual though you will get some folk who will prob come on and disagree implying that the world will end if you do it ! LOL

On stock turbo's the water feeds are there becasue manufacturers know that your average joe wants to jump in, drive then switch off and not let it sit idling to cool for a bit before switch off. The water feeds aid the cooldown but if you look after your car and let everything heat up and cool before and after use then theres no reason not to ditch the water feeds.

If you look about you will see that alot of uprated turbo's dont run water. Also on lots of garret ones they give waterr cooling as an option so you can either have it or not. The rest of the turbo is exactly the same.

#9 ·
To be honest I was just confirming my suspicions that it would be ok to do this as I have done it before on my last drift car with no problems...

I was also thinking of fitting an oil cooler so the extra heat not absorbed by the water would not overheat the oil...thanks for your replies:thumbsup:

#10 ·
a big old oil cooler will certainly help :)
my ex-mechanic told me that my t76 would be fine without water cooling and just with an oil cooler, i soon proved him wrong and turned it bright red, thankfully it didnt cause any damage though...
you're probably fine to run it without water cooling as long as you stick an oil cooler on there, dont abuse it ridiculously, and give the oil and turbos enough time to cool down after/between runs :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.