GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

After a bit of flatting and polishing and polishing and polishing... this is the result. Still got a lot of car left to go.....

Lets see some close ups of your pride and joy

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Removed badges and rear wing!

1500 wet and dry, rotary Megs 84, mez IP, mez FP 2 and zymol(titanium). Stuck the badges back on before waxing. It does look good, but takes time! measured the paint before and after, whole process removed about 10 microns.

If you are going to try it, take your time and practise on a mates car first:chuckle:

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
wow....black cars do polish up nicely if you're prepared to put the elbow grease in. What a result though. :cool: Shame they get dusty so quickly...

·
Registered
1,883 Posts

1500 wet and dry, rotary Megs 84, mez IP, mez FP 2 and zymol(titanium). Stuck the badges back on before waxing. It does look good, but takes time! measured the paint before and after, whole process removed about 10 microns.

If you are going to try it, take your time and practise on a mates car first:chuckle:
WOW! That is amazing...

Would you care to explain in english? :chuckle:

Asim

·
Registered
656 Posts
Fantastic results, looking forward to seeing the completed car!

Do you use a Porter Cable?

·
Banned
466 Posts
Forget about the bathroom mirror in the morning...just head outside to the car and let the neighbors watch you brush your teeth in front of the boot lid :chuckle:

·
Registered
6 Posts
thats a awesome finish u got there, and by the sounds of it many many painstaking hours of work. Im still only 3 stages though polishing my car and its been around 6 weeks! mainly because im a lazy bugger but doing each layer properly does take about 8hours!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Paint

Saw this pic last week..Looks lovely...As a matter of interest how many micons thick was the standard paint on the boot lid...Im worried about the rotary and even the PC on the bootlid..Will need to get myself a CM8828 paint thickness gauge before going any more to my car...How was the Megs and rotary with removing 1500 grade. I like to go to 2400 before machine polishing...

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
That looks stunning

Just took delivery of a Porter cable so now I've something to aim for

Well done

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Translation

Translated version-- He used 1500 wet and dry paper to smooth out the imperfectons in the paint ( rough paint doesnt get good reflections ). The wet and dry sanding process leaves small scratches all over the paint which looks really bad ,to get rid of these he used some Meguires No.84 ( professional range ). This takes away loads of the heavier marks from the sanding process. Then he used Menzerna IP again this gets rid of the marks left behind during the Megs process. The Menzerna FP is a finishing polish or finish polish with a little cutting compound in it but much less than the IP.So now you have a great base with protection ( from the Menzerna ) to lay down the final stage of Zymol to get that lovely glass/mirror like shine.

The rotary is a machine ( buffing type ) which is used to apply most of the above waxes etc.The PC7424 (Porter Cable 7424 ) is similar to a rotary in that it is used to apply waxes /sealants etc however it works the waxes etc by a random orbital method which produces less heat in your paint than a rotary ( read this as safer for the paint ) but its not quite a good as a rotary for paint correction.Hope this helps...and it gets me nearer the 1000 posts marker....:chuckle:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts