GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned my first Gtr r35 for two weeks now and haven't even sat in the drivers seat yet. In August 2011 I was unlucky enough to be involved in a accident with a tractor on my Suzuki Gsxr 1000. I was overtaking a line of traffic that was following a tractor, it was a straight road (no speed involved) and had more than plenty enough road to overtake. I'd nearly completed the move, only had the tractor to overtake when all of a sudden he turned right with no indication or anything. This ended up with me hitting the front wheel head first, I was air lifted to hospital and stayed there for 6 mths. My end result was the accident had left me paralysed from the chest down. Tomorrow is the day my hand controls are fitted to my car and as you can image I'm well excited......don't think I'll sleep tonight.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Good luck and I hope the first drive goes well. I am sorry to hear about your accident but your recovery is testament to your strong character. Drive safe.

H

·
Registered
947 Posts
sorry to hear about your accident is allways hard in your case even harder.
i'm happy to hear you got your head up and now you looking foward.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
enjoy your new car they are lovely machines :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hi Gaz, that's an incredible story. It's pretty amazing to think you can get controls fitted to a GTR and drive it without use of your legs.

Have a Great day tomorrow. There's nothing like the anticipation of picking up such a cool new toy!

·
Premium Member
13,400 Posts
It's pretty amazing to think you can get controls fitted to a GTR and drive it without use of your legs.
There's a few GT R owners on here who run hand controls and it's not a real limitation. One of them, Wheels, did the ASDA charity day a couple of years back and not many of his passengers realised he was on hand controls.

Gaz, best of luck with the new car.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Gaz I for one would be interested to see what the control adaptations you chose to enable you to drive the GTR.

H

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
You will love it Gaz, a perfect car to drive with hand controls. You'll be fine, just take your time and get to know it steady at first especially in these cold wet conditions.

If you have any questions feel free to ask away.

Wayne.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I was working at Brands instructing last year and a young guy turned up for the evening track day with hand controls on his GTR, he used to be a member of GTROC but said he let his membership lapse, the car was a DMG. Seemed to be going well considering his handicap, very impressive how the hand controls work.

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
Enjoy your day tomorrow, moving story fella, very moving!You'll be one of the few looking forward to a Monday morning too ;)

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
A very bitter-sweet story there Gaz but you're obviously very positive and that's a wonderful thing to see / read and is a great testament to your character.

Good luck tomorrow. I hope it's all that you hope it to be and more!

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Bitter/Sweet - great to hear that you have such a positive attitude and good luck to you :thumbsup:

I was given a spin around Bruntingthorpe in a hand controlled R35, car went like a dream!

Enjoy today, I still am 3.5 years later....

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Don't forget pics, we neeeed pictures (once you've gone through four tanks of vPower obviously)
So tomorrow then.

Well done op

·
Registered
641 Posts
I've owned my first Gtr r35 for two weeks now and haven't even sat in the drivers seat yet. In August 2011 I was unlucky enough to be involved in a accident with a tractor on my Suzuki Gsxr 1000. I was overtaking a line of traffic that was following a tractor, it was a straight road (no speed involved) and had more than plenty enough road to overtake. I'd nearly completed the move, only had the tractor to overtake when all of a sudden he turned right with no indication or anything. This ended up with me hitting the front wheel head first, I was air lifted to hospital and stayed there for 6 mths. My end result was the accident had left me paralysed from the chest down. Tomorrow is the day my hand controls are fitted to my car and as you can image I'm well excited......don't think I'll sleep tonight.
:( Sorry to here the accident cost you your "Mobility", but by the sounds of it your determined NOT to let it get in the way too much.
Be very careful of the car's power, best regards and speedy onward recovery J.:)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the lovely comments lads. Now the hand controls are fitted and I've been out for my first drive in a Gtr. What can I say apart from what an amazing car!. Not the best conditions today being damp and greasy, but I've really enjoyed it ...I'm still smiling now. Looking forward to the nice weather now and hopefully meet up with a few of you in the near future :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts