GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 weeks time I will have my car back out of storage, hopefully weather will be ok. Been 3 looooooooooooong months without it!

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
It's was a feat day out there today mate. Not to cold, bright sky and clear roads early doors ; )

Enjoy whe you get her back out mate.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm the same, I've a couple of more trips to do then that's me for the summer.
I cant wait to get the car out for a blast, will have to get the latest software sorted out though.
J

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
We are talking about GT-Rs here aren't we? They are the perfect all year round car! ;))
Exactly, mine is driven all year round

·
Banned
51 Posts
For me the attraction of the Nissan is that it's a tough, all-round daily driver - rather than a precious/fragile exotic that needs pampering every time it's used...

Don't get me wrong, my car is fastidiously cared for - but getting in it EVERY day makes that effort worthwhile.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yip it is an all year round car but i just dont fancy salt destroyin my cor rims. Maybe nxt year another set of rims for winter.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mines an everyday user. I couldn't have it any other way.
I was tempted to get a weekday runaround, but couldn't find anything suitable.
Although could be tempted by mk1 mx5 bbr turbo.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Yep, took mine out today for the first time since Nov and loved every moment! Normally I get an itch to change a car after 2 years, I've had this one near 3.5 years and no sign of any itch yet!

Stopped for a coffee at a popular bikers caff this afternoon that was full of two wheeled thrill seekers and I was told to "give it the gravy bud" not sure if he was taking the piss, gay or liked the car ..............

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Yip it is an all year round car but i just dont fancy salt destroyin my cor rims. Maybe nxt year another set of rims for winter.
Only seen them lay salt down once this winter and that was in early Dec and that wasn't needed.

Went for a fantastic hammer in the Evo yesterday and did the same route in the GTR today. Both absolutely fantastic hoons!

Unfortunately, there are fears that the story weather will be here until May :(

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I am on the right forum right? GT-R owners club?

Now this is just my opinion so please don't take it to heart, i'm genuinely interested in the answer. Why spend so much money on a car to just lock it up ?

Today was a beautiful day down in Dorset, clear sunny skies all day, took a trip to Poole and Bournemouth in the beast, and was brilliant, lots of headturning, thumbs up, and streets woken up ;)

I know part of the answer could be re-sale value, which I agree with to an extent, but buying a car is to enjoy it, so if my car is worth less to one that is neglected for 3-4 months of the year, and mine is worth less, well does not really bother me, since I know I had more fun in mine all round the clock :)

If people buy cars and worry too much about the re-sale value, you are never going to enjoy the car fully, and should not buy a car of this value in the first place.
I don't care what mine sells for, as long as I get my enjoyment from it while I have it, which is why I bought it.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Only seen them lay salt down once this winter and that was in early Dec and that wasn't needed.

Went for a fantastic hammer in the Evo yesterday and did the same route in the GTR today. Both absolutely fantastic hoons!

I'm moving to your town! The gritters have been out 4 or 5 times a week here in Somerset since November, and not once has it been needed. Wrote to the Council and my MP, and she agrees with me about the ridiculous waste of money, and is picking a fight with the Council. Probably won't make any diference but you have to try.

Talking of Evo's, a few of us went for a spin last night, and one mate was in his Evo, quick beast running 1.6 bar. He gave it a bit too much exiting a roundabout, dual carriageway, freshly gritted, 7 degrees, but that stuff makes the surface greasy as hell, and he lost it - over corrected and smashed into the central armco. All his own fault of course, should have known better, but horrible to see.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I agree, you gotta make the most of the car..

Although i am also a bit ocd and take good care of the car, it still gets driven in the snow, sleet, hail, storms and everything :)

Either way, have just landed back in Dubai this morning and really gonna miss it :( First day here, and im already on GTR forums and Litchfield website looking at stage 4 haha :p

·
Banned
51 Posts
I'm moving to your town! The gritters have been out 4 or 5 times a week here in Somerset since November, and not once has it been needed. Wrote to the Council and my MP, and she agrees with me about the ridiculous waste of money, and is picking a fight with the Council. Probably won't make any diference but you have to try.
Sounds like they have budget to spend before the end of their financial year or they lose it next year. I live just north of London and could count the amount of times I've seen a gritter this year on one hand probably....

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
I tend to lock my car up when the salt and **** road conditions appear but its nothing to do about money. Give me a dry day like yesterday and it does come out, I watch the weather forecast for "dry" days and hopefully dry roads so I can take it out. Yesterday was the first dry and dry road day for us since early Dec!

I just don't like the thought of it looking like **** and all that salt eating away at the carefully applied wax and metalwork!

The car was bought for weekend driving and not as a daily drive so its a special purchase for us and I like to treat it that way.

the GTR is spotless and pampered, but you should see the state of my DD!

·
Premium Member
5,870 Posts
MPSS on, I can still have fun in the wet with mine, weather doesn't both me, wet or dry. Obviously dry means you can play even harder.

I tend to lock my car up when the salt and **** road conditions appear but its nothing to do about money. Give me a dry day like yesterday and it does come out, I watch the weather forecast for "dry" days and hopefully dry roads so I can take it out. Yesterday was the first dry and dry road day for us since early Dec!

I just don't like the thought of it looking like **** and all that salt eating away at the carefully applied wax and metalwork!

The car was bought for weekend driving and not as a daily drive so its a special purchase for us and I like to treat it that way.

the GTR is spotless and pampered, but you should see the state of my DD!
What tyres have you got on the GT-R? and yesterday was glorious, I took mine out and had a great blast... someone said my car looks like the one off knight rider! lol

I am on the right forum right? GT-R owners club?

Now this is just my opinion so please don't take it to heart, i'm genuinely interested in the answer. Why spend so much money on a car to just lock it up ?

Today was a beautiful day down in Dorset, clear sunny skies all day, took a trip to Poole and Bournemouth in the beast, and was brilliant, lots of headturning, thumbs up, and streets woken up ;)

I know part of the answer could be re-sale value, which I agree with to an extent, but buying a car is to enjoy it, so if my car is worth less to one that is neglected for 3-4 months of the year, and mine is worth less, well does not really bother me, since I know I had more fun in mine all round the clock :)

If people buy cars and worry too much about the re-sale value, you are never going to enjoy the car fully, and should not buy a car of this value in the first place.
I don't care what mine sells for, as long as I get my enjoyment from it while I have it, which is why I bought it.
+1 I'm with you brother! mine's my daily, and for weekend manoeuvres..

For me the attraction of the Nissan is that it's a tough, all-round daily driver - rather than a precious/fragile exotic that needs pampering every time it's used...

Don't get me wrong, my car is fastidiously cared for - but getting in it EVERY day makes that effort worthwhile.
+1

Yep, took mine out today for the first time since Nov and loved every moment! Normally I get an itch to change a car after 2 years, I've had this one near 3.5 years and no sign of any itch yet!

Stopped for a coffee at a popular bikers caff this afternoon that was full of two wheeled thrill seekers and I was told to "give it the gravy bud" not sure if he was taking the piss, gay or liked the car ..............
What does give it the gravy mean? is that biker speak?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I swear this is like the 5th thread in as many months on winter driving, same people saying the same things.

Zzzzzzzzzz

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
+1 ^ Vxrcymru...and to use for track outings, meets, dyno days, other enthusiast activities.
Although it can be used as a DD in all the s**t conditions,.......M25 car parks at 5mph to work and watching your recently valeted lovely car get cr*p all over it simply to use between 07:00 to 07:30 and 17:00 to 19:00 ... in the dark, with wet, gritted, turd infested flooded roads and people p*ssing about in the outside lane cos "they're doing the speed limit" and they intend to police you as a result, ......doesn't mean that you should.
Anyway I too had a good hoon this weekend (and last actually) and the car went back to the garage without a f*ck ton of shite all over it.
Having other cars more suitable for DD that the eastern European car washers take care of once a fortnight is a better idea if you have the resources.

and my 1st post on the subject in the 5 threads (at least I think it is ;-).

·
Registered
471 Posts
We all have different situations and priorities so there's never going to be one real answer for everyone.
But..
Between work, holidays and Christmas I hardly have any time to use mine the few months that its away so why not have it tucked up in a heated garage out of harms way.
I still have my Evo for when I fancy a winter blast and being totally honest on wet, muddy, icy roads there is more fun to be had with it than the Gtr anyway.
I have a Shogun that is as good as anything for when the weather gets really poor.

Some people have Gtrs for nothing other than track cars :)

So unless you get a thrill from the broadsiding white knuckle ride that the Dunlops give when they aqua plain,
enjoy using the splitter as a snow plough,
have treated yours in a way where salt wont dissolve it like every other Jap car
I can't see how anyone can claim that a Gtr is in any way a "good" all year round car.
J

1 - 20 of 21 Posts