GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I opened my front door to my gtr with the passenger door left wide open. Some little shit has stolen my ipad mini (incl the mount I made) and my ecutek cable and license key. It's possible the car was left unlocked or had unlocked itself somehow as there was no sign of a forced entry. I have reported to the police and I've switched on icloud tracking to find the chancer. Another neighbour has lost a satnav in the same way last night so I think it's kids. Please keep an eye out for my ecutek cable on eBay or being offered for sale. It's a strange thing to take. Thankfully the car was left unmarked. Preston Lancashire

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Can you get the EcuTek licence cancelled and then a new one issued to you? So the stolen one can't be used

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
I know it's a bit late but I have a great tip for everyone on here if something similar happens.

American Express My Essentials insurance cover.

£10/month covers all items/gadgets in your home including accidental damage. You don't need to register items below £250.

I suspect your ecutek cable would also have been covered.

It's amazing, considering mobile phone insurance could be £10/month it covers all mobiles in the family, in my case 5, all ipads (4) laptops, etc. Also covers loss of expensive transponder keys and if you are left stranded, they put you up for the night and get your car recovered, then replace your key.

No excess and easy to deal with, having recently claimed for a new ipad screen when I dropped mine on a recent trip to Litchfields.

I'm sorry that this doesn't really help you here, but it might help you or someone else in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
Sorry to hear that, hopefully you can trace the ipad's gps location.

Adam, do you need to an american express card already to take out this cover?

545 Posts
gutted for you, fingers crossed you can track the iPad and catch them.

Strange how the cars come unlocked, maybe someone used that fob that stops you locking the car? someone had mentioned it on here the other day

Chris

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
I don't think that matters, there doesn't seem to be a level of stupidity test.

I dropped my ipad by lifting it the wrong way and watching it slip out of its cover. No questions asked - they paid out.

Tin, it used to be that you had to be invited to get the cover, but now it appears on their website that you can apply for it.

edit to say: now checked and it is exclusive to card members, but the simple answer is to become one.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Really sorry to hear that Perrin : (

Unfortunately it's not just kids that do this but includes junkies who get a score a time for each nav etc. it's worth paying your local pawnbrokers a visit for the iPad mate. A lot of these clowns nick the goods and pawn them ASAP. See if you local town centre has any. It's a long shot but from experience it can yeald results.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Hope they catch the scumbags.

On the plus side at least there was no damage to door mechanisms or smashed windows etc. Every cloud and all that.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
There's far too much of this in this country - the deterrent is a joke.
Sorry to hear you've been a victim too. It makes my blood boil, it really does.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Agreed....if the punishments were a bit more severe the crime rate would reduce overnight.

Really sorry to hear thieving gits have been in your car but can't help thinking it might have been avoidable if you had removed the Ipad etc from the car (making assumption ipad was on the mount and visible - if not then disregard comment).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Every night I always press the 'lock' on my keyfob just in case my lovely son has been at the keys pressing the buttons!
Are the Cobra systems not Thatcham 1 systems? I thought one of the good things about Thatcham 1 is that if the vehicle is unlocked and no door is opened (unlocked in error) it automatically re-locks and re-arms the system?

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Are the Cobra systems not Thatcham 1 systems? I thought one of the good things about Thatcham 1 is that if the vehicle is unlocked and no door is opened (unlocked in error) it automatically re-locks and re-arms the system?
Mine does this....unlock and don't open and it re locks after a short period of time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine does this....unlock and don't open and it re locks after a short period of time.
I presume it is a different matter if you have the plug and play remote start feature? Can the car be accidentally started from in the house? That would not be too good if you did that before bed and had a nice big long lie in !

·
Registered
924 Posts
+1 and then some to that.

Cut their bloody hands off and they only do it twice, max.

Really sorry to hear that Perrin.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts