GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got in after taking my partner to work. Was 1 degree C outside (on aircon readout). Have been looking forward to this since last winter. First and second gear acceleration was wicked:smokin: Took it easy on the roundabouts in 2nd gear for obvious reasons;)
Anyone else been out "playing" this early in the day?
And since the car made 422 bhp (flywheel est.) at a dyno in May, can I expect to be seeing more power than that with the temperature so cold outside?
Dave

·
Registered
364 Posts
hi all,i know it's a different car but my modified astra was quicker when it was cold and when i changed the induction kit it was even better something to do with cold air being dense thus giving a better spark which equals better performance? this being the idea behind intercoolers?

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Not often I get to boast about excellent driving weather, but if I tell you it has been circa -2ºC and very dry at 6am every morning this week you'll be jealous at all that "Reduced Charge Temperature Fun" I've been having :D

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
davewilkins said:
are the southerners missing out on all of our "northern" fun:D
Nah, it's cool enough down here that my car a fair bit pokier. First couple of gears are awesome.

Ya can't beat forced induction and cold air temps !

Daz

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Definitely noticed that too. During humid and hot summers the car feels a bit on the sluggish side, but once winter hits here its really dry and chilly and the car feels awesome(more pops out the back too!). Too bad its still 22 odd degrees now:D ;)

·
Registered
905 Posts
Even Works with a Standard GTS SMIC Too, thought I was the Only one that grinned a Lot at 6am!!!!

Si

·
Registered
961 Posts
and then theres me riding to work freeing me ....bum off ,

:rolleyes: :)

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Winter rocks !!!

I could be wrong.......que Mycroft......but I always understood that the reason behind this phenomenon was the colder air is denser and therefore provides more air molecules for the petrol to mix with. Thus giving a more potent charge for the engine to explode in a bigger bang and thus more power.

This is also helped by more moisture in the air acting as a semi water injection system helping with charge temps (even more fuel) all of which would be felt to a greater degree in a turbocharged or uprated intake system car.

The lower air temp would also help with all other heat related issues....under bonnet temps..heat soak....and so on. I dare say Mr Sportec and his overheating Audi would benefit from cold weather track days!!! lol

And dont forget that the tyres will be slightly less effective which = more slidey drifty which = more fun !! hehehe

James.........:cool:

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Oi James

Getting a bit technical aren't we :D .

And on cold mornings on the motorbikes we go slower because our hands and feet freeze up yes :D .

glen

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Bikes: nice, just two wheels and an RB26DETT short of the real thing !! :p ;) :D

hehe I'd like to see you on your bike in the cold... hehe :p :smokin:

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
lol !!

I can understand how the cold mornings would slow an old timer like you Glen !! :D

However, I passed my bike test around October time, and my first bike was an original nutter-blade so there! :p

Andre.......we cant all race such impressive tin cans as yours, so we have to get our thrills in other ways!!!

Funniest bit about my first winter, was three days after passing we had a frost, and as I rode to work i kept feeling this weird vibe between my legs, and noticed the rev counter twitching by a 1000revs or so..........turned out it was the rear wheel spinning up as it went through patches of sunlight and shadow between the hedgerow!!!:D

As the saying goes......what ya dont know cant harm ya!!! pmsl

James........:cool:

PS Whats wrong with getting technical now and again!!.......I appear stoopid so as to fool the likes of you !!!lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts