GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not normally one for sensible words but I am going to have a crack at it...

been having various thoughts on the issue in light of the recent increase in this b*llocks and came up with a idea, not sure if any good but might start an interesting conversation on ideas on beating/standing up to it all.

My way of thinking is that no matter how much security you have on the car and driveway/garage, if the wankers get your keys they can undo it all anyway and if you have a device they cant sort out they will be sticking a gun to your head for the solution so I thought, how about a system that lets them take the car until it cuts out 1 mile down the road, at least then they are not in your face and will hopefully scare them off/give you time to do something about it.

Thought about fuel cuts/switches on fuel pump/in line tap on pump but thats not going to work as the car will only run for about 10 secs and they will not be off your driveway and be back to you for more, so... may try rigging a turbo timer delayed system for the fuel pump wiring, ie, after 30 secs it cuts the live wire and the car will stall. obviously needs some thought, not exactly a patent idea just yet but I have an old turbo timer and may rig somekind of bodge to see if its possible.

Anyone had any thoughts/know of any interesting products?

Dirk serious Diggler ( usually fastblue silver slug eater )

·
Registered
592 Posts
Pager seems the way to me!

I was thinking of this just coz I have a really old one sitting around at home doing nothing - a bit of ripping it apart and maybe do a circiut breaker with the buzzer!!

Then call the number! after 5 min's

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
interesting

do you have the know how to give it a go?

Would be interesting saturday afternoon waste of time:)

Dirk

·
Registered
592 Posts
No

But there is a elec engineering dept at work who should be able too put some thought to it...

suppose the only problems would be

battery going flat - could get round this
Someone ringing the wrong number - ouch - maybe code to get around that.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Dirk,

The solution you describe is already incorporated in Clifford G4 alarms. It's called BlackJax:

"BlackJax terminates carjackings by allowing the criminal to drive a safe distance away safely shutting the engine down. To drwa attention to the vehicle, the brake lights and indicators flash and the siren will sound."

It's bloody annoying to live with as every time a door is opened on the car with the ignition on, you must enter you pin code to stop it being activated but I guess it would work.

Peter.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Try this equipment

Hi Dirk

I work in the CCTV industry and have come across some equipment that will do exactly what you described and its not to expensive or hard to fit either.

The Scope unit is a pager system that is totaly stand alone i-e not GSM, it has a 4 mile range and basiclly you fit the transmitter in the car and interface with your alarm or even door pin switch via open/closed input on the unit. When you want to monitor your car, you just turn the pager on. Once the transmitter is activated the reasponce time is seconds. You then press a button on the pager to accept the message, that then sends a signal back to the transmitter which operates a relay that you could wire into the fuel pump etc. it costs about £180

A cheaper unit is a Scantronic radio switch. This is a handheld transmitter and a receiver. If you fortunate to be there as such incident happens you press the button on the handheld transmitter that in turn operates the relay on the receiver which again you can wire to cut the fuel pump. This is about £120

Gardnier Security wholesalers stock & supply such equipment i haven't got there number to hand but if you need it hit me back and i'll try to source it for you.

Hope this help. Ian

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
You've got it all wrong, what you actually want to do is leave little bags of flour on the drivers seat with expensive numbers written on the side, they wont touch you :D

You may attrct some unwanted attention for the police though...

Rob

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts