GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Question time! A few weeks ago I was merrily driving along when all of a sudden, mid corner and off boost, the engine cut out. Attempted to restart the car, but it wouldn't have it, even jumping it off another car.

The situation:

• The engine turns over on the starter motor and nothing is obviously mechanically knackered.
  • Connections on the CAS and the ignition amp have been checked.
  • A new coilpack loom has been put in.
  • A different ignition amp has been tried.
  • I have not yet used a timing gun to check whether there's a definite spark
  • Fuel pump is making priming noise when ignition is turned on but I haven't yet checked fuel pressure.
  • Nissan Datascan shows an RPM reading when engine being turned over, and injectors can be heard clicking which I believe rules the CAS out as being the fault.
  • There is definitely fuel in the tank, over half a tank full.
  • After a certain amount of time attempting to start the car, you can smell fuel emanating from the exhaust.

I believe it's lack of a spark, but that's just a guess, and I really need to get a timing gun on there but does anything immediately come to mind to people?

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't checked for a spark in any way yet due to it having rained for the last 40 days and 40 nights ;)

·
Vendor
12,625 Posts
If you get stuck we can get it recovered to our workshop?

Kindest regards

·
Registered
444 Posts
Check on the plug that goes on the fuel system ontop of the tank. Mine came loose as the rubber inside was causing a issue. I had exactly the same issue as you

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Car's in Guernsey Dave so I hope your recovery truck floats ;) Thanks for offer though.

r32r33r34r35, I'll check that out. Is that the fuel pump connection you're talking about?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yes the fuel pump plug which is normally in the boot under the carpet in a r32 gtr not too sure about other models

·
Vendor
12,625 Posts
hahaaa we don't have a recovery ferry im afraid LOL!

Car's in Guernsey Dave so I hope your recovery truck floats ;) Thanks for offer though.

r32r33r34r35, I'll check that out. Is that the fuel pump connection you're talking about?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Faulty AFM will not cause your car not to start at all anymore. It makes it run like a pig and depending on ECU set the car in limp mode limiting the rpm to 2000
but it will start. Also it would normally not cause the car/engine to cut off in such a harsh way while driving/running.

Basically it's always the same things to check as you need fuel, spark and air. Air shouldn't be an issue so you're at fuel and spark.

So double checking following certainly isn't a bad idea.

Fuel pump
Fuel pump control module (if used at all)
Fuel lines
Fuel filter
Fuel pressure regulator
Injectors
CAS
Ignition amplifier (if available)
Coilpacks
Spark plugs
ECU
Wiring in general (saying fuel related and ignition related)

Also check your compression while having coilpacks and spark plugs off/out as obviously if there is something seriously wrong with the engine itself it won't run right or at all either.

Good luck with sorting this out mate!

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
AFM caused my car to cut out totally and would not start several times had to have it towed.Once re-soldered it was OK.
My R32 used to cut out randomly whilst driving too!! The first couple of times it was rather disconcerting...could always bump it when it was still moving but if the car had to physically stop then sometimes it could be a pig to start using key.

Changed AFM's and problem disappeared!!!

TT

·
Registered
242 Posts
On my r33 gtr, it cut out once and lost it spark then was ok then happened again 2 months later, no spark permanently , down by the engine ecu is two blue relays one of mine had poor connections and had been arcing on the contacts hence no power to coil loom or sparks, cleaned them ( relay not designed to be stripped so cut open ;-) ) and all ok, then ordered two new ones from nissan £85 ;-) , all sorted car driving better than ever. Buys that's just my experience with my gtr.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
If you've got an rpm reading then the cas is working and turning fine. You can here the pile pump, and injectors and you can smell fuel. You've also checked and swapped the amp. The only thing I would say from that is check the main live feed into the amp. I've not had a look on the diagram but there's usually a relay feeding ignition. I'd be looking for that.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts