GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just how long does it take to ship a car from Asia to the UK? Cost?

and on a side note, how far is TR Racing from Oxford University?

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
if i remember right then TR racing is in harlow?

Its somewhere around there anyway.

This will take about 1.30hrs from oxford. Maybe 90 miles away.

dont know the other answer

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Depends whether you get a fast ship (4wks) or a slow one with stopovers (6wks). Search around and you can get a much cheaper ship than the 1,500 GBP quoted above.

Go down the M40 and hit the M25 ring road. Head NE around the M25 and it will take you very close to Harlow. Up the M11 a tad.
Couldn't be easier.

Map of Harlow, Essex[City/Town/Village]&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,193 Posts
Is that for a 20 foot container?
No idea I'm afraid. I did have the details posted up on another forum with costs and whatnot - sort of an importers guide from a punter's perspective - but the thread was removed sometime ago.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Toby, it might be cheaper to buy a car when you get here, then sell it before you go back home. Also, there will be customs clearance charges, and if you stay here over a certain amount of time, then maybe you have to register your car here instead of using it as a temporary import. If that is the case, then you'll have to pay import duty and VAT, I reckon. Then deregister it and pay to ship it home. I've no idea how much of that is fact, but this country wants its pound of flesh and WILL bend you over!!

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
My R32 took about 5-6 weeks to arrive on the boat from Japan.

20% import duty and then VAT charges (if my memory serves me right).

Then you're going to need to register, tax, mot and insure it.

My advise would be speak to the likes of Andy Barnes, Ben Linney or Miguel and see if they can help you out.

As others have said, TR Racing is in Harlow, Essex. Depending on traffic it'll probably take you 1-2 hours from Oxford at the most I would have thought.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts