GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
Need some advice.... I have been putting my gear box in Race Mode and when I am giving it proper beans... (well showing off to some friends mainly....) the gear box is reverting back to the standard setting on its own!? Any thoughts?
I have been running COBB stage 2 99 for about 3 days now but everything else seems normal. Does the gear box turn off race mode to protect itself if you let the revs get too high? I only ask as it seems to be when I am doing short 2nd and 3rd gear point and shoot!
Any thoughts greatly appreciated.....
Jase

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
are you putting the g/box into R then using the paddles to change up....

i found the R light goes out once you paddle shift...

R mode is for auto only im told. (stands to be corrected)

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Hi Guys,
Need some advice.... I have been putting my gear box in Race Mode and when I am giving it proper beans... (well showing off to some friends mainly....) the gear box is reverting back to the standard setting on its own!? Any thoughts?
I have been running COBB stage 2 99 for about 3 days now but everything else seems normal. Does the gear box turn off race mode to protect itself if you let the revs get too high? I only ask as it seems to be when I am doing short 2nd and 3rd gear point and shoot!
Any thoughts greatly appreciated.....
Jase
Same happens on mine? Not sure why? It does it turns itself off in both when in auto & manual mode, I think it happens when you switch from one to the other.
Mine is booked in for it's optimisation service this Friday, I will ask the question then.

Dave.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys........ I noticed it does it when you change from auto to manual......... however I am sure it should stay in R mode if you stay in one or the other..... certainly when i was on race academy I drove in manual R mode for 20 mins giving the car everything round Silverstone without any issues... doesn't seem to make sense!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
If you switch into Manual from Auto it turns off the R mode. It can be turned straight back on again though.

It's a bit annoying, but once you realise it does it, just switch into manual with the paddles before setting the R buttons.......

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
When the R light goes out, it means you're driving like a girl...... :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahh I see I clearly need to be driving harder..... thanks Charlie!!! Understood Guy but mine has turned off once I have already switched to manual and then stayed in manual.... really annoying and don't understand!

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Had car at Silverstone on Sunday with Guy and Kurgen and had mine in R R R...however the gearbox would turn itself off R when I was out on track giving it the full beans...have told Westover and they are scratching their heads as car is not showing any faults relating to the gearbox

·
Registered
300 Posts
It is in the manual i think.

In case of overheating or with any trouble by the tcm software ...it goes off R mode.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right Chaps after lengthy discussions with head technician at Westover HPC this is what I have been told:
'Apparently all GTRs will do this in manual or auto if you are running with Race mode and the car thinks you are driving too slowly! Apparently all their demos have done it aswell! (I think Charles Charlie comment earlier about driving like a girl is starting to ring true!). However, he then goes onto tell me that it sometime happens even if your on track and giving it everything which would back up Henry 145 on his issues at Silverstone! (Unless of course Henry youv'e been driving like a girl on a track day which is punishable with 30 lashings)
Now I have lodged a complaint with Nissan UK to get them to explain to me why they have fitted a gear box R button but apparently the car can decide when it wants to run on R or not without consulting the driver? The HPC are handling this on my behalf and I will keep you updated.
I am hoping this could be a software issue they can sort if enough of us let our feelings known? Thoughts on a postcard please?
Jase

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cary B if you can drive your car aggressively in Race mode and film the dashboard at the same time I am very impressed!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you turn on R mode while in auto then use the paddles it reverts back to normal

Moreover, if you turn on the R mode while in manual then move the gear stick to change to auto it reverts back to normal

I always turn on R mode while in manual and use the gear stick to revert to auto and manual at the same time

It never turns itself off if i am driving slowly

·
Registered
535 Posts
first thing i do when getting in the car is put in manual mode, then switch gearbox and traction control to R, neither has ever turned off on its own no matter how i drive, all seems very strange!

·
Registered
794 Posts
The first time I tried switching the transmission to R-mode was on a quiet, twisty country road. At the end of the road, once I'd settled back into more leisurely driving I glanced down and saw that the transmission was back in Normal mode. Like the OP, I was very concerned about this, so I slowed down and accelerated back up to the speed limit, cruised along normally for a few minutes and then glanced down again. It was back at Normal. :mad: I reached the conclusion that it must switch back to Normal if you aren't pushing the car.

However, a few weeks later I realised that my driving style is to pootle about in Auto mode on uninteresting roads, switch to manual for the twisties and then immediately change back to auto when on the straights again. As others have said, it is the act of shifting between auto and manual (either by pulling the paddle when in auto, or using the gear stick) that causes R-mode to disengage. As an experiment, yesterday I switched to R-mode at the start of a 75 mile/90 minute journey that included every conceivable type of road surface, speed limit and traffic condition. I left the car in auto all the way, and it happily stayed in R-mode. Jason, I reckon that information you've been given by Westover about "driving too slowly" is utter nonsense. However, you seem certain that you didn't switch modes, so there may be some truth to the overheating angle.

I know that when I want to do an acceleration demonstration, I select manual R-mode, blast through the gears with the paddles and, when I reach my desired speed, I flick to auto because that's the easiest way to get the car to jump from (usually) 3rd gear to 6th for cruising. I now understand why this disengages R-mode.

The question is, why does the car deselect R-mode when changing between auto and manual?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts