GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I'm brand new to this forum and new to the world of skylines, so let me start off by introducing myself, my name is Michael and I'm actually located in the US, but knew this would be one of the best places to come for information regarding skylines. I recently purchased my dream car, a BNR32 and it was great for the first week and then everything started to happen. I only received the car a month ago from Japan, had one problem, fixed it (I think) and now, I'm running into completely different problem. Before, I start, let me tell you my knowledge on skylines, while expanding, is very limited and the people in my area who work on skylines is even more limited than my knowledge of them. Anyway, here is goes.

I had a problem with my alarm system because schematically, it's was a mess and was causing a mess of electrical issues. I recently ripped out the alarm, cleaned up the wiring somewhat, found about 5 splices to the ignition source, but am still in the process of putting the car back together slowly to ensure nothing goes wrong before it's all put back together. A few days ago we got the car stated and it shut off when I turned the key off. Now, with only attaching a few things back into their places the electrical system is completely puzzling me.

I have the battery rerouted to the trunk, and the fuel pump power source is directly coming from the battery. When I put the negative terminal on the battery, with the key not even on the ignition, the fuel pump starts to prime, the entire electrical system for the car starts up, and then car acts as if it's in the position before full ignition. I crank on the motor and the battery goes dead. btw, it's an optima yellow top, not sure if it makes a difference. I put a starter unit to the battery, the fuel pump begins to prime again, all electrical comes on, and the car cranks over. I go to shut the car, the car remains on even with the key completely out. I unplugged the negative terminal from the battery, car remains on. I pulled the fuse in the motor for the ignition, car still stays on. I luckily removed the coilpack section of the valve cover the other day and had access to the coilpack harness. I pull the harness apart and only then does the car shut off.

I read that someone said it's the fuel pump relay, but because I can necessarily check it with the battery unplugged because I only have a volt meter that check for continuity with the car is running power, I'm not sure if it's that. I don't have a turbo timer and only have am Apexi power FC, greddy boost controller, and I'm honestly not sure what else the car even has.

If anybody could help me with this or at least tell me where to start, I would greatly appreciate it. I have downloaded the skyline manual from the internet, but other than that, I'm looking around without a solid idea what may have caused this.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Firstly congratulations on your purchase.

Yes these cars can be a nightmare to solve.

Regarding your electrical issues, I would most probably go back to the basics and start from there.

Remove all additional components firstly and check all your loom(remove Dash, interior/carpets front and boot to find any other splices or anything unusual.

You'll only know then what your up against and will understand it better

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Firstly congratulations on your purchase.

Yes these cars can be a nightmare to solve.

Regarding your electrical issues, I would most probably go back to the basics and start from there.

Remove all additional components firstly and check all your loom(remove Dash, interior/carpets front and boot to find any other splices or anything unusual.

You'll only know then what your up against and will understand it better
Umar,
Thanks and thanks for the quick reply, I have been looking into it and did all that when I removed the nightmare of the alarm system that was in there, but I'm not sure what else it could be. I'll definitely keep checking this issue out and hopefully, I'll be able to solve the problem. If anybody else had something similar happen, please chime in. Thanks again Buddy!

·
Registered
347 Posts
it sounds like faulty ECCS relay.

Can you check it first please before going in to deep inspection. I will try to help you out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
it sounds like faulty ECCS relay.

Can you check it first please before going in to deep inspection. I will try to help you out.

Spawn,
Is this the blue relay under the drivers seat next to the fuse panel? Also, how would I determine if it were faulty? I don't mean to ask an elementary question, but I'm just unaware.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys,
So I'm embarrassed to say this and while it's the previous owners fault, I overlooked this. It was wrapped in electrical tape and loom and looked stock, but it's all good now. The 5 ignition wires were all messed up due to the alarm and I've separated everything and sealed it up individually and now it all works.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Happy for you mate, you shouldn't be embarrassed. This things happen a lot when working on electrical stuff.

Safe miles...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts