GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where is the best place to find oem style carbon body panels for the r32 gtr iv looked online but it seems most company's solely focus on the r35 now

i am looking for
bonnet
wings
boot

also is there anywhere cheaper than rhdjapn site to find the tommy kiarra grille i converted the price it came out at £300+ and the abflung front and rear diffuser

·
Registered
439 Posts
just out of curiosity, why would You like to change Your wings to carbon?
Try dismounting them and You'll see that those are more than just lightweight! Hell, You even have to take care not to break them with Your bare hands! :)

Cheers

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
I agree and nothing looks worse than a car with a non painted carbon bonnet and carbon boot lid. Leave that to the chavs!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well im by no means a chav thank you very much and i rather like the look of carbon unless its on a lighter coloured or brightly coloured car

yes i do know the wings are very light but i would like carbon because i like the look of it

if i could find the bits (and afford it) id have as much of the bodywork carbon as possible

·
Registered
25,669 Posts
Nismo do full carbon panels for the 34, but they are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay expensive plus really should paint them :)

·
Registered
25,669 Posts
i know he is,

no one does full carbon off the shelf panels tho for a 32.

they are made in JP but not made available. alot is bespoke.

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
Apart from the cosmetic side there is no real benefit to be had. On the boot lid you will see few kgs on the boot lid which is steel. If you get everything made in dry carbon such as bonnet, doors, bumpers, etc you will save a fair bit of weight ideally you would get it painted. The cost would be massive.

·
Registered
25,669 Posts
Apart from the cosmetic side there is no real benefit to be had. On the boot lid you will see few kgs on the boot lid which is steel. If you get everything made in dry carbon such as bonnet, doors, bumpers, etc you will save a fair bit of weight ideally you would get it painted. The cost would be massive.
which is why the z tune parts are part of the solution in dry carbon

:)

just placing a normal carbon bonnet on wont save much so id always stick with oem if it was my car, as you may as well eat a toastie and balance out the weight difference:chuckle:

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
which is why the z tune parts are part of the solution in dry carbon

:)

just placing a normal carbon bonnet on wont save much so id always stick with oem if it was my car, as you may as well eat a toastie and balance out the weight difference:chuckle:
I know, there is no point with wet lay carbon, apart from cosmetics (if people actually like bare carbon panels) it serves no real purpose when the rest of the car may still not be optimised for weight savings which is most often the case and when the driver is some 16 -18 stones what is the point anyway? :chuckle:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I've just had this discussion with someone else, so thought I would paste it here for interest.

Carbon is a funny subject. This word 'dry carbon' is generally used to describe parts made from pre preg carbon such as those found in top level Motorsport and aerospace. Although manufacturers of such items would never use the term 'dry' as it simply does not exist. Prepreg still has a resin in it, it is just pre impregnated and uses a hardner with a huge out life, only cured by extreme heat.

Carbon and it's resin(epoxy) does not fair very we'll in sunlight, and the resin starts to degrade and turn yellow. Not a problem in Motorsport, as it generally gets painted, damaged or replaced.

But for the customer buying carbon for cosmetic reasons, a clear uv stable gel coat or clear coat is applied to protect it. This gives the gloss look we are so accustomed to. And hence the term 'wet'.

Or so we think.... Carbon can be wet laid like you would fiberglass, but should be used with an epoxy resin. This could also define the terms wet and dry, as prepreg would appear laid up using no additional resin. However a quality wet lay can also be vacuum bagged and cured in much the same way as a pre preg part.

Further to this, cosmetic parts are generally made with one surface layer of carbon and then backed up with layers of fiberglass as it is much cheaper, as are many of the resins they use.
This not only makes the part heavier, but severely limits it's strength.

Pre preg is the ultimate material but due to cost and processing methods (sophisticated hi temp moulds and upward of 10hrs in a pressure sealed oven at over 100c just to cure) means that many aftermarket parts will simply not be made from this even if they insist on it being dry carbon.

In my eyes it doesn't really present that much of an advantage over a well produced vacuum bagged/ compression moulded item when you consider the vast cost difference.
Pre preg is much easier and less messy to use, time is not a problem as the resin is only activated once it reaches a certain temp. And it is easier to cut and lay.
However,Vacuum or compression methods both remove any excess resin and compress the laminate and so long as quality resin and solely carbon are used in the laminate then the differences are small. Although, Granted large enough for top scale teams to warrant its use.

One last note to bear in mind is that some suppliers advertise their items as dry carbon but are I fact exactly the same cheap gel coated glossy fiberglassed item, yet with the surface scuffed up to look dull.

My interpretation of 'dry' carbon would be something made from either prepreg or other vacuum/pressure processed method and using no extra clearcoats/gelcoats so as to not add unnecessary weight.

Sorry if it didn't make sense at times, I had to copy and paste some paragraphs out relating to the rest of my conversation,which was a bit hard to do on an iPad with big thumbs!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
i like my carbon bonnet on my 32, my car is oem gunmetal as its hard in some lights to see that it is a diff colour. Its heavier than a stock bonnet for sure,

·
Registered
8,546 Posts
There are stacks of places in the UK that could easily whip you up replacement panels in top quality carbon (using whichever method you specify)...

Some would have you believe that carbon panel manufacturing for Skylines begins and ends in Japan...total nonsense!!

TT

1 - 15 of 15 Posts