GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well pretty straight forward one I hope.

Just want to know, advantages, disadvantages (other than cost), what sorta power can you expect them to handle etc.

I know Shin has one on his car, I assume there's 2 advantages to the loss of the weight of the shaft itself as well as the rotating mass, anything else ???

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
do you have any pics of teh shaft ?

I guess if you wanna look at disadvantages of CF is you cant get it fixed, costs more to replace (if damaged).

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
What I know:

They're lighter than the standard thing. Better response, aids a laggy turbo'd car.
They're not as durable as standard one, the whole thing takes the slack, as opposed to just a joint.

Not good for drag racing, but great for circuit.

Dirk's the best person to ask.

Cem

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not interested in drag racing anyhow, it's purely for street and the odd circuit day.

I had suspected that less weight in general combined with the less rotating weight would help with response so I put that as the biggest advantages as I couldn't think of anything else, however telling everyone I have a carbon shaft does make me smile !! :D

Disadvantages other than cost I saw as possible weakness in such a piece of kit, but as you say Cem, if I'm not doing drag stuff there's no reason why it shouldn't last right ?

Dirk / Shin any comments guys ?

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Also, I understand that in the normal propshaft, the joint takes a lot of the stress, but because of the one piece structure of the carbon piece, it transfers all the stress onto the transmission.

I would probably treat it as a part that would last, but I'd be worried about the next part of the transmission train....

Cem

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
carbon fibre propshaft

The most famous one is the one that was used for BNR32 Gr.A race cars, and it used to be available through Mine's(BCNR33/BNR34) or Nismo(400R).
The weight is 7.6kgs and it is about a half of standard propshaft (14.6kgs).
The advantage is less weight (0.52:1.00)and less inertia(0.57:1.00).
Less inertia affects both acceleration response and braking response because less weight things can start rolling and stop rolling easier.

About damage to the gearbox, the carbon fibre propshaft has enough twist capacity and strength.
Most of people think carbon fibre tube never be twisted, but actually it twist a little bit when the power comes from the other end.
So I don't think there is disadvantage on damaging gear box.

About life time of the propshaft, I can say it is the same life time between standard propshaft and carbon fibre propshaft.
It is just because the life time depends on durability of the joints but not durability of the tube.
Joints life time is shorter than steel tube or carbon fibre tube.

I hope it helps.

Regards,
Shin

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
If it makes you feel any better regarding the strength of the carbon shaft, the Veilside drag car that raced in the US about 6 months back has one - that car puts out over 1,200hp. Having said that, the car only weighs in at about the tonne mark!

Just get one for the coolness factor! :cool: :D

Cya O!

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Prop Shaft

I have had a carbon prop on my car for over a year now, they make a nociteable difference all round. What Shin says is obviously all correct but where I find it best is between gearchanges. I find the rpms dont drop off as fast and do not take as long to pick up due to the rotating mass being less I guess. Absolutely fab bit of kit although a tad expensive for something you dont get to see I suppose. I have the Mines one on my R34 and its coped really well with everything I have chucked at it and considering it was made for 600ps I think was mentioned at the time, it hasnt done bad although I expect to break it in half very soon:D

One thing though is the transmission as Cem pointed out. I dont think the gearbox is as much of an issue as the rear diff. On the standard prop you have a flexible joint 2/3rds up the prop which takes some of the abuse out prior to giving it to the rear diff but the carbon one is just a fixed pipe with no such joint and therefore the power is thrown from the gearbox down the prop and given straight to the rear diff to sort out. Hence I wore out my diff in about November time last year and have been struggling on since. I dont think it would have gone so quickly if it werent for the drag launches I suppose. One other thing is the power figures for the car. You could assume that the power at the wheels would be increased as the losses would be less;)

The verdict : if you have the spare dosh, buy one, really great bit of kit.

Ps. As well as Shin ( Prospec ) we supply them, £ 2200+vat and the ones we sell are rated to 1000ps. ( I will have one as soon as my 600ps one breaks:D )

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
WHO WANT'S ONE

I have been talking to the guy that makes these carbon shafts for some of the companies in Japan
he told me that the carbon shaft for the skyline will take up to 2000 lbs of torque:eek:
so there is no way a GTR will break one.
he also told me that the carbon shaft has less chance of breaking transmission because
the shaft will twist and take away a lot of strain from the rear end when launching the car.
he also said because it is lighter it will help my 60ft times. :D :D :D :p

I will be putting in a order for one very soon the cost will be £1100 here
if anyone wants a carbon shaft please get back in touch with me ASAP

[email protected]

Keith :smokin:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Perra said:
Here´s a company that makes propshafts and some additional info:

http://www.acpt.com/driveshaft/driveshafts.html

/P
I'll have to have a look over my old e-mail, but I'm sure it's these guys that quoted me $ 1500 USD to make me a carbon propshaft if I supplied the Universal joints at each end or the original shaft as a whole for them to use.

Thought that was a bargain with the exchange rate being so good.

·
Registered
88 Posts
there is a uk company starting to make these. they told me they would be ready in the next 4-8weeks (which usually means 8!)

the sales guys wernt in today but the manufacturing guy i spoke to guessed at around £1000.

Drew

·
Registered
176 Posts
Re: WHO WANT'S ONE

keith said:
I have been talking to the guy that makes these carbon shafts for some of the companies in Japan
he told me that the carbon shaft for the skyline will take up to 2000 lbs of torque:eek:
so there is no way a GTR will break one.
he also told me that the carbon shaft has less chance of breaking transmission because
the shaft will twist and take away a lot of strain from the rear end when launching the car.
he also said because it is lighter it will help my 60ft times. :D :D :D :p

I will be putting in a order for one very soon the cost will be £1100 here
if anyone wants a carbon shaft please get back in touch with me ASAP

[email protected]

Keith :smokin:

We have broken 3 CFRP prop shafts... 2 were from ACPT.

Mario.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Re: Re: WHO WANT'S ONE

MarioGTR said:
We have broken 3 CFRP prop shafts... 2 were from ACPT.

Mario.
Mario do you still run a carbon shaft or did you go back to a normal one after breaking 3 ?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts