GTR Forum banner

Carbon Fibre

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  zuoteng 
#1 ·
Firstly: This is a genuine question. Not intended to poke fun at anyone. Or put down anyone. I'm very much an each to their own type person (even if i do like a bit of banter/debate)

Being new to the GTR world, I'm not up on the merit of carbon fibre except that it's lighter and looks good (in some/most applications)

But i see the costs and i think is it really worth the weight savings? And in some cases it's stuck on top of what is already there so there is no weight savings.

So genuinely and with no intention for malice etc. (in the same way i asked about understeer) why would you be putting carbon fibre on your gtr?

The way i see it is, i could spend the money on engine/exhaust mods, detailing etc to improve the cars performance/looks. But i don't see where Carbon Fibre fits in - but happy to receive an education as always :D

#7 ·
most people know that carbon weight reduction is so little in percentage that they just do it last and follow other methods of weight reduction first, and even then, they are just trying to get every ounce down in weight.

secound its for looks.

Thirdly if you want to gain more downforce you will need a better lip and wing, and yes the R35 needs it... well, it doesnt require it, but you will find by talking to people who race... that the parts doo work (depending on the parts).

There's not to say you cant get FRP or other materials. carbon fiber just looks nice and its strong. poly is light weight and cheap, stillen has a poly lip you can just put over the stock lip. its light weight but adds some downforce. some lips look way to agressive, but its very functional in most cases.

There are differnt qualities in carbon, so if your going for looks you want the best. if your going for the carbon look but your audiance only see's carbon and not quality there are brands for that too. alot of stuff that comes out of hong kong/china are pretty bad. overall fittment issues, quality issues, basically your gambling. alot of magazines sell these things, like seibon and etc. Japan has alot of manufactures that do really great cf work like mooncraft - who makes MINES carbonf.

passwordJDM is the only one who doesnt make a tax for the parts they make. in fact the owner probably doesnt profit at all on any of there parts, they put alot of quality and testing behind there work too and its all at reasonable prices for carbon fiber. The same line that the R35 parts are made on the lambo line that they make carbon parts for (under the technocraft name iirc). The owner has a mostly carbon lambo that is sick! anyways my point is they take baseball bats to the parts and drop them from tall buildings, they tested the bumper by attaching it and hitting curbs for the life of the part... this shows they are very durable and no what to expect.

some carbon parts might be made wet or dry, be carefull because there is a differnce. dry carbon is the lightweight peice while wet is not.

#9 ·
I've replaced the central silver console around the gearstick/handbrake as it scratches so flippin' easily.

Every piece of silvered plastic is a nightmare as theyre so easily marked. I'd replace the whole lot with just about anything, it's just that CF is the only available replacement at the moment.

#13 ·
We sell some beautiful panels from RSW, they are reasonably priced as well. Pretty much everyone comments on how much better they look than the factory pieces, which is why we sell so many sets of them. They look much nicer than the bland factory pieces.

Check here for some more info and pricing on our carbon pieces:
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/121134-r35-gt-r-carbon-interior-pieces-pictures-prices.html

Some quick pics as well:

#14 ·
when a car is as well made as the r35 GT-R and porsche GT2 etc the thing to consider is that ANY reduction of weight that can be done will help improve it.

on ANY car if u reduce the weight of it, then brakeing will improve as will handling (especially if it is unsprung weight that is removed)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.