GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Further to me looking for a rear diffuser for my R34 which I finally bought last week, I have decided to let my Kevlar man have a go at it before I fit it. A whole new Carbon diffuser which is an exact copy ( well almost - need to be careful of copyright ) will be £1400 + vat. ( ORIGINAL FROM NISSAN £ 5400 !!!!

So what I hear you say, well, after giving the original diffuser to my mould man, he confirmed that it may be made of one of the most heaviest forms of carbon which also appears to also be a fibreglass mix!, it weighs about 15-20 lbs and the new carbon copy using full PROPER carbon will be 4 lbs !

With this, the bottom fins on the diffuser will also be made using a kevlar sandwich mix, outside edges being carbon ( black ) and with a Gold kevlar centre, thus creating a gold line running through the centre and almost defo being extended to make larger , ie handing down from the car further.

I am also experimenting with making the front diffuser, front bumpers and Nismo style side skirts and bumper skirts from gold kevlar. As you all will know, the plastic front diffuser that all Vspec 34's have rub out very easily on kerbs etc especially when lowered, but the kevlar wont, it will rub the tarmac out first!

Im getting the bits made for my car, but if anyone wants a peice of the action, let me know.

I am sure everyone will want to see how they come out first before putting any firm commitments down, which is fine, but it would be nice to know if anyone else would also like to upgrade as I could have more made at the same time, it may end up a little cheaper that way.

In any event, I am paying for the moulds to be made which is the biggest one off cost.

The kevlar look niiiiiiiiiice.

Also thinking about some Kevlar pants, non rip you see!

Dirk Diggler

·
Following EJH#25
6,841 Posts
Are the parts that you intend to produce purely for the R34 or do you have the R33 in mind as well?

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
r33

I could get R33 bits made as well, what do you want?, I can borrow 400R moulds if you want something made 400R style or can make any other parts you want but you will have to pay for the moulds to be made.

I am sorting out the R34 bits as that is what I have, I am not a dealer, just a Skyline owner. Just want to sort these bits out for my own car.

Dirk.

·
Following EJH#25
6,841 Posts
Which moulds for the 400R do you have access to, and what kind of price range are the bits likely to be in?

Cheers,
Matt.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
400r

front bumper, rear bumper and side skirts, no bonnet unfortunately.

My friend normally makes them from fibreglass which is obviously cheaper but I am sure he could get something together with my carbon man.

forward your email address by PM to me and I will find our more regarding the R33 bits this week when back at work.

Dirk.

·
Following EJH#25
6,841 Posts
Your PM account is full, can't contact you until you delete some of your messages. My e-mail address is in my profile.

Cheers,
Matt.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fins

OK DCD, when I have them made I will post a copy up, I will lower the fins by about 20-40mm all depending on keeping a good ground clearance level, going to try a few different sizes to see what is best, but more outragious the better i think:D

The reality of the parts is about 4 weeks away, but defo going ahead.

I think my first ones will be full Kevlar in gold, have to see if it looks tacky or not.

Prices to follow, not looking for profit, just to get mine made for free will be good.

Will keep you advised.

B wishes;

Dirk.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Dino,

What do you mean by R34 Nismo-style diffuser fins? Do you mean Nismo make a different rear diffuser fins that replace the stock Nissan fins?

Dirk,

I am interested in the factory front spoiler of the R34 GTR make in carbon fiber, please let us know the price and post a picture.

Thanks!

Jeff

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Carbon parts

After posting the info, Mark @ abbey was kind enough to call and confirm that he has already made a rear diffuser mould for carbon and will be completed soon, so for the time being the whole diff main part is on ice and we will see what his comes out like, I am however going ahead with the kevlar fins anyway in the interim as its pointless making a mould if Marks is OK but still want to pursue the kevlar fins. As for the other bits, ie front diffuser, side skirts etc, I shall still make these from kevlar and as soon as completed I shall post on forum soonest.

Due to track days and commitments I would now expect parts to not be ready for a few weeks but watch this space.

I may still go ahead with the rear diffuser and make it out of gold kevlar in its entirity for the sake of strength and excellent looks but if so will only make 6 of them at about 1400gbp ish.

If anyone out there wants a 1 of 6 ever made Kevlar diffuser then PM me and I will go ahead regardless of Marks plan of Carbon and have a bit of individuality. At least that way there will not be 100 people all with the same looking bits.6 is the minimum which can be made at that cost to also cover the mould which will be broken up afterwards.

Ps. Kevlar is much stronger than Carbon so you will have to really try hard to break it so in effect it should outlast the car within reason.

Dirk.:)

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Just found an altrnative to the Nismo carbon fins. Hasemi sports makes the below set for a more reasonable 42,000 Yen. Still expensive...but more down to earth than Nismo. Still waiting on what you can come up with:)

BTW...is anyone also thinking of making a Nismo-style carbon rear spoiler? This is even more of a rip off at 110,000 Yen:eek:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Dino,

I always wonder about that Nismo rear spoiler flap, is it different shape then the factory one? Or it is the same shape, but just made out of CF?

Thanks!

Jeff

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kevlar bits

DCD, further to my last post regarding Mark's mould being made, I have changed my mind again and am now having a full Kevlar rear diffuser made including the extended fins.

The first ( and maybe only ) diffus. will be made and ready in two weeks time in gold Kevlar.

The mould we are making can produce about 10 only in total, if anyone else wants one then I will get more made, if not, my car will be the only one with a Kevlar tray.

I will post pictures as soon as I have them, I am expecting good things.

Will post it soonest, be patient my friend.

Dirk:)

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Dirk....please do post pix when its done!

Jeff....the Nismo ones are longer than the standard ones and made out of CF. I can't find any pictures of them though:(

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Dino......I just look up the Nismo rear spoiler in the Nismo catalogue, it does indeed look longer, it looks like it extend out of the side post........but as you said, they are 110,000 Yen :(

WHY DO THESE STUFF COST SO MUCH!!! It is not a Ferrari for god sake :confused:

Jeff

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Jeff...sorry I didn't read your post right. I was reffering to the diffuser fins....:rolleyes:

I have a pic of the Nismo rear carbon spoiler....Its bloody expensive but I really want one.....Carbon fetish you see:D

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts