GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, had this done last week, as always with the GTR - the picture never does it justice and it looks so much better in the flesh!!!! cheers

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
I'm kinda digging that.

Had thoughts myself on wrapping and tinting.

I think I'll stick to the tint for now....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Now thats very tastefully done, but I see you got great taste with the duke in the background!! :clap:

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Sticky-backed plastic "carbon" roof?

Can I interest you in some caliper covers or perhaps an Evo bonnet vent?

Philip

·
Registered
634 Posts
Love it but one question - How dark is it inside especially at night.

Kp

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
Well ... I LIKE IT :thumbsup:

Nice :clap:

·
Registered
485 Posts
I Really like that alot, Def looks to be a good quality finish on the carbon effect covering... Nice work...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Yip very tastefully done and looks the business................

Brings back memories of my M3 CSL with its Carbon roof.

Also digging the bike being a fellow Ducati man.

Very interested in details of who carried out the work if you are happy to post them.

Regards

ScottyB

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi Guys many thanks for kind comments.

Benji - thanks, but not at the moment, next mod will be a Carbon rear spoiler, a real one not a sticky back plastic one!

ANDY400R - Got the big rear and the 2 small side windows done very dark, the 2 drop glasses done in road legal smoke - but it looks all dark now because of the small glass area. The application is perfect, they made a great job. I have a share in a garage which helps with the running costs, we regularly do window tints & full wraps on all sorts (particularly the Gumball Cars to hide their identity) <http://www.joemacariservice.com/aboutus.html> Call Andy Gill our service manager he will be happy to help with a quote etc.

Philip - sounds good, do you have calliper covers (what ever they are?) that will fit over my gorgeous, enormous shinny gold Brembos!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

kpkpkp - Is that a trick question? from the inside its the same as any other car, because there is no tint on the window so all the natural light just floods in. But from the outside looking in, it looks much darker - refractive properties etc I guess? Same applies in day light but to a lesser degree.

ScottyB - many thanks, I had a CSL a while back! that was the inspiration for doing this to the GTR. GTR & Ducati heaven! Cant wait to take the GTR back up to Scotland and let rip on those great roads, your a lucky man having that on your door step.

cheers Cracker

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kpkpkp - Is that a trick question? from the inside its the same as any other car, because there is no tint on the window so all the natural light just floods in. But from the outside looking in, it looks much darker - refractive properties etc I guess? Same applies in day light but to a lesser degree.
when i say window i mean the front windscreen

·
Registered
565 Posts
hi Guys many thanks for kind comments.

Benji - thanks, but not at the moment, next mod will be a Carbon rear spoiler, a real one not a sticky back plastic one!

ANDY400R - Got the big rear and the 2 small side windows done very dark, the 2 drop glasses done in road legal smoke - but it looks all dark now because of the small glass area. The application is perfect, they made a great job. I have a share in a garage which helps with the running costs, we regularly do window tints & full wraps on all sorts (particularly the Gumball Cars to hide their identity) <http://www.joemacariservice.com/aboutus.html> Call Andy Gill our service manager he will be happy to help with a quote etc.

Philip - sounds good, do you have calliper covers (what ever they are?) that will fit over my gorgeous, enormous shinny gold Brembos!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

ScottyB - many thanks, I had a CSL a while back! that was the inspiration for doing this to the GTR. GTR & Ducati heaven! Cant wait to take the GTR back up to Scotland and let rip on those great roads, your a lucky man having that on your door step.

cheers Cracker

Drop me a line when you are up this way i will show you a few cracking roads us locals keep to ourselves......;)

Even better during the week when there are no Police about and they are quieter..........

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
I didn't know there was still a "road legal smoke", I thought to all intents and purposes the front side glass had to be clear?

That was the case over 3 years ago when I had my Allroad done...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA) Statement

The UK Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 Act details the legality of window tinting in the UK - and as amended specifies the minimum levels of light that must pass through the windscreen and front side windows.

For a legal window tint in the UK the specifications are:
a) Motor Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1985
b) The light transmitted through the windscreen must be at least 75%.
c) The front side windows (to either side of the drivers’ head) must allow at least 70% of light to be transmitted through them.

If the glass is tinted to a point whereby it lets through less light, the vehicle is breaking UK Window tinting law.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
most people just do what they like, the police never seem to bother unless it is a full black out.

When you take it for an MOT wind your windows down - they cant make you roll them up!

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
On January 01st 2004 legislation was amended in regarding the tinting of windows on the UK roads. The law stated that you are not allowed to tint your windscreen or to my surprise typing this the front doors AT ALL! So the cutting out of tank like slits like I've seen some cars in Lewisham, Deptford, Peckham over the years is illegal! Even in the wiper arc.

Anything forward of the B pillar, or the middle of the car MUST NOT be tinted in anyway. You are however still allowed to perform any level of tinting on your back windows. The Regulation states 70% of visible light must pass through the drivers windows including any other substrate fitted to the glass. Many people misunderstand the regulation & presume that 70% allows a 30% tint - IT DOESN'T! Glass does not let in 100% of light, clear glass only allows approximately 86% of light to pass & the slight tint of standard manufactured glass varies from the 70% maximum limit up to approx 80% of light passing through. Thus any film being applied to these windows will drop the light transmissions to below the regulation limit.

If your front windows are tinted to any level you do risk being stopped by either Traffic Police or VOSA (Vehicle & Operator Services Agency). They have light meters to test the light that passes through your glass, so if you have a subtle tint fitted then you should just be asked for it to be removed. If you have dark front door windows you could be told you cant drive your car any further & face a fine & or points on your licence!

If you've tinted your windows before this date that does not mean you are safe either! If the police believe that your tint causes reduced visibility they can do as it says above.

This law brought in due to a serious accident between a motorbike & a heavily modified car with very dark tints. It was believed that the root cause of the accident was that the driver couldn't see well enough through his tinted windows.

·
Registered
680 Posts
So what is the law with respect to having no tints on the fronts but wearing sunglasses??
Surely that must be illegal........would it not put you over the threshold allowed??

·
Registered
301 Posts
You can take your sunglasses off at night. I would iimagine it has something to do with identification as well, being able to clearly see the driver when pulled over or on camera.

·
Through the Night
4,267 Posts
You can take your sunglasses off at night. I would iimagine it has something to do with identification as well, being able to clearly see the driver when pulled over or on camera.

Thats exactly what the problem is the Police need to identify the driver ,it's all for cash in their pot:(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts