GTR Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
On January 01st 2004 legislation was amended in regarding the tinting of windows on the UK roads. The law stated that you are not allowed to tint your windscreen or to my surprise typing this the front doors AT ALL! So the cutting out of tank like slits like I've seen some cars in Lewisham, Deptford, Peckham over the years is illegal! Even in the wiper arc.

Anything forward of the B pillar, or the middle of the car MUST NOT be tinted in anyway. You are however still allowed to perform any level of tinting on your back windows. The Regulation states 70% of visible light must pass through the drivers windows including any other substrate fitted to the glass. Many people misunderstand the regulation & presume that 70% allows a 30% tint - IT DOESN'T! Glass does not let in 100% of light, clear glass only allows approximately 86% of light to pass & the slight tint of standard manufactured glass varies from the 70% maximum limit up to approx 80% of light passing through. Thus any film being applied to these windows will drop the light transmissions to below the regulation limit.

If your front windows are tinted to any level you do risk being stopped by either Traffic Police or VOSA (Vehicle & Operator Services Agency). They have light meters to test the light that passes through your glass, so if you have a subtle tint fitted then you should just be asked for it to be removed. If you have dark front door windows you could be told you cant drive your car any further & face a fine & or points on your licence!

If you've tinted your windows before this date that does not mean you are safe either! If the police believe that your tint causes reduced visibility they can do as it says above.

This law brought in due to a serious accident between a motorbike & a heavily modified car with very dark tints. It was believed that the root cause of the accident was that the driver couldn't see well enough through his tinted windows.
Yup, that was what I was told by South Coast Tints in Southampton when they refused to put any visible tint on the front windows of my Allroad.

They did put a very effective solar film on the front and dark tints for all the other glass and I have to say the car has always been a lot cooler inside since then, which is the only reason to do tinted windows IMO.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had a similar window tint done on my white R35... I think it looks great. getting your GTROC sticker on the window afterwards is a nice final touch!

Cracker - where did you get the carbon wrap done? It looks really nice and with a carbon rear wing would look very special.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Is it true that the police carry light meters to check the legal darkness of tints? My Impreza was all round tinted (except front screen) from new.
Not all police carry them but yes some do.

Robbie

21 - 28 of 28 Posts