GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgot i never posted this on here :eek:

Well I have tried a few ways of covering items in carbon but so far they have all looked awful. I finally found something i thought looked good and bought some this week to try. Its a little pricey but looks very real, its the dry carbon look, its like the stuff they use in BMW's etc and has a proper weave like carbon and can be fitted inside the car or out.

Only thing with my car is thereare not many places inside, and outside because its white i couldn't find anything I though would look good. Anyway some pics before!

and after!

As you can see its a dry type carbon not the shiny wet type but i think it looks really good and it was my first attempt, got a few other people wanting some bits done soon so will post pics as i go!

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
I have to disagree with the rest, doesn't look like carbon, doesn't have a nice shine to it and I think they have tried to over emphasis the weave in the design.

Sorry to say.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
see your point Liam but its aimed to be like dry carbon hence no shine!

Got it from a guy i know that does vinyl, bit fiddly to work with but ok on small bits etc

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I have to disagree with the rest, doesn't look like carbon, doesn't have a nice shine to it and I think they have tried to over emphasis the weave in the design.

Sorry to say.
I like it, agree is doesn't look like real carbon, but it does look very similar to the "carbon" interior parts used in the M series BMW's and I think it would look great on an R33 GTR interior dash set.

Let me know if you want a set to practise on :thumbsup:

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
I believe Mr Creasy has just done his R33 dash in this.

This the 3M stuff yeah ?

There is a massive thread on the MLR about it....loads of people using it to do bits, couple of people have even had cars wrapped in it !

·
6,821 Posts
I believe Mr Creasy has just done his R33 dash in this.

This the 3M stuff yeah ?

There is a massive thread on the MLR about it....loads of people using it to do bits, couple of people have even had cars wrapped in it !
Can you post the link from the Mlr foum?

I have to say I really like the stuff and would be happy to get my hands on those carbon films, as I am looking for a interior parts covering.

Anybody can guide me where to order this carbon film online?

Thanks

Chris

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
spot on SNowfiend! Quite expensive to buy, especially if you only want small bits done but great product and worth the extra cost compared to cheap carbon vinyls

Doing a few bits for guys on the integra forum etc as they dont want the hassle or to buy a large piece for small items

·
Registered
135 Posts
Chap I know is doing very well over the last few weeks doing jobs in and outside with cars. Few pics of an evo he recently done ....

·
6,821 Posts
Yeah I've been looking at this stuff to get rid of the nasty wood finish dash trim on my Golf GTI, does seem to be getting good reviews from everyone.

Found it Chris: 3M DI-NOC Carbon vinyl wrap - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum
Thanks will read read through that tonight,

Will see to get hold of these wrappings here in japan and do it myself. :smokin:
Searched a bit the net and found a company in japan that does the wrappings:
¥¨¥¯¥¹¥¿¥¤¥ëEXTYLE X¥µ¥¤¥È

·
6,821 Posts
nope - for me it has to be real or don't bother.
Agree with you to some point, but just take a look at my dull looking OEM R34 GTT interior (which is the same as the GTR, but didn`t get the chance to have some panels in cheap silver finish . .:D ) . . . everything is grey until death, cheap and has no charm. Now if I would spend 5000$, I know I can get everything wet carbon coated or even real carbon replacements, but well that`s a bit expensive for my pocket and most peeps.

So I think this is a good alternative to bring , let`s say all dull cheap grey pre 2000 JDM interiors back to life with some decency. We all know its feak carbon, but well the silver and chrom in most premium cars is also not real metal . . . so nothing more then a new decoration for not too much money.

On the other side , how does this wrapping behave if you spray a big load of clear lacker on it??? Would be cool to see if it looks better, more shiny like wet carbon . . .or complete crap.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts