GTR Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
we did some of the interior parts on my 33 in actual carbon - but "wrapped" rather than make a mould and a new part. Works perfectly, if a little tricky on small parts, and you can clear over it for a nice deep gloss. We used epoxy resin as it seems to bite into the plastic much better....

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I like it, agree is doesn't look like real carbon, but it does look very similar to the "carbon" interior parts used in the M series BMW's and I think it would look great on an R33 GTR interior dash set.

Let me know if you want a set to practise on :thumbsup:

It doesn't look bad, as Mr Snowfiend says, I recently did a few bits:

I used the APA stuff though rather than the thicker 3M Di-Noc which looks a bit more matte and is slightly bluer... Both work well though :).

And very nice Cardiff :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
8,824 Posts
Hmmmm, you guys have too much time on your hands this winter ! LOL

·
Registered
787 Posts
In my opinion real carbon is in a different league to wrapping but like you have said its much cheaper.

I have been working on an interior piece and you can tell the difference from the wrapped look. This piece is still miles off from finishing, needs sanding trimming and a clear coat to gain that deep 3d look.

First Stage

Ready for sanding

Couple of pics of a quick demo to some school kids - was limited with time so the final product's quality was poor but showed the kids how strong and light this stuff really is.

Vac Bagged

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
OK resurrecting this thread.......Does anyone know where i can get the APA Carbon Wrap

I will be phoning the import company based in Kent on Monday but just wondered if anyone knew where it was sold off the shelf :confused:

Thanx and best regards Alan

21 - 28 of 28 Posts