GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im organising a run down the cat and fiddle on sunday the 9th of april. all welcome, already got alot of interest so should be a good turn out.

check out this link for a map of the route, meeting place and time to be confirmed.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30848

if your interested then copy and paste your name into the list below.

CAT AND FIDDLE RUN

hicks - mr2 MK2 turbo
goldy - mr2 MK2 NA
rob - supra tt
spittinflames - mr2 MK2 turbo
robbrookes5 - mr2 MK2 NA
neil_turbo - mr2 MK2 turbo

·
Registered
143 Posts
You know this is the most plod riddled route in Cheshire don't you? :D

if your interested then copy and paste your name into the list below.

CAT AND FIDDLE RUN

hicks - mr2 MK2 turbo
goldy - mr2 MK2 NA
rob - supra tt
robbrookes5 - mr2 MK2 NA
neil_turbo - mr2 MK2 turbo[/QUOTE]
projectblue - Skyline R34

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i know. had a few people mention the heavy police presence, need to try and resist booting it down the straight and concerntrate on the twisties.

glad to see you put your name down got an updated list with even more cars making it to 11 so far. should also have a couple of imprezas coming aswell but need to finalise with them before adding to the list.

CAT AND FIDDLE RUN

hicks - mr2 MK2 turbo
goldy - mr2 MK2 NA
rob - supra tt
robbrookes5 - mr2 MK2 NA
blue2 - mr2 MK2 NA
mr2-tom - mr2 MK2 turbo
mr2sexyok - mr2 MK2 NA
rx7mark - rx7

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, little update the meeting point is now confirmed at the tesco car park at 11:00 am with a prompt depart at 11:30. also an updated list of cars attending below

CAT AND FIDDLE RUN.

hicks - mr2 MK2 turbo
goldy - mr2 MK2 NA
rob - supra tt
robbrookes5 - mr2 MK2 NA
blue2 - mr2 MK2 NA
mr2-tom - mr2 MK2 turbo
mr2sexyok - mr2 MK2 NA
rx7mark - rx7
Mr Two - MR2 NA/Tubby
SwissHeavy - MR2 Mk2 NA
henry - impreza
Matt - Supra NA
Stu - mr2 MK2 turbo
Ian R - Mkiv Supra T60 single Turbo
Andy w - impreza

18 cars

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
need to round up some more troops as we seem to be stuck at 25 cars at the mo and only 1 of em is a skyline. im gonna post some final details soon like a map of the route and some general directions which you can write down before you come down incase you get lost. oh bring a map ;)

also quite a few of us have bought 2 way walkie talkies so we can radio each other while we are driving if we get lost, warn of any problems ahead ie police slow moving traffic etc. and let people know if the road is clear for overtaking. it should also generate some banter to brighten up the journey.

we did a test run of the route in the pouring rain and i have to say its awesome with the cat and fiddle, some nice fast sweeping roads leading up to bakewell which will include a drive through bakewell to annoy a few people then turning off through chatsworth and double backing on our selves back towards bakewell and turning off cutting through an absoluletly blinder of a road we stmbled accross which imo is better than the cat and fiddle as you can see the road up ahead and has alot less traffic on there. although its abit shorter. then we are staying at a pub in wirksworth (see pic) for a few drinks and some grub.

after the food we will be heading over to carsington water for some fast and flowing roads, back round to belper and then coming off the a6 to cut through towards buxton and back on the cat and fiddle.

CAT AND FIDDLE RUN

hicks - mr2 MK2 turbo
goldy - mr2 MK2 NA
rob - supra tt
robbrookes5 - mr2 MK2 NA
blue2 - mr2 MK2 NA
mr2-tom - mr2 MK2 turbo
mr2sexyok - mr2 MK2 NA
rx7mark - rx7
Mr Two - MR2 NA/Tubby
SwissHeavy - MR2 Mk2 NA
henry - impreza
Matt - Supra NA
Stu - mr2 MK2 turbo
Andy W- Impreza
Craig - Civic Type R
Steve - Impreza
Bradda - Mr2 Mk2 Turbo
Pete - Mitsubishi Evo
Tom - MR2 Mk1 Supercharger
Lauren & Mark MK1 SC SE or Uberbarge
Rich C - RX7

25 cars

kind regards

alex.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
right...

im back from our second test run and im pretty knackered. its been a fantastic day and have realy enjoyed it, especially as i could boot it this time and really looking forward to the real run on april 9th.

met tom at about 11:30 after we both ended up being late and took a few pics of the road through chatsworth on my way to the meeting point.

once tom arrived we decided to finish the route between bakewell and wirksworth off and tom sorted out an awesome road which is very straight forward so we shouldnt get lost.

we then stopped off at the pub where we intended on staying at the day to find what can only be desribed as a bomb site with 2 big lorry at the back of the car park along with 2 crappy looking caravans as well as another caravan near the building and what looked like a dismantled waltzer . so we decided to find another pub and carryed on the route through to carsington water and did a nice overtaking manouvere past tom around one of the fast sweepers to find my back end a big skitish under brakes.

after stopping off at a couple of other pubs which wasnt suitable we came accross a pub called the railway which had a huge car park end even with it being 1pm on a sunday there will still ample room for us all.

after a drink and a fantastic game of pool we headed back on the road and tom came up with a nice alteration to the route saving going up to towards belper and along the boring a6.

i was leading this time and as im crap with directions managed to take a wrong turning on the way towards buxton but did find this place for a few nice photos.

i showed them to stu on msn and he suggested we stop off there on the day and get a nice group photo. what do you guys think?

on the road that misses out buxton there is afantastic dip in the road that looks fantastic and tryed to get a picture of it but was too slow so took one of the road after the dip and took one of the dip its self on the way back but still alittle slow at getting the camera on i was about half way down and doesnt really give show the angle that this dip is at.

we finally made it onto the cat and fiddle which was wet and greasy so took it nice and easy, instead of going the full run though we tryed the suggested alternative and found it was awesome with roads very similar to the cat and fiddle but national speed limit and good visabilty of the road ahead.

we then head into macc and went to the tesco for a wee and some food but came out empty handed as they only had cheese toasties left but took this pic on the way over.

finally heading home up and over the cat and fiddle i tryed to take some pics but were either blurred or out of focus as my camera was focusing on the raindrops on the windscreen but did manage to get one clear photo but its abit poo

anyway just want to thank tom for today as i finally have to route finished and in my head so shouldnt get lost on the day, just need to figure out whos going first. we are planning on having one of us at the front and one in the middle sort of into 2 groups but may have to flip a coin who goes infront as part of the fun is being in the convoy and watching the cars/ peoples reactions as you pass.

updated list below now upto 35 cars

CAT AND FIDDLE RUN

hicks - mr2 MK2 turbo
goldy - mr2 MK2 NA
rob - supra tt
robbrookes5 - mr2 MK2 NA
blue2 - mr2 MK2 NA
mr2-tom - mr2 MK2 turbo
rx7mark - rx7
Mr Two - MR2 NA/Tubby
SwissHeavy - MR2 Mk2 NA
Matt - Supra NA
Stu - mr2 MK2 turbo
Andy W- Impreza
Craig - Civic Type R
Steve - Impreza
Bradda - Mr2 Mk2 Turbo
Pete - Mitsubishi Evo
Rich C - RX7
Bromy - Supra T61 Single
Billy Bravo - Audi A4 1.8t
Borat - mr2 something
[sig] - mr2 MK2 turbo
Andy - BMW 323i
Ste - 2.0l Nova
Andy - honda CRX
Andy - Golf GTi
Matty - impreza WRX
Aitch - Mitsubishi starion
Lee - mr2 MK2 Turbo
mr2sexyok- mr2 MK2 na
Marv144 - Mr2 Mk2 Turbo

35 cars

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok.

directions are done.

ive split them into two legs with a detailed description and some quick notes for the people with no passenger so they can have a quick glance and see whats coming up.

LEG 1

Come out of Tesco and turn right at the lights. At the roundabout, take a left onto a short dual carraigeway until you get to a crossroads with a set of lights (you need to be in the left hand lane). Take a left at the lights which is sign posted Buxton (A537). This is now the Cat and Fiddle.

Stay on this road all the way until you reach a junction - turn right then up the hill followed by a left. This road misses out Buxton and is still pretty good with a very spectacular dip in the road. You will come to a junction - turn right (towards Harpur Hill) and stay on this road till you reach the end. Turn left followed by another junction which you need to turn right (onto A515) followed by immediate left which has a filter lane and puts you on the A5270. Stay on this road until the end - turn right towards Bakewell (A6) - this is a 50 limit and has police cameras on a regular basis but soon opens up to national speed limit down a steep dual carraigeway and some nice twisties.

Before you go into bakewell, turn left towards Chesterfield (A6020). This road cuts out Bakewell and the boring 40-30 limits and links the route up with more nice roads - this leads to a roundabout. At the roundabout go straight on, onto a fast long straight with yet another junction at the end. Turn left followed by an immediate right sign posted Chatsworth House - go through Chatsworth untill you reach a junction. Turn right (A6) and head back towards Bakewell and look for a left (towards Ashbourne) which is just after the piece of road with the central reservation this links us to Wirksworth.

Take your first left (B5056)over a stone bridge and head down an excellent section of road until you get to the end - turn left towards Matlock (A5012). You now need to be looking out for a right turn then a quick left (B5023) - this road goes up hill - it runs parrallel to the road you are on. You need to be on that road. Go through Middleton - turn right (B5035) signposted Carsington Water. Just after the Knockerdown Pub turn left (again signposted Barsington Water). Carsington Water features some very fast sweeping corners ending in a fast straight with a junction at the end (surprise surprise) - turn left towrads Belper (A517) and head down that road until you get to a set of lights at a cross road - go over the lightsand The Railway Pub is on the left - WELL DONE - PARK THE CAR AND GRAB A WELL DESERVED PINT (of coke, of course!!)

Quick Notes

leave Tesco - turn right at lights.
at roundabout, take first exit.
keep left, left at lights - A537 C&F.
at junction turn right, take first left - Harpur Hill.
at junction turn right - towards Bakewell.
at junction turn left.
at junction turn right (A515).
take first left (A5270).
at junction turn right (A6 Bakewell).
take left (A6020 Chesterfield).
at roundabout - 2nd exit.
at junction turn left
take first right (Chatsworth House)
at junction turn right (A6 Bakewell)
after centre reservation take a left (Ashbourne)
take first left (over stone bridge)
at junction turn left (A5012 Matlock)
turn right, then immediate left (B5023)
turn right (B5035 Carsington Water)
take left after Knockerdown Pub (Carsington Water)
at junction turn left (A517 Belper)
over traffic lights
the Railway Pub on left.

LEG 2

Turn right (A517 Ashbourne) out of the The Railway Pub carpark and turn right at the crossroads with the traffic lights (B5023 Wirksworth). Enjoy this rollercoaster road (careful of the hidden bends in the hidden dips) and enter Wirksworth. Turn left to stay on the B5023 (Ashbourne) up a very steep hill towards Middleton.

Now retrace your steps from earlier up this road to the junction and turn right. Turn left onto the A5012 Buxton. At the junction turn right (A515 Buxton) and enjoy the fast straights, quick bends and the great views. Turn left into a filter lane and retrace your steps back through Harpur Hill (take this left followed by an immediate right). In Harpur Hill, turn left towards Macclesfield (with the spectacular dip).

Ok nearly on the Cat and Fiddle now. When you come to the end of this road turn right (A53 Buxton). Turn sharp left (A537 Macclesfield). Now your back on the first part of the Cat and Fiddle.

Instead of going the full run, turn left onto the A54 Congleton. This is a fantastic stretch which is national speed limit and has virtually no straights - with a good view ahead allowing you to use all the road.

You come to crossroads with a set of lights - turn right (A523 Macclesfield) and head back into Macclesfield Town.

WELL DONE, GUYS - A FANTASTIC RUN - GIVE YOURSELVES A PAT ON THE BACK, EXCHANGE NUMBERS WITH YOUR NEW FOUND FRIENDS AND HEAD BACK TO IMOC.CO.UK TO POST UP YOUR PICS AND SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCES!!!!

quick notes

right out of The Railway Pub (A517 Asbourne)
turn right at lights (B5023 Wirksworth)
in Wirksworth, turn right (B5023 Ashbourne)
at junction turn right, then left (A512 Buxton)
turn right (A515 Buxton)
turn left into filter lane then immediate right
turn left signposted Macclesfield
filter over to right and turn right (A53 Buxton)
take sharp left (A537 Macclesfield)
turn left (A54 Congleton)
at crossroad lights, turn right (A523 Macclesfield)
you are now in Macclesfield.

i will be printing about 40 copys off for on the day to hand out to everyone, all i ask is you bring a map.

see you there

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok,

all directions have now been printed off ready to be dished out on the day.

they are in two section with quick notes in a nice tidy leaflet which a mate of mine made and detailed directions on a seperate sheet.

the quick notes are mainly first drivers with no passenger so they can have a quick glance and see what to look for next, the detailed directions are for people with passengers who can read them out and help keep the driver on track.

we also have a few more down aswell

:eek:

CAT AND FIDDLE RUN

hicks - mr2 MK2 turbo
goldy - mr2 MK2 NA
robbrookes5 - mr2 MK2 NA
blue2 - mr2 MK2 NA
mr2-tom - mr2 MK2 turbo
rx7mark - rx7
Mr Two - MR2 NA/Tubby
SwissHeavy - MR2 Mk2 NA
Matt - Supra NA
Stu - mr2 MK2 turbo
Andy W- Impreza
Craig - Civic Type R
Steve - Impreza
Bradda - Mr2 Mk2 Turbo
Pete - Mitsubishi Evo
Rich C - RX7
Bromy - Supra T61 Single
Borat - mr2 something
[sig] - mr2 MK2 turbo
Andy - BMW 323i
Ste - 2.0l Nova
Andy - honda CRX
Andy - Golf GTi
Matty - impreza WRX
Lee - mr2 MK2 Turbo
mr2sexyok- mr2 MK2 na
Marv144 - Mr2 Mk2 Turbo
sulli - mr2 MK2 NA auto
John - Supra NA
Chris - Supra TT
Alan mc - Mr2 Mk2 Turbo
? - Merc e320
ben.g - mr2 Mk2 NA

40 cars

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
right, this is a last call out for interested partys.

this event is tommorow at 11am at the big tescos in macc.

we are stopping at a pub but they will not beable to cater food for 60 odd people so i would recomend you bring some sarnies.

if you are coming are running late tommorow please ring me to let me know so we can wait for you as if no one rings me we will be going at 11:30 sharp.

my mob no. is 07921258697

CAT AND FIDDLE RUN

hicks - mr2 MK2 turbo
goldy - mr2 MK2 NA
robbrookes5 - mr2 MK2 NA
blue2 - mr2 MK2 NA
mr2-tom - mr2 MK2 turbo
rx7mark - rx7
Mr Two - MR2 NA/Tubby
SwissHeavy - MR2 Mk2 NA
Stu - mr2 MK2 turbo
Craig - Civic Type R
Steve - Impreza
Bradda - Mr2 Mk2 Turbo
Pete - Mitsubishi Evo
Rich C - RX7
Bromy - Supra T61 Single
Borat - mr2 something
[sig] - mr2 MK2 turbo
Andy - BMW 323i
Ste - 2.0l Nova
Andy - honda CRX
Andy - Golf GTi
Matty - impreza WRX
Lee - mr2 MK2 Turbo
mr2sexyok- mr2 MK2 na
Marv144 - Mr2 Mk2 Turbo
sulli - mr2 MK2 NA auto
John - Supra NA
Chris - Supra TT
Alan mc - Mr2 Mk2 Turbo
? - Merc e320
ben.g - mr2 Mk2 NA
mr2_turbo - mr2 MK2 Turbo
peter- civic type r
johnathon - focus
mark - crx turbo
probedb - RX7
shaunwil - RX7
Swin - mr2 MK2 na
ian clements - mr2 MK1 na

46 cars

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks for doing all the organising and directions Alex, hope your manifold held up :D

Despite extensive printed instructions, a number of people [cough :D] got it wrong (hey, I was driving & navigating all on me own some!).
Some funny moments were had ie, when convoys of MR2's/RX7/Supras etc converged on one crossroads from different directions :D

Weather was er... mixed :D with just about every aspect of British weather experienced on the day. Pic of my return journey when it was getting a bit twitchy:
http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=449680#post449680

1 - 12 of 12 Posts