GTR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Me and my R35 live 3 miles from here and we're really depressed by

BBC News - Speed cameras for dangerous Cat and Fiddle road...

2 Key points

"Work to install seven cameras, which will record the average speed of vehicles on the 50mph road, is due to begin this week"

"The cameras are expected to be in use by the end of March."

The phrases "window of opportunity" and "last hurrah" spring to mind...

Discuss......

Guy

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
I drove that road about 2 weeks or so ago, heading to Buxton early on a Monday morning.

The weird thing was that there was a speed trap, but it was a copper backed up by a jam butty car down the road, but it was on the Macclesfield end as you drop down out of the trees and into the suburb below.

Strangely, this isnt the best road in the area, but the rozzers have an absolute hard on for it.

Must be because of all the slightly mad bikers.......

·
Administrator
31,883 Posts
any road where bikers die attract the old bil

some of the best roads in wales have high fatality rates for bikers, hence the trapping

mook

·
Registered
57 Posts
I live about 10 miles from the Cat and Fiddle and there are loads of speed traps around there and also on long Hill coming from Whaley Bridge, especially on sundays. Great road for the GTR. As a GTR owner and a cyclist (still trying to find a carbon wrap GTR bike rack!) give space to us cyclists on the Cat and Fiddle!

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
any road where bikers die attract the old bil

some of the best roads in wales have high fatality rates for bikers, hence the trapping

mook
I live on the A40 in Wales and weekends and Sundays in particular attract loads of bikers and hence a lot of speed traps. :mad:

·
Registered
57 Posts
LOL! Cant believe someone worked that out. Yes its an epiphany with full XTR! Many happy days spent on Jacobs Ladder, although I take the road bike up the Cat and Fiddle. I could do with Lichfield re-mapping my lungs and legs ready for summer. Will keep you posted on the bike rack. 911's get the full integrated bike rack option. Ive moaned on here before why the GTR cant have this or at least have fold down rear seats wither side of the transmission tunnel. Small details...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Why are they installing average speed cameras to catch bikers?

As the camera cannot read the non existent front number plate, this is one group of road users immune to the average speed camera!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Why are they installing average speed cameras to catch bikers?

As the camera cannot read the non existent front number plate, this is one group of road users immune to the average speed camera!
They're putting up both front and rear facing cameras.

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
I have good memories of the Cat & Fiddle from over a decade ago, on sports bikes with friends. I'd say most riders are fully aware this is a road which is unforgiving if you don't ride within your limits.
Seeing the way speed traps & cameras have spread like a plague in the UKover the last 15-20 years is saddening. I can understand arguments for and against, but the fact is it's gone way over the top there. Police state springs to mind...

I know friends there who simply remove their plates when riding for fun on weekends in UK.

I hate driving in the UK every time I go there nowadays... Changing a driving style to always be paranoid of over speeding and being caught when you're used to a country where speed traps are rare and there are none on country roads, etc. is a big contrast and not pleasant.
In Japan 60-70% of roads are in the mountains - and as theyre densely forested usually lined with blind bends. High performance bike riders here generally ride sensibly. Maybe it's the three tier licence system which is much more strict than in EU, or the fact most Japanese citizens are fairly law abiding / concious of other road users.
I do sometimes see some very hard ridden bikes on mountain roads, complete with race quality tyres. Maybe in comparison to UK the road surfaces are better, the quick bikes better prepared for riding hard (expensive / high quality after market suspension and brakes aren't uncommon) and people don't feel the compulsion to race each other here.
They mostly ride within their limits.
This one track mindedness that speed kills is irritating. It's not speed, it's incorrect judgement of the rider / driver that's the biggest danger.
As people with a taste for speed will go fast surely it's better to prepare them better through education when training than covering the whole of the UK with speed cameras & traps... But then it does make a lot of money for the government coffers...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts