GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had a great day with CAT Driver Training yesterday at Millbrook.

Decided I wanted some one to one coaching on performance driving techniques and getting the most from my R35 and this day certainly delivered!

We started on the Mile Straight, by exploring the GTR's immense stopping power. Even from very high speeds, it stops unbelievably quickly, but the best bit was learning to brake in the most optimal manner, without triggering the ABS.

Then on to the High Speed Bowl to look at use of power to control the vehicle, by doing rapid lane changes. Of course I also did some high speed runs and I went the fastest I've ever been:D. Not saying how fast, but lane 5 had an intermittent wildlife problem:nervous:, which meant a bit of caution was required;). Mental.

Next up, was looking at vehicle grip on the Apron; essentially driving in a tight circle, increasing throttle, until the edge of grip is exceeded. Then using throttle, rather than steering, to regain control. Boy this car hangs on.

The Handling Circuit was my next destination; essentially a short track, with a number of technical bends. A real blast here, learning about the right line, braking styles and getting the power on early in the bends. Getting faster lap after lap. :cool:, and I really feel like I am beggining to see what the car can do. Squealing tyres a good thing apparently!

Off to the Alpine Roads in the hills then for 2 sessions, and they were just as described. Tight bends, rapid descents and ascents, blind crests, hairpins, strong cambers..... all I can say is bloomin excellent for driving in an R35 and no need to go to the Alps to find them. Fast road driving at its best.

Finally back to the Handling Circuit to do some laps to test everyting I had learnt. Again the car just blew me away with what it could do.

Big thanks to Colin for a top day, and having someone by your side to guide you really makes a difference and I learnt loads. Millbrook is also fantastic venue and must qualify for the shortlist of petrolhead nirvana:D

·
Registered
104 Posts
how much did that cost, do you have to go back to your hpc to get the car looked at after or before, do the tyres need changing?
sounds like you had a gr8 time would be interested in doing that myself sounds good fun and letting the car go as it should without looking out for the speed cameras
is the course an all day thing or half day

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm at 4500 miles or thereabouts, and have had the 6k6m service. Anytime post optimisation, ought to be fine, albeit that the engine takes a while to loosen up fully.

Fluids stayed south of 100 C all day and that was with some pretty hard driving. Tyres look fine too.

Not planning on an HPC visit.

I did a whole day , check with CATDT for pricing. There is a group day coming up in the new year.

Much better than Race Academy for understanding and exploring what your beast can do.

Ed

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
CATDT are a sponsor of the forum and organise regular group sessions for GTROC members and occasionally for forum-only users. These are excellent days and, as well as giving you plenty of time on track and with some reeally good tuition they allow you to compare with other drivers your experience and get the most from the day. As more cars come into the UK we hope to do more of these as we do Skyline specific days already.

As far as your HPC is concerned they should be perfectly okay with it. Obviously you should be aware of how hard you push the car and the temperatures you rwach but overall the day should be viewed no more differently thatn some 'spirited driving on the roads'. Remember this is not a track or a runway this is a vehicle testing and proving ground so in that regard doesn't concern Nissan.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Brings back great memorys of a couple of months ago :cool:Colins tuition is first rate and Millbrook is exceptional.

Ed, Did you do the Caterhams at the end?

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
104 Posts
once again fantastic information cheers guys:thumbsup: need to get some miles under my belt only at 600 so away to go
when you say 'takes the engine to loosen up fully' do you mean on the day or the miles on the clock:D

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
once again fantastic information cheers guys:thumbsup: need to get some miles under my belt only at 600 so away to go
when you say 'takes the engine to loosen up fully' do you mean on the day or the miles on the clock:D
On the clock; around 5k is the consensus opinion I think

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
Glad you enjoyed your day Ed.

My day at Millbrook with the CATD team was by far the most enjoyable and informative day of driving in my life.

Now you have no excuses for Anglesey.... ;)

·
Vendor
1,688 Posts
Glad to read you had a great day on Saturday Ed :clap: Enjoy the Anglesey weekend - I'll look forward to reading how you get on :thumbsup:

2bar .... you're showing yourself here now - you must be serious :D Great to see you and keep us posted on your purchase ;)

Group event will be organised for 2010 - earliest could be end March due to the daylight needed. When the date is set you'll be the first to hear about it.

One to one training takes place all year - look in our trading area for details on R35 specific courses or our website for the standard offering. There is a discount for paid up members of the GTROC as we like you so much :chuckle:

Jo

·
Registered
535 Posts
Sounds like a great day, Ed. I will look forward to a GTROC group day next year! Does anyone know the score with insurance on these days? I assume most insurance companies will not cover, same as track days??

·
Registered
4 Posts
To be fair although your taking your cars and yourselves to new levels, it's never beyond what Colin/Nick feel is above your limitations.

The way the training is structured is for you to progress at a rate that you feel comfortable and above all what is deemed to be safe, dependant on your experience/ability.

I have done 2 events with CAT without trackday cover that includes Tarzan Yamada driving my old Evo IX GT :nervous:

But not in a brand spankers new GTR .. for the sake of the extra outlay gives that extra piece of mind..

From memory some policies out there are more lenient for driver training days as they are not time trials etc but wouldn't like to challenge that in an event of a claim.

·
Registered
168 Posts
CADT at Millbrook - insurance?

Sounds like a great day, Ed. I will look forward to a GTROC group day next year! Does anyone know the score with insurance on these days? I assume most insurance companies will not cover, same as track days??
You are right, insurance wont cover it, you would have to get special track insurance. There were 6 of us with GTR's a few months ago, and i believe most of us did not have insurance. As the day is about performance tuition, it is well structured, and under constant tuition (although you are encouraged to push the envelope). So, unlike a track day where other cars are around you (or behind you in the case of the GTR), you are mostly on track by yourself, and any other cars using the facilities are typically being driven by expert drivers testing for manufacturers.

It is a personal decision, but the real insurance is how you use your right foot!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts