GTR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
31,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any point on a standard engine? I've got one on mine just "because" and it's smelly and messy. Will it actually be doing any good or should I remove it?

Mike

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Breathing in oil mist increases the likelihood of detonation on an engine tuned to the max.
A catch can eliminates this.
The engine likes to have negative crank case pressure to aid smooth running. This is achieved with the standard oil breather system and the one way valve on the intake.
These are the facts. You decision can now be made.

·
Administrator
31,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it's the Cusco one

I've got to decipher what Andy said first lol.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I run a catch can on my racecar but don't like them on road cars as they tend to transmit an unpleasant hot oil smell through to the cabin.

The oil mist is only pulled from the crank case at very light load (negative
Manifold pressure) where the engine isn't det limited, so I am not convinced adding a catch tank adds any benefit on a lightly boosted (<1.5bar) road engine

·
Registered
26,890 Posts
ive always run one on the 32, 34, etc

got a cusco on the FD

ive placed a discontinued greddy one (new) in trade :)

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
ive always run one on the 32, 34, etc

got a cusco on the FD

ive placed a discontinued greddy one (new) in trade :)
Are these items you have fitted yourself?
If so, why?

·
Registered
26,890 Posts
32 came with one,

34 had one fitted by TS

the FD has one fitted by Knightsports

always kept them on, ran fine.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
My R32 had a cusco one fitted and i binned it. It was not suitable for the job. Far too restrictive.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
ive gone the whole hog on the track car.

homemade air/oil separator
5 section catch can.

but rbs will breath on track if its not done so depends on usage really

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Always run one on mine, even on a slightly modded RB they breath a bit.
To get rid of the smell, run the breather on a hose down the back of the car.....can't smell a thing.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I managed to get a look at a RIPZ RB30 breather system and that was very interesting. rob makes a point of not using a head drain.

His solution is to vent the sump just below flange level into the top of the catch tank with head vent also into the top, then he runs a second drain from the bottom of the catch can into the sump with a second fitting.

It's a setup I will be copying.

I have always thought the reason why head drains work is the allow the bottom end to vent (hence such large fittings need to be used) Robs solution tackles the routecause of the problem.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
How are the cam cover head vents configured ? Does he tee the two into one then to catch can or two seperate

1 - 17 of 17 Posts