GTR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys just a quick question can you tell me the pro's and con's off fitting an oil return to the sump from the catch tank.

thanks simon

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Obviously you don't "loose" oil anymore and it reduces crankcase pressure through the cambreathers because the block has a breather aswell, which in turn may result in less oil blowby through the cambreathers ;)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The quality of the oil from the catch can is not what you want returning to the sump, unless of cause you car breathes heavily, in which case you have other problems.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
@ iceager, yes you could but I wouldn't recommend it because then you don't vent the block to the atmosphere anymore.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi guys there seems to be a conflicting opinion,the reason i was asking about the catch cans is ive had one custom made by rips for my r34gtt its currently running 500bhp and i do get a bit of throw back into my catch can (a greedy),when emptying the can i noticed that there's fuel mixed with the oil and im thinking if i fit the new tank with the return to the sump the contents will mix with the good oil im my sump,which in turn will mean more frequent oil changes.(wont it).

thanks simon

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
I dont think you should ever run a catch tank back to the sump on a road car ....
For a start there shouldnt be any oil in it ....

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
So far I've not seen any sort of oil deposits in my catch tank, mine acts as a vent more than anything else.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Thats exactly right pupsi thats how it should be if the rings are working 100 right.
The real issue with the rb26 is ,without stating the obvious ,over supply of oil to the cam gallery and then the oil cant get out or it gets out the breathers that are positioned on the rear of the covers.
Which is why you fit 1.5mm oil restrictors to the supply ..
An easy fis to an existing engine s to fit rb25 cam covers, which go straight on but have the breather vents very close to the front.
Alloy catch cans are very prone to collecting condensation , which mixes with oil and then if you return it to the sump, add water to the oil , which IMHO is a bad idea.
Its a huge topic unfortunatly , also extensively covered on existing threads.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have the option of conecting my catch can upto my sump as it is a RIPS item but during the last build it was decided not to be a good idea to go down that path due to the problems with condensation collecting as mentioned.

Catch can has only ever had a thin coating on the inside with nothing of note emptied anyway.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Thats exactly right pupsi thats how it should be if the rings are working 100 right.
The real issue with the rb26 is ,without stating the obvious ,over supply of oil to the cam gallery and then the oil cant get out or it gets out the breathers that are positioned on the rear of the covers.
Which is why you fit 1.5mm oil restrictors to the supply ..
An easy fis to an existing engine s to fit rb25 cam covers, which go straight on but have the breather vents very close to the front.
Alloy catch cans are very prone to collecting condensation , which mixes with oil and then if you return it to the sump, add water to the oil , which IMHO is a bad idea.
Its a huge topic unfortunatly , also extensively covered on existing threads.
Thanks Glenn, I thought there was something wrong as to why I wasn't getting any oil in my catch-tank, you've cleared that up now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts