GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed lots of messages about the innards of the ceramic turbos saying goodbye at anything above 1.2. So it looks like steel innards are the way to go before I invest in my car big(ger) time

What I'd like to know is whats involved and what sort of gain can one :smokin: expect? I assume that the injectors and fuel pump etc would need to be uprated to cope with the extra demand from the uprated boost... but thats about the extent of my knowledge.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
The "gain" is being able to run higher boost pressure without the same dangers associated with ceramic internals. At 1.2 bar on stock steel turbos and otherwise standard equipment you should see 400bhp+.

As for injectors, etc - they should be ok. You should consider a suitable metal gasket that will also handle 1.2 bar though, if you haven't done so already.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Head gasket should be OK up to 1.3 bar. I'm running 1.3 bar on the road, 1.2 bar on track and it's held together so far, fingers very crossed. :eek: MM, etc. ran higher than that in the early days without many failures, I'm told. :)

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to the ole' timers

I was starting to feel lonely. :(

Well my motor is running (1.2 bar) on high boost and is putting out a respectable 420bhp (Thanks Abbey! + Mark!) and its great fun. The next step will to spend excrement loads and go for it, but I need something in between. My MFD tells me that the injectors are above 85% when going for it (But that was only on a track as I run it on 0.9 bar at all other times). So from your comments I would assume steel innards would allow me to run 1.2 with no worries although it would make sense to uprate the injectors and perhaps the head gasket.

As always, lots of options and will speak to Abbey soon.

Thank you and goodnight. The pub calls...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts