GTR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying an R32 GTS4 (1990)

I am told that this car has Ceramic Turbos (2 of them).

I need to know how reliable these are. Im not interested in turning them up for better boost, just want to turn heads!!

I have read that they are about as stable as a rocking horse, even at normal boosts.

Therefore, how much would it cost to get these replaced with steel ones (if they are not reliable at stock boot for every day use) ?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I have a 1991 GTS4, I can confirm it has ONE ceramic Turbo. The engine in this model is an RB20DET, which breaks down as...

RB = Race Bred
20 = 2.0 Litre
D = Double Overhead Cam
E = Electronic Fuel Injection
T = Turbo ...

If it were twin Turbo it'd be an RB20DETT .. an Idea that I have not yet fully dismissed given the availability of reasonably cheap standard turbos from GT-R's...

Reliability is an unknown for me as I've not run my car much yet, however I can confirm that its around £400 to convert the existing turbo to Steel innards...

Hope this is some help,

Dan

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ceramic internals

My last car celica gt4 had ceramic internals and was over 10years old and ran nitrous at 75bhp for about a8 months with no probs. My current overdraft creator - R33gtr - has twin ceramic turbos and has 70kmiles running about 350-380bhp for most of that and has no problems.
As far as I'm aware the internals on standard turbos are fine within their boost range for reliability - it's only if you push them outside of their tolerances that they have problems.

I'm not mechanically inclined but this is what i've picked up

Cheers
Iain

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
" Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same."
I like this.

My wife doesn't!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts