GTR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently bought a r33gtr and was wondering if turbos have been rebuilt or not? the car has been pretty well looked after and seems to have a lot of nice touches but nothing ott

one thing that makes me wonder is the hks evc has been set to 1bar, but warning at 1.25? if they were ceramic surely u wud set the warning a bit lower?

just wondered if anyone cud help or shed some light?

thanks ant

·
Registered
720 Posts
turbos

hi mate if your not sure of the history of the car dont take a chance, 1bar is max on standard internals,otherwise you could be unlucky and if it is ceramic it will shatter and could cause a lot of damage.

cheers simon

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ye i know just wondered if there is any way of checking?
the car has been tuned by ''garage saurus'' thats why im thinking they may have been done, surely they wouldnt set this to 1.25?

·
Banned
11,494 Posts
No easy way. The lag with steel turbines should be greater but you would need a car with ceramics to carry out a comparison.

The only real way is to take them out and see (or run 1.2bar and see if they exit via the tailpipe).

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
would the rolling road road tell?
1bar ceramic = ??bhp
1bar steel = ??bhp

also if u take the downpipes of can u tell them? if so wat do u look for?

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
BNR32
6,661 Posts
edmy said:
also if u take the downpipes of can u tell them? if so wat do u look for?
A quick search on the Register will tell you.

THe visual differences have been posted many times now.

But I can't quote them off hand. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
916 Posts
Take the elbow off one turbo, and look at the "Nut" in the centre of the turbine. If it's 12 pointed, ie no flats, then they're ceramic.

Regards

·
R35 Section manager
11,258 Posts
NigelR32 said:
Take the elbow off one turbo, and look at the "Nut" in the centre of the turbine. If it's 12 pointed, ie no flats, then they're ceramic.

Regards

Now thats true knowledge:clap: :bowdown1:

·
Registered
235 Posts
i have had the same sort of problem but with more to it, car came with all under bonnet hks boost controll equipment but controller unpluged, ecu has big garage saurus sticker. so i pluged it in and had a go down at pod. pulled 13sec quater all three times but anoying rining sound from evc. with just filter and evc!!! not till finished and on way home that mate was watching boost gauge and it read 30psi!!!!!!! unpluged and left alone since. i was a very lucky boy and will leave that sort of thing to the pro's. when gaskets need changing i will get someone who knows to have a look for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts