GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening All,

Been knockin about the forum a while, just wondering if anybody can help?

I changed the oil on my skyline recently and ever since then its not been working.

The car will now not start, and ive tried everything ( that i can think of! ). Trying to start the car it fires on 2-3 cylinder but wont catch.

Firstly, the car is running on a Power FC DJetro so AFMS arent a problem. All sensors have been checked and are fine, CAS sensor is fine and have even moved this while cranking, again no luck.
There is a spark, there is fuel.
I have changed the coils, the spark plugs, the amplifier, and treble checked the injecors ( these fire fine ). I have also uprated the fuel pump and changed the fuel filter.
I have checked the pulse signal on the PFC (pin 17) again no problems. I have also checked the ecu on another car, and the other car ran fine with there map on it ( my map was solid, no problems before oil change!! ). I have done a compression test on all cylinders, again everything is spot on.

The only thing that i can think of is that the voltage to the PFC ( checked on pin 58 ) drops to 10v on cranking, but im assuming this is normal?

The car has not got a cold start valve as this has all been removed, but it started fine before the oil change, and nothing else has been changed.

I really cant think of anything else to check!! :bawling::bawling::bawling:

Any ideas anybody? ( yes theres petrol in the car!! )

Any help very much appreciated!!

SI :(

·
Registered
371 Posts
Your car is ...... lol no if i was you i wood back track every thing u touched eg on my car were the oil filter is the loom is nearabouts check al connections maybee you have broke sumthing wen tighting the filter or niped a wire thats all i can think off wot a weird falt try to be nice to a motor then it ****s up un lucky:smokin:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
check for spark by taking out a plug and holding next to the block (with big long plioers lol) if you have the spark then put that back together and take off the fuel pipe coming to the engine from the filter, turn on ignition and see it the fuel is priming through properly.
i know this sounds really stupid but when you are willing somthing to work you start imagining its about to. could have sworn mine was starting to catch untill i figured it had no fuel pump in lol.
failing that would check connections around the oil filter as said above.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
i note you say voltage drops to 10v when cranking at the ecu, you say there is fuel, but is there pressure?. the intank fuel pump wont work if voltage is below 11v, try charging the battery fully first..bernie

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot to add,

the car ran for about 10 minutes before cutting out completely when driving. Managed to start her after five minutes. But the car just didnt feel or sound right, wouldnt hold idle, nursed her home, and then it wouldnt start after that.

I have checked the spark plugs by holding them over the rocker cover - there definitly is spark. I have re earthed the engine as well, just to check that.

The battery is fine, ive checked the voltage on that, and have tried to jump the car with a running car, again checked the voltage at the same time.

There is plenty of fuel in the fuel line, and have also plumbed in a pressure gauge to check that, again the fuel pressure is spot on no problems. So what would cause an engine to not fire when theres fuel and spark?!

Thanks for all the replies!!

SI

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
ok si, if i was in your place i would now be checking compression in the cylinders, if you have spark and fuel pressure, plus correct battery voltage i can only think of a few things, try to borrow a cas, and a ign amp to try, then do a compression test..bernie

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
have swapped the CAS and the ignition amplifier off of a working car and no difference, have already done a compression check and it was fine on all cylinders.

this is why im so puzzled!!

i have no idea what it could be, im trying today to drain the tank and put some more petrol in, just wondering if a bad batch of petrol could do it.... other than that really am running out of ideas what it could be.

SI

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
true si, if the tank at the station was low and there was a lot of water residue left, you could have got a bad batch, i have heard of this in the past, worth a try.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i really hope so.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help though. Just wanting to get this sorted and enjoy the last bit of summer in the car!!

If anyone has any ideas at all please post, im sure its not a mechanical issue, but i will check anything!

Cheers

SI

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
going to change the fuel now, and take the plenum off ect and check whats happening.

fingers crossed it starts, most frustrating thing is its so close to starting!!

·
Registered
662 Posts
check you have 12v at the injectors
there swiched by the earths so all should have a constant 12v feed
could be the ballast risistor failed?randomly
you need to check u have 6 sparks and 6 injectors fireing
if you have check cam timeing it may have skipped
had a car last week was running not right and wen i removed the cam cover the tensioner fell into my hand :/ -pug diesel
id just driven it onto the ramp lol
no bent valves how lucky is that :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
wouldnt be an oil leak and not eough in it after the change would it....?

seems absurdly simple so unlikely...

·
Registered
435 Posts
Check the vacum pipes that are going to the Apexi power FC map sensors, maybe during the proces of changing the oil/filter you have pulled a vacum pipe.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
check you have 12v at the injectors
there swiched by the earths so all should have a constant 12v feed
could be the ballast risistor failed?randomly
you need to check u have 6 sparks and 6 injectors fireing
if you have check cam timeing it may have skipped
had a car last week was running not right and wen i removed the cam cover the tensioner fell into my hand :/ -pug diesel
id just driven it onto the ramp lol
no bent valves how lucky is that :)

Have checked the ballest resistor and 12v supply to the injectors, as it happens the cam timing was out, but not sure if this has happened when we tried to bump the car last night and it did jault... thought it might have been the diff as left it in 4wd :chairshot

Changing the Cambelt tonight, done a compression test already, everything is spot on by the looks of it, no bent valves!!
So new belt and check timing and fingers crossed it should be ok i hope!

Its difficult to say thought, the engine sounds different now to how it did before we jumped it, so the belt could have slipped twice?

I will update later.

Thanks for the help tho mate! :D

SI

1 - 15 of 15 Posts