GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna be changing my oil and filter shortly (DIY job) and having never done this before I thought I'd ask if there's anything I need to know...? I've usedthe search button but strangely enough there doesn't seem to be anything on this very basic topic :(

How much of a ballache is it to change the filter? Looks pretty cramped...

Otherwise I'm assuming it's the usual story - warm engine up, jack car up, unfasten sump plug bolt, leave oil to drain for 10 minutes or so. Remove oil filter (swear curse and skin knuckles), thin film of fresh oil on new filter's O ring seal, tighten new filter hand tight. Clean sump, refit sump plug bolt, check car is flat then fill up with 4.5 litres of fresh oil.

I've previously had to use a pukka oil filter removal tool (the handle with a small chain on it) and where that failed a trusty screwdriver through the filter casing in previous stubborn cases on different cars, but there appears to be no room for this whatsoever on the Skyline - any hints or tips before I completely fcuk it up? :D:clap:

·
Registered
717 Posts
its a pain because of the room....i use a strap filter wrench rather than chain and 9 times out of 10 comes off no probs....other than that you covered the lot i think :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
a screwdriver through the filter works just as good as those strap filter wrenches

1 - 7 of 7 Posts