GTR Forum banner

Did you get backache when changing your battery?

• Yes, me too!

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Not me, you're clearly falling to bits ...

Votes: 24 53.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the battery on my R33 today and it was backache city! Leaning over for that length of time while I undid all of the bits I had to to get to the battery and then do them all back up again played havoc with my back.

Maybe I'm getting old (scary as I'm not even 40 yet) but has anyone else who changed an R33 battery also got backache?

Not sure where the R34 battery is but I know R32 users get an easier time ...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I cant remember when I did mine a year ago, but yes it is a pain in the ****. If you can somehow jump in the back and fit in the boot, it makes it a bit easier though

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Kingsley,

If you think an R33 is difficult try an R34, then you would have reason to moan:D

I have done both on more than one occasion & would prefer a 33 anytime, There must be 20 bolts & 10kg's of bracing panel in a 34:eek:

Thosed R32 owners have got it easy;)

Dave.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
s2gtr said:
If you think an R33 is difficult try an R34, then you would have reason to moan:D

There must be 20 bolts & 10kg's of bracing panel in a 34:eek:
argh! Not looking forward to changing the battery on my 34 then :(

I had a feeling it would be a pain to do. (pun intended! :D)

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Dave, there is a way on the R34 to make the job like on a R33. The key is to remove the rear wiper arm, and motor (just three bolts holding the motor) and then you have "just" enough space to tilt the battery and remove it without removing the bracing.

But i know what you mean; removing the bracing on the '34 is a mission on its own!!!

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One thing I'm wondering - I realise that the R33 battery is behind the back seat for weight distribution reasons. Is it primarily because they wanted less weight at the front or more of it at the back? Wondering what difference having a ligher battery would make (minimal I know) ...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Try removing broken exhaust manifold studs.. The meaning of back pain! Took me two days to recover. Got fat fingers too..

Or maybe that's just the pies.. :)

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
s2gtr said:
Not with the battery I have fitted Virdee:D

Dave.;)
What the hell did you fit? And did you have to change the terminals?

·
Registered
92 Posts
kingsley said:
One thing I'm wondering - I realise that the R33 battery is behind the back seat for weight distribution reasons. Is it primarily because they wanted less weight at the front or more of it at the back? Wondering what difference having a ligher battery would make (minimal I know) ...
hmm i always thought the battery was in the back as a precaution. Should the car have an accident it is away from the fluids leaking out of the engine minimising the chance of a fire :confused:

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
What the hell did you fit? And did you have to change the terminals?
Hi Virdee.

Fitted an 065 56AH 440 CCA that really spins it over in the morning:D

Dont want to have to change it again & with that battery should not have to;)

Also changed the terminals to Gold plated audio ones:)

Regards,

Dave.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts