GTR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I started pulling the turbo's today, didn't get very far at all. How the heck do you get the the bottom manifold bolts? What I'm trying to do is pull the turbo and manifold together, is that the way to get them out?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
826 Posts
ive just took mine off on sunday,and it was a nightmare.
i used a uv joint on an extension bar for most of them,one was very tricky and had to be accessed like this,

let the turbo drop down and get in through the gap. :eek:

·
Registered
229 Posts
I just did mine this weekend and it took about 6 hours, but that could be the bolts were all antisiezed also.

I would recommend to take the back turbo off first. Loosen up to manifold turbo bolts rear and front turbo. Take the nuts off the back manifold, the rear turbo should drop down enough for you to use an extension and a rachet to take the bottom nuts off. Once the rear manifold is loose you can take that off and take the turbo out. For the front, the turbo doesn't drop much, if you have small hands like me you can acutally fit a 3/8 rachet with a 12mm socket to take off the bottom nuts. If not you can use the swivel (CV) type to go between the turbo and the manifold to get the bottom nuts out. After that you'll need to finagal the manifold off.

John

·
Registered
229 Posts
I forgot there's no editing, it took 6 hours to take out the 2530's and install the stock N1's.

John

·
Registered
646 Posts
Drop the motor for a turbo swap...gives you a chance to get everything tight on reassembly and to check condition of oil/water pipework etc.

·
Registered
233 Posts
ditto carter john, thats how i did mine, took turbo's out first then manifold, it makes life easier if you wrap tape around your uj joint so it doesn't flop around as much. It is not a nice job. Sure would be better to take engine out but I didn't have the facilities. I didn't touch air con or power steering.

Just how I did it, no doubt there are many ways to skin a cat.

Ed

·
Registered
562 Posts
Lucky for me I just got my RB26DETT front cut to swap into my S14 sowhile the engine is out I am gonna be swapping turbos. My plan is to go top mount so that should eliminate that problem. Other than that, good advice on taking the rear turbo off then maybe the rear mani and then tackle the front turbo, making sure to bookmark all steps and labelling all bolts for reinstall. The RB26DETT has much more gadgets compared to what I am used to in the SR20DET. Hopefully project should be on the way by end of year and completed by early 2007.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.